News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Going to Hell in a Handbasket

Started by Eddie Teach, August 28, 2014, 02:29:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What's the most worrisome/important thing going on in the world right now?

Russian aggression
15 (30.6%)
Pan-Islamic movements/Islamic fundamentalism
4 (8.2%)
Ebola
2 (4.1%)
China's continuing growth
7 (14.3%)
Summat to do with European monetary policy/future of EU
6 (12.2%)
Wall Street bankers not up against wall
8 (16.3%)
Beginning of football season
1 (2%)
Something else
2 (4.1%)
Jaron chatting up Mormon girls
4 (8.2%)

Total Members Voted: 48

Tonitrus

Quote from: Razgovory on August 29, 2014, 07:39:17 PM
The NATO of 1985 is not the same NATO we have today.  I'm not sure our European friends would be willing to lose everything for the sake of Latvia.  I think Putin senses it as well.  I think he can split NATO and dominate Europe. 

And if China is reading up on Mahan, then we don't need to worry about them that much.

Our friends may not, but we'd have to.  If we let them roll over even a Baltic member state, we might as well just toss the alliance.

Besides, even if most of Europe sits this one out, I think we could count on 38 million screamin' Poles.

CountDeMoney

Fuck yeah.  There's a lotta Hussars out there, just itching for payback.

Eddie Teach

I look forward to hearing about it when Marty tackles a Russian soldier.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Razgovory

Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 29, 2014, 07:42:18 PM
The NATO of 1985 is not the same NATO we have today.  I'm not sure our European friends would be willing to lose everything for the sake of Latvia.  I think Putin senses it as well.  I think he can split NATO and dominate Europe. 

Oh, bullshit.  He attacks NATO, and the ball goes up fast.  Watching Moscow getting glassed for Latvia is not something even filthy ass Russians want.

QuoteAnd if China is reading up on Mahan, then we don't need to worry about them that much.

They said that about the Kaiser, too.  Keep thinking that shit.

He doesn't have to directly attack Latvia.  He can ship weapons in to Ethnic Russians.  If he muddies the water  NATO could be split on how to respond, a split like that could destroy the alliance leaving Baltic open to invasion.

If the Chinese want to build a bunch of battleships and keep them in port as a fleet in being, they are welcome to it.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

DGuller

Oh, bullshit.  He attacks NATO, and the ball goes up fast.  Watching Moscow getting glassed for Latvia is not something even filthy ass Russians want.
Oh, bullshit.  It's not like Russia is not going to fire back.  Nuclear weapons are the ultimate game of chicken.  In such games, credibly crazy actors are at an advantage, and those perceived to be indecisive are at a severe disadvantage.  Until we have a Doomsday device that triggers even on covert invasions of NATO countries, there will always be some question mark over where our red line really is.

Ed Anger

DG's red line: the neareast blueberry farm
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

CountDeMoney

Eurotrash and their hang ups with Russians.  :rolleyes:

You guys need a new hobby, like Jews or something.

sbr

Phillip V

Summat to do with European monetary policy/future of EU

A weak EU will enable further Russian aggression and Islamist expansion. And ebola can easily spread to Europe's borders.

PJL

Quote from: Razgovory on August 29, 2014, 07:56:29 PM

QuoteAnd if China is reading up on Mahan, then we don't need to worry about them that much.

They said that about the Kaiser, too.  Keep thinking that shit.

He doesn't have to directly attack Latvia.  He can ship weapons in to Ethnic Russians.  If he muddies the water  NATO could be split on how to respond, a split like that could destroy the alliance leaving Baltic open to invasion.

If the Chinese want to build a bunch of battleships and keep them in port as a fleet in being, they are welcome to it.

So the old salami tactics then.