Main Menu

Would you move to a tiny home?

Started by Brazen, October 22, 2014, 04:47:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rasputin

Quote from: derspiess on October 22, 2014, 10:48:35 AM
Quote from: Rasputin on October 22, 2014, 10:24:44 AM
I could never do tiny.

Friday I'm moving from a 3100sf home to a 3700sf home. We need the extra bed room for the brady bunch gig I now have going. That being said I suspect in ten years we'll go down to 2000sf on the water somewhere.

My parents were planning to downsize once their nest got all empty, but it never quite happened.  They insist on being able to host multiple families even though mom gets all dramatic when it happens.  Also mom apparently still needs her sewing room even though she doesn't sew anymore.

I need a billiards room although I play only once a quarter...I like the look.
Who is John Galt?

crazy canuck

We are in about 5400 square feet.  At first it felt monstrously big but now it seems about right.  When we were first married we had a 500 square foot condo.  That also seemed about right for that age and stage.  Not sure what will seem right in my next stage of life.

Grey Fox

Quote from: crazy canuck on October 22, 2014, 10:59:11 AM
We are in about 5400 square feet.  At first it felt monstrously big but now it seems about right.  When we were first married we had a 500 square foot condo.  That also seemed about right for that age and stage.  Not sure what will seem right in my next stage of life.

Did you keep the downstair kitchen afterall?
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Grey Fox on October 22, 2014, 11:22:32 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on October 22, 2014, 10:59:11 AM

Did you keep the downstair kitchen afterall?

Yeah.  It seemed too much bother to rip it out just to save the extra property tax for having a "suite".   Plus having it there will probably make it easier to sell to someone who needs to use the suite as a mortgage helper. 

Grey Fox

Yeah, that's probably sensible.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Josquius

100 square feet sounds pretty reasonable to me. Not ideal, but perfectly liveable. Fairly similar to 6 tatami mats which describes a lot of 1 person flats in Japan. Some are smaller.
██████
██████
██████

Jacob

Quote from: Tyr on October 22, 2014, 12:40:06 PM
100 square feet sounds pretty reasonable to me.

A 10' by 10' room sounds reasonable to you? For what?

Gups

100 square feet sounds pretty reasonable to me.

Just about room for a bed if the door opens outwards. Not much else.

derspiess

100 square feet sounds pretty reasonable to me. Not ideal, but perfectly liveable. Fairly similar to 6 tatami mats which describes a lot of 1 person flats in Japan. Some are smaller.

:lol:  I couldn't even fit all my camping stuff in that space.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

mongers

Quote from: KRonn on October 22, 2014, 10:39:47 AM
I have a small cape. Four rooms downstairs and bathroom and two rooms upstairs, plus an unifinished cellar with a half bathroom. It's just me and it's more than enough for me, I could make do with a smaller house, but still it's a smaller house compared to the larger homes that are usually built. I'm fine with the size as it takes less to heat and cool the home, less to keep clean. I also have two sheds out back that contain the various gardening tools, outdoor stuff, snow blower and lawnmower. So I do need a good amount of storage space but I'm also constantly getting rid of stuff, though it's too easy to add more stuff too.

This does seem to be a problem with a lot of people as they near our ages; where does all this stuff come form ?  :hmm:

I really do need to have a clear out, Again.  <_<
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Liep

But in Japan it's nice and cheap to eat out almost anywhere. Not so much anywhere else on earth, people need kitchens.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

crazy canuck

Quote from: Liep on October 22, 2014, 01:27:04 PM

But in Japan it's nice and cheap to eat out almost anywhere. Not so much anywhere else on earth, people need kitchens.

What he is talking about is a place to sleep but no toilet, washroom, shower/bath, or kitchen. 

Warspite

I like how the rest of the civilised world uses a measurement of area to measure the area of a property, whereas in the UK we have to bloody well guess on the basis of the number of bedrooms, which are often a larger room that has been cut in two to inflate the number of "bedrooms".  <_<
" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

mongers

Quote from: Warspite on October 22, 2014, 01:42:12 PM
I like how the rest of the civilised world uses a measurement of area to measure the area of a property, whereas in the UK we have to bloody well guess on the basis of the number of bedrooms, which are often a larger room that has been cut in two to inflate the number of "bedrooms".  <_<

We did have a civilised measure once, when my old man was building estates of houses the expectation was to design for 9 or 10 houses per acre. Now I think 14 houses is very common/the norm and some 'developers' are pushing it to 16. And God only knows how many flats they cram into those edge of city/town centres flat complexes.

I think in England we have some of the worst designed, smallest new built homes/flats in Western Europe.   
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Razgovory

I don't think I want to live in a house on stilts.  Or one that can be stolen.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017