News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Chinese Escalators Are Death Traps

Started by jimmy olsen, July 27, 2015, 11:29:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alfred russel

When I was a kid. maybe 8, a similarly aged cousin and I were at the mall, and we were having fun by hanging onto the outside of the escalator rail and letting it carry us up a ways before dropping off.

Some 3 year old saw us, and decided to give it a try. He was just small enough that there was a "walkway" outside the rails that he could use, so he wasn't hanging over an edge like we were. So when he started to go up, he just kept going. And at the very top, there was a wall, so presumably that would be the end of his ride and he would fall to the ground, probably killed or seriously injured.

My cousin and I watched, completely shocked silent, as he went up and never let go. About halfway up, realizing he was in trouble, he started screaming. His father then noticed what was going on, and moved as fast as any man I've ever seen, going up the escalator 3 steps at a time, and got him onto the safe side of the escalator probably when he was 80% up.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Eddie Teach

This was the dark ages, when 8 year olds didn't own smart phones.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Grey Fox

A dark ages indeed.

My 2 year old weeps.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Malthus on July 28, 2015, 12:50:30 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on July 28, 2015, 12:48:35 PM
Years ago I knew a guy who's main area of practice was defending claims arising out of escalator related injuries.  I think they have become safer over time though so he probably had to expand his practice to other areas of law.

... and then someone invented Crocs, and his practice was saved?

;)

:lol:

FunkMonk

The worst thing about escalators is when people don't know walk on left, stand on right. Fucking tourists.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

garbon

Quote from: FunkMonk on July 28, 2015, 04:00:39 PM
The worst thing about escalators is when people don't know walk on left, stand on right. Fucking tourists.

I'm wondering if it is an urban vs. suburban thing as in cities in civilized countries, people stand on the right so even tourists from said places should know the score.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Brain

Hicksters shouldn't be allowed on escalators.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Monoriu

A new video has surfaced.  It documents what happened a few minutes before the accident.  The reason the two female staff were there was because they themselves almost fell into the hole a few minutes before the accident.  Why they didn't close the escalator was beyond me.

Warning, the video may contain disturbing images.  Click at your own risk.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mK2HumSwRnE

Josquius

Quote from: garbon on July 28, 2015, 04:45:37 PM
Quote from: FunkMonk on July 28, 2015, 04:00:39 PM

I'm wondering if it is an urban vs. suburban thing as in cities in civilized countries, people stand on the right so even tourists from said places should know the score.

I've no idea what the rule is in the uk, in Switzerland there seems to be none (which gets annoying), in japan it varies by region.
██████
██████
██████

Monoriu

In Hong Kong, the generally accepted rule is to stand on the right, and walk on the left.  The powers-that-be heavily promoted this for many years.

One day, they stopped giving out this message.  Now they just tell people to stand still.  The problem they found was, if everybody stands on the right, after a couple of years, mechanical problems began to develop because the weight is distributed so unevenly. 

Syt

In Vienna you also stand on the right and walk on the left. Though I tend to be tolerant of people who don't know any different.

Other people have shorter temper, and on longer escalators it's an open invitation to be berated by someone if you stand on the left and block the way.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

garbon

Quote from: Syt on July 29, 2015, 02:08:10 AM
In Vienna you also stand on the right and walk on the left. Though I tend to be tolerant of people who don't know any different.

Who are these people though? Takes all of two seconds on you first escalator in a major city to learn/see what you should be doing.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Syt

It's usually not a single person, but friends, family etc. who walk next to each other and then stand next to each other while chatting. Usually, when they see someone walking down they'll make way, though.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

garbon

Indeed, so more like they don't give a fuck. ;)