And we're back!

Main Menu

Aesthetic Standards and You

Started by Eddie Teach, February 20, 2015, 02:23:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Are the below works good art?

Ug like the pictures!
2 (6.3%)
Yes, because they make profound political commentary and that's the point of art
3 (9.4%)
Vacillate/temporize/etc
3 (9.4%)
No, they're hideous
20 (62.5%)
Did Jaron draw them?
4 (12.5%)

Total Members Voted: 31

Admiral Yi

Yes I do.

It's dishonest Raz.  Don't you think being honest is a good quality?

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 20, 2015, 05:10:36 PM
Yes I do.

It's dishonest Raz.  Don't you think being honest is a good quality?

What is dishonest?  Please explain.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Ed Anger

That was me doing the Bushhitler thing. I was bored.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Martinus

Quote from: Ed Anger on February 20, 2015, 05:23:29 PM
That was me doing the Bushhitler thing. I was bored.

I thought you just kept praising Hitler.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Razgovory on February 20, 2015, 05:12:34 PM

If you have a beef with people who posted BUSHITLER whenever a criticism of him was made, direct it at them.  If you think I did this, come out and say it.  Don't just put the two thoughts together in hopes of spreading a false impression.   That's dishonest.

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 20, 2015, 05:34:33 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on February 20, 2015, 05:12:34 PM

If you have a beef with people who posted BUSHITLER whenever a criticism of him was made, direct it at them.  If you think I did this, come out and say it.  Don't just put the two thoughts together in hopes of spreading a false impression.   That's dishonest.

I thought I did say that.  I thought that "It was pretty much Yi's go to phrase" was very clear.  If you prefer, I'll put it a different way.  Between 2004 and 2008 Yi used the phrase, "OMG Bushhitler1111!" whenever he wanted to blunt criticism of George W. Bush.  Yi was also deeply amused by the use of giant puppets during a anti-war rally and brought up their existence regularly, though was apparently less enamored with similar puppets used during a Tea Party rally which I brought to his attention though he has never referenced them.  It is my opinion that Yi used the phrase, "OMGBUSHHITLER111!", regularly because he felt it discredited any opposition as hyperbolic wingnuts.  When Republicans claim that Obama was a Nazi, a Communist, Muslim and a Kenyan in earnest, Yi has been surprisingly silent on the issue.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Admiral Yi

That's not what you said.  You suggested I used it whenever anyone criticized Bush.

Razgovory

I'm sorry you misunderstood.  Have I clarified it sufficiently for you now?

Admiral Yi

I didn't misunderstand; you miscommunicated.  I'm fine with your correction.

Razgovory

Well at least we are all on the same page.

dps

Quote from: Razgovory on February 20, 2015, 06:04:50 PM
When Republicans claim that Obama was a Nazi, a Communist, Muslim and a Kenyan in earnest, Yi has been surprisingly silent on the issue.

For the record, I've never seriously claimed that President Obama is any of those 4 things (I may have joked about a couple of them, don't remember for sure), and I think that anyone who does claim any of them seriously is either lying or stupid (or if not stupid, at least sadly gullible).

grumbler

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 20, 2015, 06:26:16 PM
I didn't misunderstand; you miscommunicated.  I'm fine with your correction.

Oh, the irony! :lol:
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: garbon on February 20, 2015, 04:51:06 PM
Agreed, however I never really wanted to dump on monger's acquaintance.

You make a good point.  I didn't really realize that this was the work of Monger's bud; I thought Monger's bud was the guy telling the story of the artist's woes.

I'll just stifle myself on the topic from here on out.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

alfred russel

Quote from: Valmy on February 20, 2015, 03:22:01 PM
Quote from: KRonn on February 20, 2015, 03:21:25 PM
They're political statements, right? So don't have to be beautiful art, but mainly to get the point across that the artist is trying to convey.

That BUSH = HITLER

No, I don't think the artist was making a point about Bush at all--this is about Erdogan and Turkey. Bush appears in the one picture because the audience is of the common understanding that Bush = Hitler (or at least is really bad).

We aren't in the context the pictures were made--the context being a quasi (and perhaps increasingly) repressive state of Turkey being led by Erdogan. The pictures aren't supposed to be pretty and hung on a wall at home--if nothing else putting shit in the first picture establishes that. They are supposed to be jarring and confrontational, in a way that we don't appreciate because we have freedom of the press and stupid looking stuff like this gets made all the time without consequence. But in Turkey this art was considered a criminal offense and the artist spent time in jail.

Maybe the artist isn't capable of more sophisticated art. I don't know. But a really sophisticated picture would be missing the point, wouldn't it?
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014