Gaza Could Become ‘Uninhabitable’ by 2020, U.N. Report Warns

Started by jimmy olsen, September 07, 2015, 10:17:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malthus

Quote from: Valmy on September 08, 2015, 09:10:42 AM
Nationalists don't give a shit if people suffer so they can use human beings as weapons to wage their nationalistic douchebag wars? Shocking.

And fuck them and their demographics. When 5 million Pals are starving to death in the Gaza strip they will declare victory I am sure. 'We made the Israelis look bad! Hurrah!'

Quote(considering I doubt all that many Israelis would want to leave)

The fact we have 500,000 of them living here suggests otherwise.

There are also 200,000 American citizens living in Israel ... I doubt there are quite so many Americans who choose to live in Gaza.  :hmm:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_diaspora

All first-world countries have lots of people from other first-world contries living in them (there are also hundreds of thousands of Americans living in Canada, and Canadians living in America). Living in Tel Aviv isn't anything comparable to living in Gaza, though.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Valmy

As a percentage of all Israelis 500,000 is a pretty enormous number. I would presume those American citizens are the Aliyah types and their descendants.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Malthus

Quote from: Valmy on September 08, 2015, 10:57:40 AM
As a percentage of all Israelis 500,000 is a pretty enormous number. I would presume those American citizens are the Aliyah types and their descendants.

Many of them are Jews moving to Israel for religious or Zionist reasons. Many of them, if they are like the Canadians who I know have moved there, are simply following tech jobs.

I am under the impression you think that Gaza and Israel are in some ways similar to each other, and that is why lots of Israelis are found living elsewhere. Nothing could be further from the truth. Israel has tons of problems, but for those who have an educated background, it is in general a pretty prosperous place - judging Israel by the news reports of battles with Palestinians is like Euros judging America by the news reports of racial riots in Ferguson. It ain't, to put it mildly, all like that.   
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Valmy

Israel certainly has its pluses but it is a pretty intense place to live. After awhile people get tired.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Malthus

Quote from: Valmy on September 08, 2015, 12:46:55 PM
Israel certainly has its pluses but it is a pretty intense place to live. After awhile people get tired.

Hey, I live in Canada. From a Canadian perspective, America looks like a pretty intense place to live - full of gun-toting lunatics, race riots, insane politicians, etc.  ;)

Valmy

Quote from: Malthus on September 08, 2015, 01:00:08 PM

Hey, I live in Canada. From a Canadian perspective, America looks like a pretty intense place to live - full of gun-toting lunatics, race riots, insane politicians, etc.  ;)

True but we all sit inside and get fat. That takes the edge off.

Razgovory

Quote from: DGuller on September 08, 2015, 08:40:15 AM
Quote from: Syt on September 08, 2015, 08:30:25 AM
1.8 million people live in Gaza? That's impressive considering their size and infrastructure (or lack thereof).

By comparison:

And it's not like New York City is particularly inhabitable either.

Hey, I can see your apartment in that one!
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

alfred russel

After spending all of one week in Israel, which of course does not make me an expert on long term habitation there, I really don't think it is so intense. I felt like it was a really safe place, and the statistics seem to back that up, news reports notwithstanding.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014