News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Going to Hell in a Handbasket

Started by Eddie Teach, August 28, 2014, 02:29:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What's the most worrisome/important thing going on in the world right now?

Russian aggression
15 (30.6%)
Pan-Islamic movements/Islamic fundamentalism
4 (8.2%)
Ebola
2 (4.1%)
China's continuing growth
7 (14.3%)
Summat to do with European monetary policy/future of EU
6 (12.2%)
Wall Street bankers not up against wall
8 (16.3%)
Beginning of football season
1 (2%)
Something else
2 (4.1%)
Jaron chatting up Mormon girls
4 (8.2%)

Total Members Voted: 48

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Monoriu on August 28, 2014, 08:55:25 PM
The masses voting ourselves more welfare.

While trimming government paychecks. :contract:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on August 28, 2014, 08:59:59 PM
While trimming government paychecks. :contract:

Right, why should private sector employees get all the stagnant wages?  That's not fair.

Siege

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on August 28, 2014, 02:29:50 PM
:hmm:

Whoa, all of them, me thinks.
In order of importance, in my non-humble opinion:

1- Pan-Islamic movements/Islamic fundamentalism
2- China's continuing growth
3- Russian aggression
4- Jaron chatting up Mormon girls
5- Ebola
6- Summat to do with European monetary policy/future of EU
7- Beginning of football season
8- Wall Street bankers not up against wall

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

viper37

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on August 28, 2014, 02:29:50 PM
:hmm:
The Russian thing.

Pan islamism can be stalled.  Aerial bombardments from US + ground attacks from Syria, Irak and Kurdistan, what's left of their armies.

Russia however, they're on the roll, and they're trying to use the islamist front to recreate their empire, and that is worrysome.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

The Brain

You young'uns don't remember, but there was once a Cold War against Russia and the West won. The West can win again without breaking a SWAT.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: The Brain on August 29, 2014, 04:57:20 PM
You young'uns don't remember, but there was once a Cold War against Russia and the West won. The West can win again without breaking a SWAT.

No shit.  So many Europeans freaking out over Russia doing what Russia does.
Relax, people.

DGuller

Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 29, 2014, 05:22:41 PM
Quote from: The Brain on August 29, 2014, 04:57:20 PM

No shit.  So many Europeans freaking out over Russia doing what Russia does.
Relax, people.
You're assuming this stops in Ukraine.  I'm not so sure that's the final objective.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: DGuller on August 29, 2014, 05:50:17 PM
You're assuming this stops in Ukraine.  I'm not so sure that's the final objective.

And where's it going to go?  NATO?  That's nukular war.

11B4V

QuoteWhat's the most worrisome/important thing going on in the world right now?

Burger King discontinued their crinkle fries.  :mad:
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

DGuller

Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 29, 2014, 06:13:21 PM

Is it?  Vlad may not be that convinced, and whether he's mistaken or not, that's a big problem.  I know you have your hard-on on China, but even from that angle, Russia's actions are going to strengthen it further.  Russia may not be in any easy alliance with China, but it sure is a hell of a lot easier than any alliance with the West any time soon.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: DGuller on August 29, 2014, 06:31:21 PM

Is it? 

Yup.

QuoteVlad may not be that convinced, and whether he's mistaken or not, that's a big problem.

The man's ex-KGB.  He may be the best mobster since Vito Corelone, but he's not stupid.  He knows exactly what the endgame is in a conflict with NATO.

QuoteI know you have your hard-on on China, but even from that angle, Russia's actions are going to strengthen it further.  Russia may not be in any easy alliance with China, but it sure is a hell of a lot easier than any alliance with the West any time soon.

Russia's entire strategic outlook is predicated upon two things:  the rectification of its former Soviet sphere of influence and the acquisition, retention and exploitation of natural resources in the near-home sphere--neither of which possess the strategic, long-term and direct threat to the United States as much as a hegemonic China (whose Party and military leadership is sucking down Mahan and Morgenthau like they're going out of style) in the most important part of the world, the Pacific Rim.  Russia is no longer in the business of challenging the United States on the global stage.  Obstructionist in the UN?  Selling arms to naughty pipples?  Yup.  But that makes them a global nuisance, not a global threat. 

Now, does Russia pose a threat to Europe?  Economically yes, but that was avoidable.  All those Euroweenies willfully went all in on their energy security with Russia, knowing full well what kind of man Putin was and the historical nature of Russia.  But that's their fucking bed, not ours.   You do business with organized crime, you deal with the consequences.

Tonitrus

Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 29, 2014, 07:22:14 PM
Quote from: DGuller on August 29, 2014, 06:31:21 PM

Is it? 

Yup.

QuoteVlad may not be that convinced, and whether he's mistaken or not, that's a big problem.

The man's ex-KGB.  He may be the best mobster since Vito Corelone, but he's not stupid.  He knows exactly what the endgame is in a conflict with NATO.

Agreed.  He's messing with the Ukraine because they are not in NATO and he know's the West is too impotent to do anything substantial about it.  Had to move now or risk Ukraine sneaking into NATO if they wait and it becomes too late.

Moldova could be a second step, but there's a lot of geography to cover before getting there, and I don't think Putin expects to pull off a total takeover of Ukraine.  Just a healthy nibble.

And with time, when thing settle down, we'll probably concede the Crimea as a fait accompli.  And the West pretty much has already. 

Edit: Hell, the shooting down of a passenger plane has pretty much lost it's 15 minutes of media fame already...that's how far we've sunk. 

Razgovory

The NATO of 1985 is not the same NATO we have today.  I'm not sure our European friends would be willing to lose everything for the sake of Latvia.  I think Putin senses it as well.  I think he can split NATO and dominate Europe. 

And if China is reading up on Mahan, then we don't need to worry about them that much.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Razgovory on August 29, 2014, 07:39:17 PM
The NATO of 1985 is not the same NATO we have today.  I'm not sure our European friends would be willing to lose everything for the sake of Latvia.  I think Putin senses it as well.  I think he can split NATO and dominate Europe. 

Oh, bullshit.  He attacks NATO, and the ball goes up fast.  Watching Moscow getting glassed for Latvia is not something even filthy ass Russians want.

QuoteAnd if China is reading up on Mahan, then we don't need to worry about them that much.

They said that about the Kaiser, too.  Keep thinking that shit.