Gaza Could Become ‘Uninhabitable’ by 2020, U.N. Report Warns

Started by jimmy olsen, September 07, 2015, 10:17:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

What do you guys think? A realistic prospect?

http://time.com/4019509/gaza-uninhabitable-unctad/

QuoteGaza Could Become 'Uninhabitable' by 2020, U.N. Report Warns

Jack Linshi @jacklinshi
  Sept. 1, 2015 Updated: Sept. 6, 2015 12:42 PM ET

"Reconstruction efforts are extremely slow relative to the magnitude of devastation," the report said

The Gaza Strip could become "uninhabitable" within five years, a United Nations report released Tuesday warns, as a result of Israeli military operations and a nearly decade-long blockade that have crippled its economy and infrastructure.

Gaza, a small territory that's home to about 1.8 million Palestinians, had "no time for meaningful reconstruction or economic recovery" after eight years of a devastating Israeli economic blockade, wrote the United Nations Conference on Trade and Development (UNCTAD) in its annual report. The agency, which has provided assistance to displaced Palestinians, also attributed the impoverished conditions to three successive Israeli military operations over the past six years.

"The social, health and security-related ramifications of the high population density and overcrowding are among the factors that may render Gaza unliveable by 2020, if present trends continue," the U.N. report said. "Reconstruction efforts are extremely slow relative to the magnitude of devastation, and Gaza's local economy did not have a chance to recover."

The most recent Israeli military operation in 2014 left more than 20,000 Palestinian homes, 148 schools and 60 healthcare centers in Gaza damaged or destroyed, according to the U.N.

Correction: This article originally misstated the period when buildings in Gaza sustained damage as detailed by the U.N. report. It was during the war of 2014.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Monoriu

I can't remember the number of people who say that Hong Kong is too crowded and is uninhabitable.  I think humanity is capable of living in densities that are much higher than Gaza's.

dps

Unable to sustain the present population?  I'd buy that as a possibility.  Uninhabitable?  No.

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Monoriu on September 07, 2015, 11:06:10 PM
I can't remember the number of people who say that Hong Kong is too crowded and is uninhabitable.  I think humanity is capable of living in densities that are much higher than Gaza's.

I don't believe either is capable of feeding itself.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Crazy_Ivan80

Richard Hakluyt

I don't agree that it is a simple binary inhabitable/uninhabitable situation. It would seem likely that the habitability of the region is decreasing, but will it be unihabited by 2020? Ridiculous.

Valmy

Hamas voters have to ask themselves: are you better off than you were ten years ago? Too bad because you are never voting again.

But seriously I think the US should have  standing policy: any Palestinian or Israeli who is tired of all the shit should be allowed to move here. Eventually the damn place would be deserted.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Syt

1.8 million people live in Gaza? That's impressive considering their size and infrastructure (or lack thereof).

By comparison:

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

DGuller

Quote from: Syt on September 08, 2015, 08:30:25 AM
1.8 million people live in Gaza? That's impressive considering their size and infrastructure (or lack thereof).

By comparison:

And it's not like New York City is particularly inhabitable either.

alfred russel

Quote from: Valmy on September 08, 2015, 07:47:51 AM
But seriously I think the US should have  standing policy: any Palestinian or Israeli who is tired of all the shit should be allowed to move here. Eventually the damn place would be deserted.

I don't know how well that would be received by the Arabic community. Many are very concerned with the emigration from Palestine and what impact that is having on the demographics of the region. There is a widespread opinion that Israeli policy is designed to encourage them to leave so that the Jews can take over the West Bank and East Jerusalem. I would think a proposal like what you propose would be viewed as supplementing what the Israelis are theoretically trying to do (considering I doubt all that many Israelis would want to leave).
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Valmy

Nationalists don't give a shit if people suffer so they can use human beings as weapons to wage their nationalistic douchebag wars? Shocking.

And fuck them and their demographics. When 5 million Pals are starving to death in the Gaza strip they will declare victory I am sure. 'We made the Israelis look bad! Hurrah!'

Quote(considering I doubt all that many Israelis would want to leave)

The fact we have 500,000 of them living here suggests otherwise.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

lustindarkness

Gaza Could Become 'Uninhabitable' by 2020, yeah, when Iran nukes Israel the whole area will be uninhabitable for a while.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

The Brain

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on September 08, 2015, 01:42:42 AM
I don't agree that it is a simple binary inhabitable/uninhabitable situation. It would seem likely that the habitability of the region is decreasing, but will it be unihabited by 2020? Ridiculous.

Yeah an empty Gaza in 2020 seems highly unlikely.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.