When drivers hit pedestrians in China, they make sure to kill them

Started by jimmy olsen, September 06, 2015, 06:29:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tonitrus

I guess those cases of vigilantism cited in the article that at least some Chinese are decent, socially-minded folks.

dps

Too bad Seedy isn't around to call for us to nuke the place.

Valmy

Quote from: Monoriu on September 06, 2015, 07:26:09 PM
Quote from: Valmy on September 06, 2015, 06:31:32 PM
Does the Communist Party still possess the mandate from heaven?

I am surprised about the frequency that I get this question from westerners.  The mandate of heaven is both difficult to get and lose. 

Yeah I guess if the corrupt and inept Qing regime can hold it for so long...
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Monoriu on September 06, 2015, 07:30:20 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on September 06, 2015, 06:42:32 PM
Seems sensible.  Wouldn't you kill somebody who could and would make you a slave for the rest of your or their lifetime?  Of course, which is why most countries don't permit that.

I'm surprised China does: is there a reason why the words "bankruptcy" and "insurance" are never mentioned in the article once? :unsure:

There is no personal bankruptcy in mainland China.  You owe people money, you repay them.  Or your children do.  There is no escape.  So don't borrow unless you have your back against the wall.
China won't be able to transition to a first word economy until that changes.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Martinus

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on September 06, 2015, 09:40:52 PM
It's called "empathy". The ability and willingness to consider what you would feel if you were in that person's position. :mellow:

Are you suggesting that the Chinese are an alien species only masquerading as humans?

Martinus

Quote from: DGuller on September 06, 2015, 09:13:26 PM
On the Russian dashboard video site, videos from China almost always have just a single tag: "China is, as always, fucked up".

It says something about a country if even Russians consider it FUBAR.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Martinus on September 07, 2015, 01:13:37 AM
Are you suggesting that the Chinese are an alien species only masquerading as humans?

Mono's post suggests rather that they are robots.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Tonitrus

Jaron

In the US, this would never happen. I think some people would walk away but generally I think someone will always help. We have events like the murder of Kitty Genovese but these events generally offend us as people. However, that might be because dealing with the authorities is generally not unpleasant (unless you're black I guess) and most accidents like this don't involve crime lords.
Winner of THE grumbler point.

Ideologue

Quote from: Monoriu on September 06, 2015, 07:30:20 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on September 06, 2015, 06:42:32 PM
Seems sensible.  Wouldn't you kill somebody who could and would make you a slave for the rest of your or their lifetime?  Of course, which is why most countries don't permit that.

I'm surprised China does: is there a reason why the words "bankruptcy" and "insurance" are never mentioned in the article once? :unsure:

There is no personal bankruptcy in mainland China.  You owe people money, you repay them.  Or your children do.  There is no escape.  So don't borrow unless you have your back against the wall.

Of course. :lol:

Anyway, they did that in Hong Kong?  Imputing debt to children violates more than just the common law, but--if I'm not mistaken--British constitutional principles.  Certainly it would violate our own.

You didn't answer why "insurance" isn't mentioned.

Quote from: JaronIn the US, this would never happen. I think some people would walk away but generally I think someone will always help. We have events like the murder of Kitty Genovese but these events generally offend us as people. However, that might be because dealing with the authorities is generally not unpleasant (unless you're black I guess) and most accidents like this don't involve crime lords.

Well, it wouldn't happen in the US because if you claimed you thought you were repeatedly running over a bag of trash in the US, a jury would convict you and a judge would sentence you to life in prison or lethal injection.  But then again we have a little thing called "rule of law."
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Queequeg

Quote from: Monoriu on September 06, 2015, 09:27:56 PM
On the Russian dashboard video site, videos from China almost always have just a single tag: "China is, as always, fucked up".

My theory is that one of the key differences between Chinese and westerners is the likelihood of getting help from strangers, if a stranger will act in the face of an injustice or a call for help, and if there is peer pressure for one to act for the greater good.  In China, if a vehicle repeatedly hits a pedestrian and the act is witnessed, the expected reaction from the crowd is silence and indifference.
My dad talks a lot about how Japanese will go out of their way to help (ethnically Japanese) strangers.  I'm not sure this is intrinsic to "the East."
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Monoriu

Quote from: Ideologue on September 07, 2015, 02:18:10 AM

Anyway, they did that in Hong Kong?  Imputing debt to children violates more than just the common law, but--if I'm not mistaken--British constitutional principles.  Certainly it would violate our own.

You didn't answer why "insurance" isn't mentioned.

Hong Kong has personal bankruptcy.  It is entirely possible to declare bankruptcy and be rid one's debt after a number of years. 

I have no idea how insurance works on the mainland. 

Tonitrus

Quote from: Queequeg on September 07, 2015, 02:26:12 AM
Quote from: Monoriu on September 06, 2015, 09:27:56 PM

My theory is that one of the key differences between Chinese and westerners is the likelihood of getting help from strangers, if a stranger will act in the face of an injustice or a call for help, and if there is peer pressure for one to act for the greater good.  In China, if a vehicle repeatedly hits a pedestrian and the act is witnessed, the expected reaction from the crowd is silence and indifference.
My dad talks a lot about how Japanese will go out of their way to help (ethnically Japanese) strangers.  I'm not sure this is intrinsic to "the East."

They also go out of their way to help tall, white tourists too.  :sleep:

Monoriu

Quote from: Queequeg on September 07, 2015, 02:26:12 AM

That is my impression of the Japanese as well. 

Monoriu

I think an issue with China is that there is basically no public health care.  If a seriously injured person is taken to the hospital, an upfront payment in cash must be made before he will get treatment.  Somebody will have to pay up, either the injured person himself, or whoever is responsible for the injury.  If the payment isn't made, chances are, he'll be expelled from the emergency room. 

That's why some people who are injured in traffic accidents in China insist coming back to Hong Kong for emergency treatment.  Sometimes with their skulls partially opened.