News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

11 dead in French satirical magazine shooting

Started by Brazen, January 07, 2015, 06:49:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Quote"Defending freedom of expression in the face of oppression is one thing; insisting on the right to be obnoxious and offensive just because you can is infantile. Baiting extremists isn't bravely defiant when your manner of doing so is more significant in offending millions of moderate people as well. And within a climate where violent response – however illegitimate – is a real risk, taking a goading stand on a principle virtually no one contests is worse than pointless: it's pointlessly all about you."

That is not an unreasonable statement, or even a false statement.  In fact, it's not too far in principle from what Oliver Wendell Holmes would've said.

frunk

I don't know, I think it's a basic test of being able to function in society.  If what someone says, no matter what it is, is considered justification to kill then you don't make the cut.  As horrible as this tragedy is it's better to have agitators like CH then to stay quiet and build up a thin skinned population that is likely to become extremely dangerous on a flimsy pretext.

garbon

Quote from: frunk on January 12, 2015, 05:52:51 PM
I don't know, I think it's a basic test of being able to function in society.  If what someone says, no matter what it is, is considered justification to kill then you don't make the cut.  As horrible as this tragedy is it's better to have agitators like CH then to stay quiet and build up a thin skinned population that is likely to become extremely dangerous on a flimsy pretext.

What proof do we have that having agitators prevents this thin skinned population? :yeahright:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Eddie Teach

Ok, just catching up with the thread, wondering what is so offensive to people about Jeff Bridges in True Grit.  :hmm:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

frunk

Quote from: garbon on January 12, 2015, 05:57:08 PM

What proof do we have that having agitators prevents this thin skinned population? :yeahright:

There's a few fewer now.

More specifically, the vast majority of Moslems in France have chosen not to attack CH so clearly they are not that thin skinned.  It's the idiotic few that are the problem.

Valmy

Quote from: crazy canuck on January 12, 2015, 03:15:35 PM
In defense of B4, what is so outrageous about suggesting that the editors of Charlie have some responsibility here?  They knew they were taking a baseball bat to a hornet's nest.

So if somebody brutally murdered the South Park people you would say South Park bears some of the responsibility?  I mean sure they are crude and offensive but that is no crime worthy of a death sentence.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

garbon

Quote from: frunk on January 12, 2015, 05:59:37 PM
Quote from: garbon on January 12, 2015, 05:57:08 PM

There's a few fewer now.

So, none?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

Yeah Marty posted it a few posts above you.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Liep

Quote from: Valmy on January 12, 2015, 06:12:06 PM

It seems like each time I check Languish another 10 pages have been written in this thread, so I gave up trying to keep up. :P
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

11B4V

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on January 12, 2015, 05:58:00 PM
Ok, just catching up with the thread, wondering what is so offensive to people about Jeff Bridges in True Grit.  :hmm:

Would you like me to post it? For ref that is.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

The Minsky Moment

He's ornery and cusses too much.

Plus:  crappy costume design.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Jacob

Quote from: Liep on January 12, 2015, 06:16:10 PM
Quote from: Valmy on January 12, 2015, 06:12:06 PM

It seems like each time I check Languish another 10 pages have been written in this thread, so I gave up trying to keep up. :P

I'm following it, but I'm just happy that for once I'm not in the middle of it.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: 11B4V on January 12, 2015, 06:17:46 PM

Sure.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

11B4V

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on January 12, 2015, 06:23:50 PM
Quote from: 11B4V on January 12, 2015, 06:17:46 PM

Sure.
My avatar for over 24 hours before anyone said anything.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

DGuller

I think the real tragedy in all of this is this clusterfuck of a thread.