"Whatever Happened to Overtime?", a piece written by a Job Creator

Started by CountDeMoney, November 19, 2014, 10:21:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malthus

Quote from: alfred russel on November 20, 2014, 04:03:23 PM
There seem to be a lot more people worrying about employers ripping off employees regarding overtime than people worrying about employees ripping off employers by surfing the internet.  :hmm:

We can split the difference, and be paid overtime while surfing the 'net, right?  :hmm:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Malthus on November 20, 2014, 04:51:26 PM
Quote from: alfred russel on November 20, 2014, 04:03:23 PM
There seem to be a lot more people worrying about employers ripping off employees regarding overtime than people worrying about employees ripping off employers by surfing the internet.  :hmm:

We can split the difference, and be paid overtime while surfing the 'net, right?  :hmm:

Stop demanding overtime, there are plenty of people willing to surf the net for free.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

dps

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 20, 2014, 12:54:17 PM
Y'all do realize he's talking only about *salaried* employees, right? :unsure:

Just to amplify on this a bit for our non-US posters, but basically in the US salaried employees don't get paid OT.  You only get OT if you're paid by the hour.  However, employers can't just put everybody on salary to avoid OT.  Short version, you have to be management to be salaried, and salaried employees have to be paid at least a certain amount per year.  That's where the $23,660 a year figure in the article in the OP comes from.  But that's figure is a bit misleading, because it does only apply to salaried employees.  If you're paid by the hour, it doesn't matter how much you make, you're still subject to overtime requirements. 

And the bit about "threshold for overtime pay—the salary level at which employers are required to pay overtime—has been allowed to erode" is just BS.  Up until about 10 years ago, there was no threshold at all--if you were salaried, you could be paid $10,000 a year and still not be eligible for OT. 

Tamas

Quote from: Sheilbh on November 20, 2014, 03:14:20 PM
Quote from: Martinus on November 20, 2014, 09:27:50 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 20, 2014, 09:24:38 AM
Americans have been conditioned for over a century to hate all things red even at their own expense, Martim, so tossing around Das Kapital isn't going to work. The fact you are ignorant on that matter is the real novelty.

The best lie of the rich - convincing everybody that inflation is a bad thing. ;)
Inflation, the British cure to everything :wub:

Inflation, the best friend of common people's life savings :wub:

Ideologue

"Common people's life savings." :lol: Was the Second World an actual different planet?
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

garbon

Quote from: dps on November 20, 2014, 06:31:54 PM
Short version, you have to be management to be salaried, and salaried employees have to be paid at least a certain amount per year. 

:huh:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Ideologue

Also the common persons most valuable asset is usually real property, which appreciayes with inflation, whilst the debt used to finance its purchase is diminished.

Most common people don't keep reichsmarks in their mattress.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ideologue

Quote from: garbon on November 20, 2014, 07:04:00 PM
Short version, you have to be management to be salaried, and salaried employees have to be paid at least a certain amount per year. 

Yeah, I got no idea.
Kinemalogue

crazy canuck

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 20, 2014, 12:54:17 PM
Y'all do realize he's talking only about *salaried* employees, right? :unsure:

Just to amplify on this a bit for our non-US posters, but basically in the US salaried employees don't get paid OT.  You only get OT if you're paid by the hour.  However, employers can't just put everybody on salary to avoid OT.  Short version, you have to be management to be salaried, and salaried employees have to be paid at least a certain amount per year.  That's where the $23,660 a year figure in the article in the OP comes from.  But that's figure is a bit misleading, because it does only apply to salaried employees.  If you're paid by the hour, it doesn't matter how much you make, you're still subject to overtime requirements. 

And the bit about "threshold for overtime pay—the salary level at which employers are required to pay overtime—has been allowed to erode" is just BS.  Up until about 10 years ago, there was no threshold at all--if you were salaried, you could be paid $10,000 a year and still not be eligible for OT.

I dont understand why there is a distinction in the US between salaried and hourly paid workers for the purposes of paying overtime.  I doubt very much that all salaried employees are "management".

dps

I said it was the short version.  I didn't want to spend time going into all the details.

crazy canuck

Quote from: dps on November 20, 2014, 07:20:21 PM

I said it was the short version.  I didn't want to spend time going into all the details.

Well the detail you did give was wrong...

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Quote from: crazy canuck on November 20, 2014, 07:08:56 PM
I dont understand why there is a distinction in the US between salaried and hourly paid workers for the purposes of paying overtime.

What is the difference between salaried and full-time hourly employees then?

crazy canuck

Quote from: Baron von Schtinkenbutt on November 20, 2014, 07:22:54 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on November 20, 2014, 07:08:56 PM
I dont understand why there is a distinction in the US between salaried and hourly paid workers for the purposes of paying overtime.

What is the difference between salaried and full-time hourly employees then?

Exactly.  I am not sure what that has to do with a statutory limit on hours worked in a day before overtime is earned.

I understand why certain types of employees should be exempted from overtime requirements.  But disentitlement to overtime simply by the method used to calculate pay seems arbitrary.  To use an example, all our secretarial staff are paid salaries.  But if they work more than the statutory limit on any given day they also earn overtime.  That just seems fair.

Ideologue

If only you had some kind of tool available to.you to do research. Some kind of nexus of lexis as it were. :p
Kinemalogue

crazy canuck

Quote from: Ideologue on November 20, 2014, 07:43:38 PM
If only you had some kind of tool available to.you to do research. Some kind of nexus of lexis as it were. :p

Would that explain to me why Americans have odd distinctions in their law?