N. Korea hacks Sony in revenge for Seth Rogen's film "The Interview"

Started by jimmy olsen, December 04, 2014, 03:05:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KRonn

Lol, a couple of the execs at Sony made some remarks about the movies that Pres Obama must like to see. Now at least one of them has "reached out" to Al Sharpton. Oh man... why do people continue to give that guy credence, power and control over them that he doesn't deserve? Just apologize and move on. Sheesh.    :lol:

KRonn

Quote from: CountDeMoney on December 18, 2014, 04:23:23 PM

QuoteThe attack that officials fear is an all out hit on the electrical grid that could bring down regions of the nation for weeks or a lot longer, for months. One report talked about the hidden hacks they found that would cause generators to burn out, needing to be replaced. There aren't necessarily a lot of spare generators sitting ready. And our main supplier is probably China, who may commit the attacks in the first place.  :huh:

Yes, I seem to recall that stuff being mentioned during all those DHS briefings and disaster recovery tabletops I participated in while working in corporate security for a power company.  But thanks for refreshing my memory.

Yeah, I figured that was nothing new to many people but I wanted to mention/remind us all of it since some of the scenarios are so damn scary and destructive. And quite possible to pull off, apparently.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: KRonn on December 18, 2014, 09:21:32 PM
A lot of pundits, such as Alan Dershowitz, are saying that Sony should release the video on youtube, on the internet for free. Let millions see it, have N. Korea's actions backfire on them and also so that others don't get the idea that they can trash and intimidate other companies in future attacks like this. I tend to agree with that idea.

I imagine they would like to see at least a couple dollars back on their investment.

KRonn

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 18, 2014, 09:29:38 PM
Quote from: KRonn on December 18, 2014, 09:21:32 PM
A lot of pundits, such as Alan Dershowitz, are saying that Sony should release the video on youtube, on the internet for free. Let millions see it, have N. Korea's actions backfire on them and also so that others don't get the idea that they can trash and intimidate other companies in future attacks like this. I tend to agree with that idea.

I imagine they would like to see at least a couple dollars back on their investment.

They're not going to make money on it, looks like a write-off on the movie, so they can make sure the movie is widely seen by just letting it go on the internet. That way at least they cause NK's ploy to backfire.

Admiral Yi

They can still make money on DVD, Blu-ray, cable, Netflix. 

CountDeMoney

Quote from: KRonn on December 18, 2014, 09:33:53 PM
They're not going to make money on it, looks like a write-off on the movie, so they can make sure the movie is widely seen by just letting it go on the internet. That way at least they cause NK's ploy to backfire.

Sony spokesman came out today and said as much, saying it's the equivalent of a flop.  Mentioned how Disney lost $200 million on the Lone Ranger, and nobody batted an eye--so why should this be any different.

KRonn

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 18, 2014, 09:36:10 PM
They can still make money on DVD, Blu-ray, cable, Netflix.

I was hoping they do as I'll buy the DvD and see it on On Demand, etc. Maybe they'll change minds but right now it seems it's a write off.

Another N. Korea themed movie with Steve Carell in it has also been canned before filming started.

CountDeMoney

Fuck it, put the movie on broadcast television, just like the old days:  the Sunday Night Movie, edited for content with a shitload of star spangled capitalist commercials.

For the old-timers:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x4nmg6_cbs-special-presentation-graphics-f_shortfilms

CountDeMoney

QuoteTexas Theater to Show 'Team America' In Place of 'The Interview'

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/texas-theater-show-team-america-759037

The Alamo Drafthouse movie theater in Dallas, Texas, will be showing Team America: World Police in place of The Interview on Dec. 27 at 7 p.m. Wallace says that the Dallas/Fort Worth location is the only location as of now that is planning to screen the replacement film.

In a note on its website, the theater added: "THAT is how true American heroes will be celebrating this year, but if you want to let the terrorists win...well, that's your prerogative."

KRonn

Ah yes, the good ole days! As I remember what I was doing in 1981, work, job, leisure stuff. Was such a youngster back then!

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on December 18, 2014, 09:55:30 PM
QuoteTexas Theater to Show 'Team America' In Place of 'The Interview'

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/texas-theater-show-team-america-759037

The Alamo Drafthouse movie theater in Dallas, Texas, will be showing Team America: World Police in place of The Interview on Dec. 27 at 7 p.m. Wallace says that the Dallas/Fort Worth location is the only location as of now that is planning to screen the replacement film.

In a note on its website, the theater added: "THAT is how true American heroes will be celebrating this year, but if you want to let the terrorists win...well, that's your prerogative."

Glad to see that you have read the thread, Timothy. :rolleyes:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

Ideologue

Quote from: CountDeMoney on December 18, 2014, 09:37:07 PM
Quote from: KRonn on December 18, 2014, 09:33:53 PM

Sony spokesman came out today and said as much, saying it's the equivalent of a flop.  Mentioned how Disney lost $200 million on the Lone Ranger, and nobody batted an eye--so why should this be any different.

Gore Verbinski batted an eye.  That guy's in disfavor now, at the least.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ideologue

Has the White House made any sort of announcement about this?
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)