And we're back!

Main Menu

White woman pretends to be black for prestige

Started by merithyn, June 12, 2015, 08:29:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

merithyn

Quote from: derspiess on June 12, 2015, 12:06:16 PM

From her EWU bio:
http://www.ewu.edu/csbssw/programs/africana-studies-program/aep-faculty/rachel-dolezal

QuoteMost recently, Rachel Doležal has been appointed by the Mayor of Spokane to serve as a police commissioner for the Office of the Police Ombudsman, to oversee fairness and equity in law enforcement.

That sounds like something that *could* be volunteer, but to me it sounds more like a cushy set-aside-type gig.

Also from that bio:
QuoteDoležal also entertains an interest in the medical field and has begun pre-medical studies, working toward an MD and a residency in trauma surgery. She hopes to combine her medical knowledge with her passion for human rights and engage in life-saving surgery efforts around the world. Her other experiences include work in a community law office as a legal secretary, African dance, culinary arts, ethnic hair styling, modeling, managing a political campaign, and mothering two sons. In her spare time, she enjoys traveling, gardening & cooking.

She still doesn't know what she wants to do with her life. And "culinary arts" could mean she was a waitress.

The Police Ombudsman is definitely volunteer, because the Mayor stated that he's looking into it to see if her misrepresenting herself on the application is a problem for volunteer positions. And I'm pretty sure that NAACP President is a volunteer gig, too. Only the highest echelon of that organization is paid.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

derspiess

Quote from: garbon on June 12, 2015, 12:44:01 PM
Exactly, that's how I feel.

I think you're overreacting.  And exaggerating.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

Quote from: Razgovory on June 12, 2015, 12:46:51 PM
Huh.  I'm a bit surprised by the reaction to this, particularly in the light of the recent discussions of transexuality.

I thought of that a bit actually :P

Again if you start claiming you are trans, and that your parents abused you for being trans as a child when you never were trans until some random sanity collapse as an adult it would fall into the same category.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

merithyn

Quote from: derspiess on June 12, 2015, 12:47:38 PM
Quote from: garbon on June 12, 2015, 12:44:01 PM
Exactly, that's how I feel.

I think you're overreacting.  And exaggerating.

I think you're intentionally ignoring that she's gotten nothing monetary from this, nor any real status, in order to make the point that being a minority is a bonus.

merithyn

Huh.  I'm a bit surprised by the reaction to this, particularly in the light of the recent discussions of transexuality.

A conservative radio commentator made the connection between this and Caitlyn Jenner. It didn't go well for him.

Valmy

Yeah Jenner never claimed anything obviously insane. That I am aware of. I have a really hard time caring about somebody already a hasbeen when I was a small child.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Malthus

Different situation.

It's the lying about stuff that makes this one a story.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Razgovory

Quote from: Malthus on June 12, 2015, 12:53:12 PM

Different situation.

If she only claimed to be black would it then be okay?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Valmy

Quote from: Razgovory on June 12, 2015, 12:54:09 PM

It would be like converting to Judaism. Her soul was always black :P

Malthus

Quote from: Malthus on June 12, 2015, 12:53:12 PM

Different situation.

If she dressed her hair all frizzy, and claimed that, although not born Black, she had always felt 'Black on the inside'? Sure. I don't think anyone would care much.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Razgovory

Quote from: Valmy on June 12, 2015, 12:55:34 PM

It would be like converting to Judaism. Her soul was always black :P

No, seriously.  If a person man can decide that he feels  that he really is a woman and starts begins cross dressing and demanding that people refer to him as a woman, how is that different then a person who decides they feel "black" darkens their skin, and demands that people regard them as black?  Honest question here.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

derspiess

Quote from: merithyn on June 12, 2015, 12:50:21 PM
I think you're intentionally ignoring that she's gotten nothing monetary from this, nor any real status, in order to make the point that being a minority is a bonus.

We don't know what she has or hasn't gotten from this without checking her bank accounts.  What she has gotten out of it are opportunities (Malthus mentioned the attention aspect) that would not be open to a white woman.  And local chapter NAACP Prez is a pretty good resume builder.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Razgovory

Quote from: Malthus on June 12, 2015, 12:56:42 PM

If she dressed her hair all frizzy, and claimed that, although not born Black, she had always felt 'Black on the inside'? Sure. I don't think anyone would care much.

Would a transsexual have to put the caveat that they were not born with their current gender and may not physically be that gender every time they identify themselves.

derspiess

The "transabled" thing now being talked about is a hoot.