NFL Postseason Megathread: Playoffs in the Post-Orton Era

Started by CountDeMoney, December 29, 2014, 02:08:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: jimmy olsen on March 25, 2015, 07:00:21 PM
Quote from: Valmy on March 25, 2015, 06:57:21 PM
Changing the PAT is stupid.
Moving it back so that its equivalent to a 35 yard field goal seems reasonable. As it is right now, it's completely automatic.

And what if you want to fake it and go for two? Sounds too deterministic. Just leave it the way it is. Besides having a bunch of teams start missing extra points does not sound like much fun either.

But I guess at least that stupid fucking idea to just get rid of the PAT is off the table.

Was football broken and I didn't notice? Why are we fixing it?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Valmy on March 25, 2015, 07:09:31 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on March 25, 2015, 07:00:21 PM
Quote from: Valmy on March 25, 2015, 06:57:21 PM
Changing the PAT is stupid.
Moving it back so that its equivalent to a 35 yard field goal seems reasonable. As it is right now, it's completely automatic.

And what if you want to fake it and go for two? Sounds too deterministic. Just leave it the way it is. Besides having a bunch of teams start missing extra points does not sound like much fun either.

They'd be kicking from the 18 yard line for a 35 yard attempt if my math is right (ten for the end zone and kicking seven yars bak from scrimmage). Any team decent team should be able to throw it into the end zone from there.

Something that never fails doesn't sound fun either.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Valmy

Quote from: jimmy olsen on March 25, 2015, 07:18:16 PM

Gimicky crap is even less fun. It is XFL type nonsense.

But the first time the Pats miss an extra point I will expect a full report on how much fun it was.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Valmy on March 25, 2015, 07:22:00 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on March 25, 2015, 07:18:16 PM

Gimicky crap is even less fun. It is XFL type nonsense.

But the first time the Pats miss an extra point I will expect a full report on how much fun it was.
Making them when you know they might miss is what's fun, not missing them. This is obvious.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Valmy

Quote from: jimmy olsen on March 25, 2015, 08:45:21 PM
Making them when you know they might miss is what's fun, not missing them. This is obvious.

Alright let me know your giddy enjoyment of a made extra point then.

Neil

I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Valmy on March 25, 2015, 07:09:31 PM
But I guess at least that stupid fucking idea to just get rid of the PAT is off the table.

According to the article it is still on the table along with a number of other variations.  I am not sure why this has become a pressing issue.  I am happy they have eliminated one more way the Pats can cheat by changing the reporting rule.

QuoteAmong the possibilities are moving the line of scrimmage back for PAT kicks; placing the ball on the 1½-yard line for a 2-point conversion; eliminating the PAT kicks entirely, requiring teams to run a play from scrimmage; and allowing the defense to score, as in college football, if the ball is turned over on a 2-point try.

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

frunk

Extra points are probably the most boring moment in sports outside of golf, so I understand the desire to change it.

Instead of being place kicks they should have to be punted.

derspiess

Quote from: frunk on March 26, 2015, 12:21:58 PM
Extra points are probably the most boring moment in sports outside of golf, so I understand the desire to change it.

As a fan I think it's okay to have a short boring moment here and there throughout the game.  Gives you a chance to catch your breath.  Or go take a leak.  Or go grab a quick bite to eat.  Game is plenty exciting as it is.  No need to try and pump it up to EXTREME EXCITEMENT ALL THE TIME.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

crazy canuck

Quote from: frunk on March 26, 2015, 12:21:58 PM

I like the fact that there is a low risk (extra point) and high risk (2 point) option coaches have to choose from depending on game circumstances.

frunk

Quote from: crazy canuck on March 26, 2015, 12:32:01 PM
I like the fact that there is a low risk (extra point) and high risk (2 point) option coaches have to choose from depending on game circumstances.

The success rate is 99.5%.  That's not low risk, that's no risk in terms of sports.  If you want the choice between the two it would be easier to just give the extra point without the kick or go for the conversion.

frunk

Quote from: derspiess on March 26, 2015, 12:29:42 PM

As a fan I think it's okay to have a short boring moment here and there throughout the game.  Gives you a chance to catch your breath.  Or go take a leak.  Or go grab a quick bite to eat.  Game is plenty exciting as it is.  No need to try and pump it up to EXTREME EXCITEMENT ALL THE TIME.

There's usually a commercial break anyway to slow things to a crawl, and the extra point doesn't take that much time.

crazy canuck

Quote from: frunk on March 26, 2015, 01:24:11 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on March 26, 2015, 12:32:01 PM

The success rate is 99.5%.  That's not low risk, that's no risk in terms of sports.  If you want the choice between the two it would be easier to just give the extra point without the kick or go for the conversion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTGco82JKHo&feature=player_embedded

frunk

Quote from: crazy canuck on March 26, 2015, 01:35:52 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTGco82JKHo&feature=player_embedded

Yes, it happens every once in a while.  Is it worth the 10 hours a year of regular season games that are used for extra points to have it make a difference once every 5 years?  I'm willing to bet that players injured during extra point attempts have had a bigger effect on games (and those that followed) than the extra points that were missed.