And we're back!

Main Menu

Aesthetic Standards and You

Started by Eddie Teach, February 20, 2015, 02:23:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Are the below works good art?

Ug like the pictures!
2 (6.3%)
Yes, because they make profound political commentary and that's the point of art
3 (9.4%)
Vacillate/temporize/etc
3 (9.4%)
No, they're hideous
20 (62.5%)
Did Jaron draw them?
4 (12.5%)

Total Members Voted: 31

Eddie Teach

Quote from: grumbler on February 20, 2015, 07:17:36 PM
You make a good point.  I didn't really realize that this was the work of Monger's bud; I thought Monger's bud was the guy telling the story of the artist's woes.

I'll just stifle myself on the topic from here on out.

I didn't realize Mongers had a connection to the artist at all, I just thought he was being contrarian.  :sleep:

Still, this doesn't explain why Jacob was also defending these works.  :hmm:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

grumbler

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on February 20, 2015, 08:02:06 PM
I didn't realize Mongers had a connection to the artist at all, I just thought he was being contrarian.  :sleep:

Jacob is a reflexive white knight for loonie lefties, much as Sheilbh is for eccentric politicians or I am for Michigan football.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Razgovory

Quote from: dps on February 20, 2015, 07:08:44 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on February 20, 2015, 06:04:50 PM
When Republicans claim that Obama was a Nazi, a Communist, Muslim and a Kenyan in earnest, Yi has been surprisingly silent on the issue.

For the record, I've never seriously claimed that President Obama is any of those 4 things (I may have joked about a couple of them, don't remember for sure), and I think that anyone who does claim any of them seriously is either lying or stupid (or if not stupid, at least sadly gullible).

A rather significant number of Republican voters have been polled thinking that he is in fact a Muslim.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Razgovory

Quote from: grumbler on February 20, 2015, 08:50:00 PM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on February 20, 2015, 08:02:06 PM

Jacob is a reflexive white knight for loonie lefties, much as Sheilbh is for eccentric politicians or I am for Michigan football.

Oh Christ.  "White knight". :rolleyes:
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Jacob

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on February 20, 2015, 08:02:06 PMStill, this doesn't explain why Jacob was also defending these works.  :hmm:

I spent a lot of time in art school. I've spent a lot of time arguing the merits and flaws of all kinds of art, and I occasionally enjoy doing that still.

Dorsey articulated a good case for it - it's about context (it always is). In this case the artist is engaging effectively with concepts of free speech, nationalism, and dissent in present day Turkey. Whether grumbler thinks the work is pretty or technically skilled or not is neither here nor there.

Just like the point of Pussy Riot is not whether the songs are pleasant to listen to or musically proficient.

I don't know if that counts as defending the works or not. But I give full props to the guy for using art to engage politically, especially since I don't particularly object to his message.

Ed Anger

Plankton: You pretentious, insignificant artist. Your sniveling creations are worth less than a protozoan's waste.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Jacob

Quote from: Ed Anger on February 20, 2015, 09:51:16 PM
Plankton: You pretentious, insignificant artist. Your sniveling creations are worth less than a protozoan's waste.

Is that a quote from somewhere or a Monkeybutt original?

Ed Anger

Quote from: Jacob on February 20, 2015, 09:53:17 PM

Srsly?

It's from a SpongeBob cartoon.

Jacob

Quote from: Ed Anger on February 20, 2015, 09:55:03 PM
Quote from: Jacob on February 20, 2015, 09:53:17 PM

Srsly?

It's from a SpongeBob cartoon.

Yeah, never watched. Too old for it, and didn't have any young people around when it was a thing.

Ed Anger

Scipio

What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

alfred russel

Quote from: Jacob on February 20, 2015, 09:46:30 PM

Dorsey articulated a good case for it - it's about context (it always is). In this case the artist is engaging effectively with concepts of free speech, nationalism, and dissent in present day Turkey. Whether grumbler thinks the work is pretty or technically skilled or not is neither here nor there.

Just like the point of Pussy Riot is not whether the songs are pleasant to listen to or musically proficient.

You said that much more effectively than me.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

dps

Quote from: Razgovory on February 20, 2015, 09:39:28 PM
Quote from: dps on February 20, 2015, 07:08:44 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on February 20, 2015, 06:04:50 PM
When Republicans claim that Obama was a Nazi, a Communist, Muslim and a Kenyan in earnest, Yi has been surprisingly silent on the issue.

For the record, I've never seriously claimed that President Obama is any of those 4 things (I may have joked about a couple of them, don't remember for sure), and I think that anyone who does claim any of them seriously is either lying or stupid (or if not stupid, at least sadly gullible).

A rather significant number of Republican voters have been polled thinking that he is in fact a Muslim.

So?  Significant number of people in both parties are stupid.

Frankly, it wouldn't matter to me if he were a Moslem, but he's clearly not.