And we're back!

Main Menu

Franklin Expedition Ship Found

Started by Malthus, September 09, 2014, 12:56:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Quote from: grumbler on September 09, 2014, 01:14:28 PM
Quote from: Malthus on September 09, 2014, 12:56:32 PM
... one of the great mysteries of its time. 

I'd argue that, for four hours in July, 1850, it was the greatest mystery of its time.

Say "whoosh" if you will, but I don't get the reference.  Between the time the expedition went missing (1849-50), and when McClintock discovered the cairn giving at least a partial account (1859) it was perhaps the greatest mystery of it's time.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Maladict

It looks like it's in really good shape. How deep down would it be?

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: mongers on September 09, 2014, 02:42:21 PM
Damn, I bet Tim's pissed about not posting this topic first.  :(
Do you think the Peanuts character was named after the expedition?
PDH!

grumbler

Quote from: Barrister on September 09, 2014, 03:03:27 PM

I'd argue that, for four hours in July, 1850, it was the greatest mystery of its time.

Say "whoosh" if you will, but I don't get the reference.  Between the time the expedition went missing (1849-50), and when McClintock discovered the cairn giving at least a partial account (1859) it was perhaps the greatest mystery of it's time.
My statement was purely tongue in cheek.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Barrister

Quote from: grumbler on September 09, 2014, 04:21:28 PM
Quote from: Barrister on September 09, 2014, 03:03:27 PM

My statement was purely tongue in cheek.

Ah, gotcha. :)

Josephus

Awesome find. Was thinking of BB when I saw that, cause I know he's interest.

I've read a couple books on this too. Plus one work of fiction that's worth reading by Dan Simmons called Terror.

Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

CountDeMoney

Interesting tidbit I learned in the paper:  the HMS Terror was one of the British flotilla that shelled Ft. McHenry.

Neil

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 11, 2014, 07:45:51 PM
Interesting tidbit I learned in the paper:  the HMS Terror was one of the British flotilla that shelled Ft. McHenry.
HMS Terror was also a very satisfactory monitor, sunk due to cowardly dive-bombing attacks.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

CountDeMoney

That would be an incorrect statement.  There's no such thing as cowardly dive-bombing.

Neil

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 11, 2014, 08:09:04 PM
That would be an incorrect statement.  There's no such thing as cowardly dive-bombing.
Normally I would agree that dive bombing is a test of courage, screaming down into a hail of AA fire.  But when it's twin-engine bombers in gentle dives on 1940 RN AA suites, it's probably not quite as dangerous. 
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Barrister

Turns out I've got a six-degrees of separation connection to the expedition. :w00t:

QuoteHigh-tech sleuthing key to hunt for ships in Arctic
It took an arsenal of electronic devices to hunt down the Franklin expedition shipwreck.
Share on Facebook

Reddit this!

Surveyors in the hunt for signs of the Franklin expedition also used LiDAR, or laser technology that creates incredibly detailed images from the air and on land.VIEW 3 PHOTOSzoom
LIDAR IMAGE

Surveyors in the hunt for signs of the Franklin expedition also used LiDAR, or laser technology that creates incredibly detailed images from the air and on land.

By: Paul Watson Star Columnist, Published on Tue Sep 09 2014
ABOARD CCGS SIR WILFRID LAURIER—It took an arsenal of electronic devices to hunt down the Franklin expedition shipwreck.
There were multi-beam 3D sonar towfishes, pinging off uncharted Arctic seabed, as hydrographers' boats found the clearest paths to prime search areas.
Underwater archeologists used less sophisticated sidescan sonar, towed behind a boat, to scan the seafloor for telltale shapes that could lead them to a wreck.
The Klein System 3000, a silver bullet-nosed towfish with two black fins, delivered big time by creating the sonar image that gave Parks Canada underwater archeologists that eureka moment last week.
But it was their Falcon Seaeye remotely operated vehicle, or ROV, that put eyes on one of Sir John Franklin's three-masters for the first time since Inuit reported seeing the deserted vessel floating on an ice floe in the mid-19th century.

The ROV was attached by fibre optic cables to a control unit piloted by senior underwater archeologist Ryan Harris.
In rolling seas, battling currents and looming Arctic darkness, he deftly steered the ROV toward the wreck to get stunning video from the vehicle's high-resolution camera.
He had to be extremely careful not to collide with the wreck, more to protect the integrity of the historic site than to avoid damaging the ROV.
Surveyors also used LiDAR, or laser technology that creates incredibly detailed images from the air and on land.
Douglas Stenton, Nunavut's director of heritage, and Robert Park, a University of Waterloo archeology professor also used LiDAR to map the crucial discovery of pieces of a wooden deck plug from a Franklin Expedition ship.
They borrowed the expensive equipment from S. Brooke Milne, an anthropology professor at the University of Manitoba, to field test it during about of month of mapping archeology sites.
LiDAR images give the archeologists an exquisitely detailed map of site surfaces so they can detect even the slightest impact of tourism on Nunavut's heritage.
It proved essential when two pieces of a deck plug from one of the Franklin Expedition ships was found on land last week, a discovery that lead to the historic find of the sunken wreck.

Some of the most cutting-edge devices deployed in the search were made by Canadian firms.
They include Arctic Explorer, an autonomous underwater vehicle, or robot sub, more than seven metres long. It was built by International Submarine Engineering Ltd. in Port Coquitlam, B.C. and carries state-of-the-art sonar.
Deployed from HMCS Kingston far north of where the Franklin wreck was discovered, and closer to the last reported position of HMS Erebus and HMS Terror, the Arctic Explorer scans the seabed for hours at a time and returns on its own to the mother ship.
Bringing the different devices together in extreme Arctic conditions, and proving they can pay off against long odds, is one of the spinoff benefits of finding the 19th century shipwreck.
"We always say, 'The right tool for the right job,'" said Scott Youngblut, hydrographer-in-charge at the Canadian Hydrographic Service. "We take all sorts of different technology and match it up to the particular conditions we're in."

http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/2014/09/09/hightech_sleuthing_key_to_hunt_for_ships_in_arctic.html

Dr. Milne, or Brooke as I know her, is good friends with my parents.  When she first came  to Winnipeg she stayed at their then-bed and breakfast, which evolved into her just renting a room from them.  She got married at that same B&B, then when she left her husband she again stayed with them.  Her daughter is just a year or two older than Timmy, and they've met and played a bunch of times.

Heck, my mom has went with Brooke to Nunvaut twice to look after the daughter while she does her anthropology work.

It doesn't mean anything, but it's neat anyways to be connected even in such a tenuous fashion.

CountDeMoney

QuoteIt doesn't mean anything, but it's neat anyways to be connected even in such a tenuous fashion.

Yes, I feel that way about so many of you here.

derspiess

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 12, 2014, 03:27:24 PM
QuoteIt doesn't mean anything, but it's neat anyways to be connected even in such a tenuous fashion.

Yes, I feel that way about so many of you here.

We're your support group.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Malthus

Here's an underwater video of the wreck. Looks in amazingly good shape.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3IuUspyhpo
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Razgovory

Well no wonder it sank, it's all torn up.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017