Is any of your relatives a famous/known/notorious person?

Started by Pedrito, October 13, 2015, 02:03:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

My family is rather unremarkable.

Two of my paternal uncles fought the nazis and the communists and got the highest level military medals from the underground state (little good it did them, as one of them was killed by the nazis and the other by communists). My paternal grandfather was a kulak who died of a heart attack after his sons were killed (my dad was one of thirteen children).

My maternal grandfather was also in the anti-communist resistance (and he was imprisoned during the post-war era). Too bad he was a fucking asshole who terrorised my grandmother, my mum and my aunt (who ended up single, depressed, schizophrenic and died a couple of years ago).

Valmy

Just a normal boring kind of East European family. Executed by the Nazis yada yada
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Martinus

Quote from: Valmy on October 20, 2015, 02:38:05 PM
Just a normal boring kind of East European family. Executed by the Nazis yada yada

Yeah. :P

It's just funny that people who are "heroes" often end up as assholes in their private lives. Or perhaps it's not funny - one's emotional capacity can only stretch that thin, I suppose.

MadImmortalMan

"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Berkut

I have a couple brothers who might become famous for all the wrong reasons...well, no, even that isn't true. They are too petty and pathetic to even become criminally notable.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Malthus

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Eddie Teach

Martinus

DGuller

What kinds of relatives are we talking here?  Family, or The Family?  :ph34r:

Eddie Teach

Malthus

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on October 20, 2015, 02:42:14 PM
Quote from: Malthus on October 20, 2015, 02:34:57 PM
Was he the Imperial Grand Wizard or something of that sort?  :hmm:

Of West Virginia. Yes.

In a horrible way, that is kinda awesome.  :D A link to history!
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Malthus

Quote from: Martinus on October 20, 2015, 03:35:58 PM
Quote from: Malthus on October 20, 2015, 03:28:24 PM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on October 20, 2015, 02:47:22 PM
Do wizards or dragons rank higher?

Are we talking about the KKK, or AD&D?  :D

Kobolds, Kenders and Kritters? :D

The real KKK weren't nearly as cute as any of those.  :P

Valmy

If the KKK had instead focused on the persecution of Kender I might have joined up.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Malthus on October 20, 2015, 04:00:48 PM
Quote from: MadImmortalMan on October 20, 2015, 02:42:14 PM
Of West Virginia. Yes.

In a horrible way, that is kinda awesome.  :D A link to history!

My dad discovered it because the pic was in his history textbook in junior high.

We don't know much about it though, because grandma was apparently incredibly ashamed of her dad's...extracurricular activities. He might be a murderer for all we know. I do know great grandad was a barber, and had several shops. Where the hair of all the most horrible people in Appalachia was cut.

If you think about it, it's the obvious best thing to do if you're a subversive dick in 1935.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers