Healthy 24-year-old granted right to die in Belgium

Started by jimmy olsen, July 01, 2015, 09:03:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Are you for or against euthanasia?

I'm against it in all cases.
3 (7.3%)
I only approve of it in the case someone is brain dead and their views on the matter are known.
5 (12.2%)
I approve of it in the case of the brain dead and terminally ill.
4 (9.8%)
I approve of it in the case of the brain dead, terminally ill and those living in severe chronic pain.
12 (29.3%)
I believe people should be able to choose to euthanized for any reason.
17 (41.5%)

Total Members Voted: 40

Legbiter

She can just jump off a bridge instead of this attention whoring. Mission accomplished.
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Fate

Quote from: Rex Francorum on July 04, 2015, 04:50:54 AM
Quote from: Berkut on July 02, 2015, 12:47:01 PM
I am amazed that 50% of the people here responded positively to this statement:

QuoteI believe people should be able to choose to euthanized for any reason.

Anyone? For any reason? Seriously?

So if some 18 year strolls into their doctors office and says "I want to kill myself because my cat died" the doctor should just write her up a prescription, have a nice day?

ANY REASON?

I think so. People are free to do what they want with their body, including to terminate themselves, even if the reason is stupid.

People are free to do what they want with their body (within limits), but you don't have the right to force a doctor to prescribe you a lethal dose of phenobarbital.

DGuller

Going off on a tangent, it's amazing how in Europe, thousands can get lethally injected with no problems, but in US, it's cruel and unusual when we execute someone like that.

The Brain

Quote from: DGuller on July 04, 2015, 08:48:46 AM
Going off on a tangent, it's amazing how in Europe, thousands can get lethally injected with no problems, but in US, it's cruel and unusual when we execute someone like that.

Yeah, Americans are strangely inept.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: Fate on July 04, 2015, 08:11:35 AM

So if some 18 year strolls into their doctors office and says "I want to kill myself because my cat died" the doctor should just write her up a prescription, have a nice day?

ANY REASON?

I think so. People are free to do what they want with their body, including to terminate themselves, even if the reason is stupid.

People are free to do what they want with their body (within limits), but you don't have the right to force a doctor to prescribe you a lethal dose of phenobarbital.

doctor doesn't have to prescribe if he/she doesn't agree for any reason.

Razgovory

ANY REASON?

People are not free to do what they want with their own bodies.  They can't sell themselves into slavery, in most countries they can't prostitute themselves, and nearly all countries children are not allowed to be prostitutes.  You can't chop off your own arm and replace it with a cannon and get around gun restrictions.  Most countries have restriction on what you are legally able to ingest.  Etc, Etc, etc.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

crazy canuck

I am not sure where the free to do whatever they want means.  The number of laws restricting what a person can do to or with their body is lengthy.

The Brain

Valmy

Yep.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: Valmy on July 06, 2015, 07:32:39 AM

Yep.

Good thing then that the doctor isn't forced.

Valmy

Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on July 06, 2015, 07:36:10 AM
Good thing then that the doctor isn't forced.

They are forced to make that call. They should never have that power nor obligation. Their job is to keep you alive. If you don't want to be alive don't go to a doctor.

Basically if you want to kill yourself we have many options available. Don't be a selfish asshole and make the rest of us come up with rules and regulations and take on the responsibility for you. I want no part of it and I sure as fuck don't want my politicians and doctors having a part in it. The only time the rest of us need to be worried about this at all is if somebody is incapacitated with no hope of recovery and lacks the ability to make that call.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Brain

Quote from: Valmy on July 06, 2015, 07:41:51 AM
Basically if you want to kill yourself we have many options available. Don't be a selfish asshole and make the rest of us come up with rules and regulations and take on the responsibility for you. I want no part of it and I sure as fuck don't want my politicians and doctors having a part in it. The only time the rest of us need to be worried about this at all is if somebody is incapacitated with no hope of recovery and lacks the ability to make that call.

I'm all for a leaner, meaner government, but even I don't think that looking to the government for regulation of procedures with health and safety implications makes you a selfish asshole.

garbon

Quote from: The Brain on July 06, 2015, 07:58:11 AM

I'm all for a leaner, meaner government, but even I don't think that looking to the government for regulation of procedures with health and safety implications makes you a selfish asshole.

Well wouldn't the gov't watching out for health and safety opt for that which ensures health and safety (aka not permitting its doctors to prescribe medications for the sole purpose of depriving a patient of health and safety)?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Brain

Quote from: garbon on July 06, 2015, 08:09:13 AM
Quote from: The Brain on July 06, 2015, 07:58:11 AM

Well wouldn't the gov't watching out for health and safety opt for that which ensures health and safety (aka not permitting its doctors to prescribe medications for the sole purpose of depriving a patient of health and safety)?

There are many more health and safety aspects than the death thing.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on July 04, 2015, 01:00:47 PM

ANY REASON?

doctor doesn't have to prescribe if he/she doesn't agree for any reason.

Doctors must conduct themselves within their code of ethics and the law.  Doctors can't do what they want for any reason