Ultra-Orthodox Jews delay El Al flight, refusing to sit near women

Started by Martinus, September 26, 2014, 06:54:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on September 26, 2014, 08:00:09 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on September 26, 2014, 06:57:11 AM
When did this become a talking point amongst atheists?

When Al Gore invented the internet, and they could say such things without fear of a belligerent theist or group of theists beating them down.

Well without Atheism how would we know we are smarter then other people on the internet?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

grumbler

The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

viper37

Quote from: Martinus on September 26, 2014, 06:54:56 AM
They should have been kicked off the flight the very first moment they started causing trouble.
no, no, we must respect every religious belief no matter how silly they are.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

mongers

Maybe there's a biblical/Jewish reference to the skies being the domain of only god. That way they could insist that these literalists/fundamentalists mustn't fly in aircraft? :unsure:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: mongers on September 26, 2014, 07:12:10 PM
Maybe there's a biblical/Jewish reference to the skies being the domain of only god. That way they could insist that these literalists/fundamentalists mustn't fly in aircraft? :unsure:

interesting. To the pope-mobile!

DontSayBanana

Experience bij!

OttoVonBismarck

Yeah, I'm not sure what's to be done about ultra-Orthodox Jews. They populate in really high numbers and they are hardly better than radical Islamists. I hate any religious person whose religious practice makes them so incompatible with modern society. To be honest if it just targeted Orthodox Jews I wouldn't have nearly the same opposition to the Holocaust.

Martinus

Incidentally, the Polish supreme court just ruled that a sikh must remove his head gear at airport security control (but can expect this being done in a private room). Thoughts?

Zanza

They could just book a business class flight where they get a seat that is separated from the neighbor...

Sheilbh

Quote from: Martinus on September 27, 2014, 11:26:47 AM
Incidentally, the Polish supreme court just ruled that a sikh must remove his head gear at airport security control (but can expect this being done in a private room). Thoughts?
What do you mean by security control?

If it's just the normal walk through the metal detector and x-ray your jacket then it seems a bit much that they have to remove the turban too and inconvenient if they have to do it in private.

If it's as part of a more complete search then I think it seems sensible.
Let's bomb Russia!

Martinus

Quote from: Sheilbh on September 27, 2014, 07:13:09 PM

If it's just the normal walk through the metal detector and x-ray your jacket then it seems a bit much that they have to remove the turban too and inconvenient if they have to do it in private.

Metal detector thingie. Everyone has to remove their headgear, their coat, jacket and you may be asked to remove your shoes.

The Brain

Can't they ride through the baggage scanning equipment?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

garbon

Quote from: Martinus on September 28, 2014, 12:29:34 AM
Quote from: Sheilbh on September 27, 2014, 07:13:09 PM

Metal detector thingie. Everyone has to remove their headgear, their coat, jacket and you may be asked to remove your shoes.

Seems a bit unnecessary.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Jacob

Quote from: Martinus on September 28, 2014, 12:29:34 AM

Sounds like bullshit, then.

I guess Poland doesn't do much tourism or trade with the Sikh regions of India so it doesn't amount to much, but it seems pretty parochial.