News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Gay Marriage Upheld by USSC in Close Ruling

Started by Syt, June 26, 2015, 09:12:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caliga

Quote from: Martinus on June 26, 2015, 09:31:56 AM
Well, if tea party-ers are supposed to be libertarians as they claim, they should be for gay marriage and sexual freedom. It's the "libertarians" who want the state out of everything - except people's bedrooms and private lives - that are weird.
I'm a social libertarian so yes, I don't think marriage is any of the state's fucking business.  But since it insists on sticking its nose into peoples' bedrooms, then gays must have equal rights too.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Caliga on June 26, 2015, 09:28:25 AM
Quote from: Syt on June 26, 2015, 09:25:50 AM
My tea party sis will be happy for her kids (one of her sons is already married to his boyfriend)
UMURRICA IS RUN BAH PERVERTS NOW LOLOL!!!!!!

Take that Putin!
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Caliga

Quote from: Martinus on June 26, 2015, 09:32:52 AM
Jaron is telling me many Mormons are quite nice people. :unsure:
They are.  But they are all clones of one another.  It's easy to be 'nice' when you don't interact with anyone different at all.

Martinus

Quote from: Caliga on June 26, 2015, 09:33:13 AM
Quote from: Martinus on June 26, 2015, 09:31:56 AM
Well, if tea party-ers are supposed to be libertarians as they claim, they should be for gay marriage and sexual freedom. It's the "libertarians" who want the state out of everything - except people's bedrooms and private lives - that are weird.
I'm a social libertarian so yes, I don't think marriage is any of the state's fucking business.  But since it insists on sticking its nose into peoples' bedrooms, then gays must have equal rights too.

Yeah, exactly.

The Larch

Quote from: Zanza on June 26, 2015, 09:31:35 AM
Merkel and her conservative party don't want it despite a clear majority of the population in favor. There is no major pain for homosexuals anymore though as they have a civil partnership that grants them mostly the same rights and duties as married couples. That's why there is very little to gain politically, so no one tries to push the issue against Merkel.

So it'll have to wait until Merkel retires and/or the SPD regains power?

Caliga

Quote from: Martinus on June 26, 2015, 09:34:16 AM
Yeah, exactly.
OTOH I have seen other libertarians say "The state shouldn't be in the marriage business, so gay marriage shouldn't be legalized since NO marriage should be regulated by law."

I have a dim view of these people because I suspect they are homophobes but too cowardly to admit it so they try to hide behind a 'technicality'.

Martinus

Quote from: Caliga on June 26, 2015, 09:40:05 AM
Yeah, exactly.
OTOH I have seen other libertarians say "The state shouldn't be in the marriage business, so gay marriage shouldn't be legalized since NO marriage should be regulated by law."

I have a dim view of these people because I suspect they are homophobes but too cowardly to admit it so they try to hide behind a 'technicality'.

Also agreed.

Malthus

Quote from: Caliga on June 26, 2015, 09:40:05 AM
Yeah, exactly.

Well, the easy way to tell is if these same folks were out complaining about HETERO marriages before the whole gay marriage debate thing sprung up. I suspect few to none were.  ;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

The Brain

So America was run illegally for hundreds of years? Shocker.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Zanza

Quote from: The Larch on June 26, 2015, 09:35:32 AM
Quote from: Zanza on June 26, 2015, 09:31:35 AM
Merkel and her conservative party don't want it despite a clear majority of the population in favor. There is no major pain for homosexuals anymore though as they have a civil partnership that grants them mostly the same rights and duties as married couples. That's why there is very little to gain politically, so no one tries to push the issue against Merkel.
So it'll have to wait until Merkel retires and/or the SPD regains power?
I guess if they really wanted it, they could force the issue. The strange thing is that the left parties have a majority in both chambers of our parliament but the SPD and Left party hate each other, so the SPD rather lets Merkel govern. But Merkels 311 MPs couldn't stop the 320 left-wing MPs from passing any law they want, especially as I suspect that there are lots of MPs among the 311 conservatives that would secretly or openly support such a law as well. So I would guess that there is a majority of MPs in favor of gay marriage, but out of fear of breaking the coalition, the SPD doesn't push for gay marriage. Maybe they'll just do it right before the next election. :hmm:

DGuller

Quote from: Syt on June 26, 2015, 09:30:37 AM
She's a funny mix of tea party slogans and pro-LGBT rights. She just posted that she's very disappointed with her church (Latter Day Saints) that they don't accept her daughter's orientation (she has 4 kids, 1 is straight).
:hmm: Wow, she's far more progressive as a parent than most people not in Tea Party.

Caliga

Quote from: Malthus on June 26, 2015, 09:47:38 AM
Well, the easy way to tell is if these same folks were out complaining about HETERO marriages before the whole gay marriage debate thing sprung up. I suspect few to none were.  ;)
Of course they weren't. :sleep:

Martinus

Huckabee throwing a fit and calling for a revolution against the "imperial court".  :lol:

Barrister

I said it about Canada, and I'll say it about the US - this kind of change is better to come from the people and legislature, not the courts.

Besides, it's not as if the pro-gay marriage side hadn't had a ton of success in advancing their agenda legislatively.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on June 26, 2015, 09:55:44 AM
I said it about Canada, and I'll say it about the US - this kind of change is better to come from the people and legislature, not the courts.

Are you able to point to any particular difficulty which occurred in Canada as a result of the change being prompted by the Court?