News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Chinese Escalators Are Death Traps

Started by jimmy olsen, July 27, 2015, 11:29:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

People who walk on escalators are weird.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

garbon

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on July 29, 2015, 03:17:20 AM

Not really. They move pretty slowly.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Monoriu

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iqTHA7jCoZI

A visual guide - how to use the escalators safely.

Safe for all ages.  I think. 

Grey Fox

Quote from: FunkMonk on July 28, 2015, 04:00:39 PM
The worst thing about escalators is when people don't know walk on left, stand on right. Fucking tourists.

No, no, no, no.

Wanna walk? Use the regular stairs, asshole.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

The Brain

Quote from: garbon on July 29, 2015, 02:18:48 AM
Quote from: Syt on July 29, 2015, 02:08:10 AM
In Vienna you also stand on the right and walk on the left. Though I tend to be tolerant of people who don't know any different.

Who are these people though? Takes all of two seconds on you first escalator in a major city to learn/see what you should be doing.

People without Stanford degrees.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

garbon

Quote from: Grey Fox on July 29, 2015, 08:23:49 AM
The worst thing about escalators is when people don't know walk on left, stand on right. Fucking tourists.

No, no, no, no.

Many times there isn't an extra staircase. Besides, what good reason is there to block people from passing if they want.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: The Brain on July 29, 2015, 09:14:05 AM
Quote from: garbon on July 29, 2015, 02:18:48 AM
Quote from: Syt on July 29, 2015, 02:08:10 AM
In Vienna you also stand on the right and walk on the left. Though I tend to be tolerant of people who don't know any different.

Who are these people though? Takes all of two seconds on you first escalator in a major city to learn/see what you should be doing.

People without Stanford degrees.

Oh, I didn't realize. :blush:

HVC

The real annoying people are the ones that cut you off just to stand there.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

FunkMonk

Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

garbon

Quote from: HVC on July 29, 2015, 11:29:14 AM
The real annoying people are the ones that cut you off just to stand there.

Truth.

FunkMonk

Usually people will get the idea once you tell them where they should be so they don't get in the way. However, if there's a giant group of them, buckle in cause it's going to be a long wait.  :ultra:
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

crazy canuck

No, no, no, no.

I think you might be thinking about short escalators that have stairs parallel to the escalator.   In those cases I do take the stairs because I can move faster than the people on the escalator.  But what about long escalators with no nearby stairs.  Why should someone who is in a hurry have to wait because someone is too self absorbed to give way and stand to the right? 

crazy canuck

Quote from: FunkMonk on July 29, 2015, 11:35:18 AM
Usually people will get the idea once you tell them where they should be so they don't get in the way. However, if there's a giant group of them, buckle in cause it's going to be a long wait.  :ultra:

Meh, I find that saying "coming through" gets their attention. :D

garbon

Quote from: crazy canuck on July 29, 2015, 11:36:06 AM

No, no, no, no.

I think you might be thinking about short escalators that have stairs parallel to the escalator.   In those cases I do take the stairs because I can move faster than the people on the escalator.  But what about long escalators with no nearby stairs.  Why should someone who is in a hurry have to wait because someone is too self absorbed to give way and stand to the right? 

Yeah exactly that. Short escalators, I've really no issue if someone blocks the way.

alfred russel

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on July 29, 2015, 03:17:20 AM

Why don't people walk on escalators? You are trying to get from point a to point b, just because the ground starts moving at some trivial pace toward the destination, you should stop walking?

I get it if you are awkwardly carrying luggage or something, or out of shape/ill to the point walking is a serious effort, but otherwise, lets keep it moving.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014