Do you put / are you open to putting Election Candidate Signs on your Lawn?

Started by PRC, August 10, 2015, 05:38:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Do you put / are you open to putting Election Candidate / Party Signs on your Lawn?

YES, I would proudly show my support of the candidate & party by putting their signs on my lawn.
6 (17.6%)
NO, I value my windows not being broken and I hide my political affliation from my neighbours.
28 (82.4%)
I'd vote for Jaron / I live in a condo or my parents basement.
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 34

Admiral Yi

If I had my own place I'd be happy to put up a yard sign.

Fat Boy for President.

katmai

I have put up  signs in past and would be willing to do so again.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

viper37

Quote from: PRC on August 10, 2015, 05:38:12 PM
Not sure if election signs is a thing in Europe but as we're in election mode in both Canada and the US thought i'd ask. 

I imagine Barrister Boy already has his giant Conservative Party of Canada billboard up in his front yard... what about everyone else?
No.  I don't want to offend clients that don't think like me.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Martinus

I am surprised by the answers from some people here, like katmai - I guess it must really be a cultural thing.

Here (and, I suspect, in most of Europe), most people wouldn't do it, and it wouldn't be for reasons listed in the "NO" option - simply put, being apparently so much into politics that you would be willing to display your candidate's sign in your lawn, would mark you as a loon.

In Poland, it is borderline acceptable to fly the national flag in your window during major holidays (and even that varies from a person to a person and from a holiday to a holiday). I don't do it, for example, and not sure about my parents (they did it during the "unofficial" holidays, such as the 3th of May/Constitution Day, when it wasn't a holiday, during the communist era, as a sign of defiance).

Archy

Here in Belgium there are a lot of signs on private property. I never did it or will never allow it. My Gf's parents did for the Christian Democrats because a friend of them was running for them.
Example

And the govt provides also big boards to every party. In election time there's a lot of visual clutter in Belgium.

The Larch

This is simply not done in Spain. The parties themselves already plaster their posters and the faces of their candidates everywhere anyway.

It was funny when I was in Austria a couple of years ago, in the countryside it was quite frequent to see displays in the fields, with hay bales piled up doing the letters of the party being promoted and the like, mostly OVP.

Josephus

Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Duque de Bragança

Only saw a few party acronyms quickly painted in Portugal. They may stay for years though, until a repaint. Sometimes, PS becomes PSD  :lol:
Far from being common, more like rare. In the countryside mostly.
As for France, no space in Paris to do that, never seen it and I do not really know the countryside.

In both cases, there are too many posters of parties and candidates everywhere.

Brazen

We don't have election signs, but some people put posters saying "Vote SMITH Labour" with the name of the local candidate etc. in their windows. It might as well say "Insert BRICK here."

garbon

Those are basically the same as most election signs in American yards, B.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

derspiess

Generally no.  I generally don't want to throw my politics in someone else's face.  But in 2012 pretty much everyone on my street had a sign for one guy or the other, so I figured I'd join in.  Going by the yard signs, Romney won 80+% of my street. 
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

lustindarkness

Only signs on the front of the house is Vivint Security, oh and sometimes there may be a lawncare service sign for a few days.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Norgy

It meant something to me before to signal my political affiliation. I sometimes wear a t-shirt, but believe me, the parties are more than capable of plastering public space with posters.

Caliga

On the lawn at my old house, we have had signs for local candidates, and...

...Rand Paul. :ph34r:

People liked to put signs up there since it was a corner lot.  With our permission, of course.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points