When drivers hit pedestrians in China, they make sure to kill them

Started by jimmy olsen, September 06, 2015, 06:29:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dps

Quote from: Ideologue on September 07, 2015, 02:18:10 AM

Well, it wouldn't happen in the US because if you claimed you thought you were repeatedly running over a bag of trash in the US, a jury would convict you and a judge would sentence you to life in prison or lethal injection.  But then again we have a little thing called "rule of law."

Yeah, even in the US (and I would guess the rest of the West as well), purely from the standpoint of civil liability, the attitude that Mono describes would probably make economic sense.  But even aside from culturally having more of a sense of empathy, that shit wouldn't fly here because the criminal justice system would come down on you if you deliberately ran over someone a 2nd time after hitting them accidentally initially.

Ideologue

I kind of guessed that the subtext is that Chinese judges are uniquely amenable to being bribed.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Razgovory

Quote from: dps on September 07, 2015, 03:25:14 PM

Well, it wouldn't happen in the US because if you claimed you thought you were repeatedly running over a bag of trash in the US, a jury would convict you and a judge would sentence you to life in prison or lethal injection.  But then again we have a little thing called "rule of law."

Yeah, even in the US (and I would guess the rest of the West as well), purely from the standpoint of civil liability, the attitude that Mono describes would probably make economic sense.  But even aside from culturally having more of a sense of empathy, that shit wouldn't fly here because the criminal justice system would come down on you if you deliberately ran over someone a 2nd time after hitting them accidentally initially.

Even In Euro countries where the punishments aren't nearly as stiff this kind of thing doesn't happen.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Camerus

My nutshell impression after having lived in China for 5 years is that Chinese are far less willing to help strangers than Westerners are, but that Chinese are far more willing to go out of their way to help family members, even at considerable personal inconvenience.

Monoriu

Quote from: Camerus on September 07, 2015, 05:09:46 PM
My nutshell impression after having lived in China for 5 years is that Chinese are far less willing to help strangers than Westerners are, but that Chinese are far more willing to go out of their way to help family members, even at considerable personal inconvenience.

Yes.  Because family members are the only ones who will provide help, so it makes sense to help them as well. 

Razgovory

I wonder if you will see an end of that as China further urbanizes.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

dps

Quote from: Razgovory on September 07, 2015, 04:33:25 PM
Quote from: dps on September 07, 2015, 03:25:14 PM

Even In Euro countries where the punishments aren't nearly as stiff this kind of thing doesn't happen.

Sure, in the US you'd almost certainly get a longer prison term (if not the chair), but even in Euroland you'd likely spend a few year in prison.