Who will replace Jon Stewart at the Daily Show?

Started by Berkut, February 19, 2015, 11:46:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Berkut

Apparently John Oliver is out, and he was probably the most obvious choice. HBO just signed him for another two years.

Some names I've heard:

Samantha Bee. I like her, but can't see her as a host.

Jessica Williams: I think she has the right personality, but lacks the experience to make it work. Just too young. Apparently she said she was not going to do it.

Chris Rock: I think he would be awesome, but not sure if he is really political at all.

Other ideas?
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Valmy

Is that Chris Rock thing legit?  Because that would not suck.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

grumbler

I think they should let the show die, and find something new along the same lines.  At this point, TDS is so closely associated with Stewart that an successor can only come off as a second-rate replacement.  I'd think a Spitting Image style cartoon or puppet show would do nicely using TDS's writers.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

11B4V

QuoteI think they should let the show die, and find something new along the same lines.

+1
When he's done, I'm done with the show.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Habbaku

I'm not convinced that a successor is a good idea.  I will watch, but it is going to be incredibly difficult to detach the idea of Stewart in that chair.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Josephus

Agreed. It would be difficult for anyone to go in there and replace what Jon Stewart did without trying to imitate him.  Time to try something new.

That said the Colbert replacement is shit.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Barrister

Quote from: grumbler on February 19, 2015, 11:52:53 AM
I think they should let the show die, and find something new along the same lines.  At this point, TDS is so closely associated with Stewart that an successor can only come off as a second-rate replacement.  I'd think a Spitting Image style cartoon or puppet show would do nicely using TDS's writers.

Meh.  Johnny Carson was very closely associated with the Tonight Show after having done it for almost 30 years, but Leno was still able to step in.  He may have been a second-rate replacement, but the show was still quite successful.

The Daily Show is still a huge success for Comedy Central, and likely still would be even at half the ratings it gets now.  I can't imagine them just scrapping it entirely.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Liep

Quote from: Josephus on February 19, 2015, 11:58:34 AM
Agreed. It would be difficult for anyone to go in there and replace what Jon Stewart did without trying to imitate him.  Time to try something new.

That said the Colbert replacement is shit.

Who is that?

And John Oliver's stint as host was brilliant, so it can be done if the right person is found.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Valmy

Quote from: 11B4V on February 19, 2015, 11:57:06 AM
+1
When he's done, I'm done with the show.

To be fair that is exactly what I said when Kilborn left :hmm:
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Admiral Yi

CountDeMoney

The new host, supporting cast and the writers are going to have to given the freedom of movement to carve out their own thing at the outset, or it will just be a failure of expectations.  It's going to be difficult enough as it is to get going.

derspiess

Kind of brings to mind Conan taking Letterman's spot.  Expectactions were low due to him being relatively unknown.   But Conan and the staff reinvented the show and in retrospect improved it.  IMO Letterman jumped the shark late in his NBC career.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on February 19, 2015, 12:25:25 PM
Kind of brings to mind Conan taking Letterman's spot.  Expectactions were low due to him being relatively unknown.   But Conan and the staff reinvented the show and in retrospect improved it.  IMO Letterman jumped the shark late in his NBC career.

Didn't he switch to CBS in like 1992?

Admiral Yi

Not like I watched a ton (or any, really) late Letterman, but wasn't his problem that being edgy doesn't work when you're 60?

CountDeMoney

Quote from: derspiess on February 19, 2015, 12:25:25 PM
IMO Letterman jumped the shark late in his NBC career.

You automatically jump the shark when you leave the edgier, only-college-students-are-watching 12:30am slot for the more reserved, family-friendly 11:30pm slot.