Franklin Expedition Ship Found

Started by Malthus, September 09, 2014, 12:56:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Quote from: Josephus on September 15, 2016, 04:45:13 PM
Quote from: Barrister on September 15, 2016, 09:50:54 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on September 15, 2016, 12:07:48 AM
Quote from: Josephus on September 14, 2016, 12:18:47 PM
By the by, AMC has finally greenlit The Terror.

Based on the book by Dan Simmons, the 10-part series is a story about the crew of The Terror and um, the other ship, and how they were stalked by a giant polar bear.

No really, the book is better than it sounds.

In the novel the book the boat is blown up, so the find kind of throws a spanner into that.  It was a good novel for about two-thirds of the length.  At some point, the author forgot what he was doing and starts going off on strange tangents.  For instance, we suddenly cut to three sisters who make knocking sounds with their knees. The characters are real people but have no relation to what's going on the in rest of the book.

The Fox sisters!

They were tied into the story somewhat.  One of the sisters was romantically involved with (tries to remember, gives up, googles) Elisha Kane, an arctic explorer who went out on two ewpeditions to find Franklin.

I read a book a few years ago called Race to the Polar Sea about Kane, and it had extensive material about the Fox sisters.

BB, I know you're interested in the Franklin expedition. I do recommend this Simmons book. It's fiction that takes on a supernatural bent, but some of the historical stuff is really good. And it is a gripping thriller.

I'll keep an eye out.  Probably would not have picked it up on my own.  Thanks!
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Barrister

Random arctic explorer tid-bit:

Ran across this - basically a number of inuit groups are upset at a company called Ungava Gin for using a bunch of Inuit symbols and imagery in its ads.  Ungava Gin is named for the Ungava Penninsula in Quebec, where many Inuit live.

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2016/09/15/ungava-gin-inuit-cultural-appropriation_n_12017002.html

But this made me laugh knowing some arctic history.  Another major penninsula in the Arctic is the Boothia Penninsula.  It was discovered by explorer John Ross, who was sponsored by a man named Felix Booth.  Booth made his fortune as, you guessed it, a gin distiller, and sold a brand named Booth's Gin.  :lol:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Felix_Booth

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

viper37

Quote from: Valmy on September 15, 2016, 09:08:24 AM
Quote from: viper37 on September 14, 2016, 11:22:31 PM

black bears can be really dangerous in spring, when they just woke up and they're really hungry.  But during summer, and even fall, nope, there's plenty of food, they have made their reserves, and they don't want to expand too much energy running after a prey.

But black bears are so small. Can they really kill you? Perhaps dangerous to children.

Though granted black bears in Texas might be really small compared to black bears further north.
Yes they can kill you.  There was a jogger killed near Quebec city some years ago.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fatal_bear_attacks_in_North_America

edit: biathlon trainer, not jogger.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.