Russo-Ukrainian War 2014-23 and Invasion

Started by mongers, August 06, 2014, 03:12:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zanza

He picked up a signed flag there that he will present to US Congress today. When he visits Biden in the WH today, a final Patriot confirmation is expected.

Grey Fox

US should announce giving them Abrams. Don't have to actually use them if the goal is only to get Germany to allow Leopards 2 to be delivered there.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

The Larch

Don't know if German tanks are very trustworthy at the moment.

QuoteGermany pauses buying Puma tanks after mass breakdown

All 18 tanks on exercises suffer problems in blow to German contribution to January Nato force

The German government has said it will pause purchases of new Puma tanks after a mass breakdown during exercises, lamenting a "harsh setback" as Berlin seeks to overhaul its military.

The armoured infantry vehicles – which were supposed to form part of Germany's contribution to a Nato force – suffered problems that left all 18 of those in the exercises unfit for operations.

But the minister of defence, Christine Lambrecht, said that Germany remained a reliable partner in Nato.

"Nato, our allies can rely 100% on the commitments made by Germany," Lambrecht said during a visit to Slovakia on Monday.

The Puma breakdowns shone another spotlight on Germany's attempts to modernise its ageing military after Russia's invasion of Ukraine.

"The latest failures of the Puma tanks are a harsh setback," Lambrecht in a statement earlier on Monday.

She ordered a probe into what went wrong, and said until the vehicles prove "stable" there won't be any new orders.

"Our troops must be able to rely on weapons systems that are robust and stable in combat," Lambrecht added.

The Pumas were supposed to be ready for use in a Nato taskforce for rapid deployments from January.

Lambrecht said that Germany would still fulfil its obligations towards the alliance, and instead of the Pumas would use ageing Marder tanks.

A defence ministry spokesperson said work was being conducted at full speed on "damage assessment", adding there had been an "unusually high failure rate" with the tanks.

The military has 350 Puma tanks, but only 42 had been set up to be used with the Nato force.

Berlin earlier this year announced plans to invest €100bn ($106bn) to modernise its armed forces, casting aside a postwar reluctance to spend big on its military to face the threat from Russia.

It is also buying dozens of US-made F-35 fighter jets but that project has run into problems, with the defence ministry raising concerns about delays and additional costs.

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: Zanza on December 21, 2022, 05:24:50 AMHe picked up a signed flag there that he will present to US Congress today. When he visits Biden in the WH today, a final Patriot confirmation is expected.

It's the first time he left the country since 24th of february right?
That must mean there's a sense of confidence in the situation on the ground.
I wonder if it also means a bigger offensive is going to kick off in short order.

Sheilbh

Definitely on confidence on the situation on the ground - same with going to Bakhmat or even Kherson the day after it was liberated. But it's perhaps a shift in strategy too?

Getting support internationally is essential for Ukraine. There is a risk of how bipartisan that support is in the US. I think there's probably diminishing returns on Zelensky's early approach of the calls to action online that worked so well in the early days of the war. This is his first but I suspect it won't be his last trip to a foreign legislature to rally support (he's already done remote addresses).

He's the symbol of resistance and now more than ever needs more support - both militarily but also in terms of generators etc.
Let's bomb Russia!

Josquius

Not leaving Ukraine until the war is won is a statement of intent that made sense back in the dark days when people were offering him shelter abroad.
But to continue that indefinitely would impact on this ability to do his job right.
I guess this is both recognition of the facts on the ground being much better for Ukraine and breaking the past pattern in the most appropriate way of visiting the country's major donor.
Agreed he'll probably visit the UK, Germany, and others in the new year.
██████
██████
██████

Zanza

Quote from: The Larch on December 21, 2022, 06:27:00 AMDon't know if German tanks are very trustworthy at the moment.
Apparently a consequence using them for training until they break without considering the maintenance intervals. If you have a complex (overengineered) machine and don't maintain it correctly, it breaks down.

Zanza

Quote from: Josquius on December 21, 2022, 08:59:35 AMAgreed he'll probably visit the UK, Germany, and others in the new year.
The US is the leader of the West and especially Biden is Ukraine's foremost supporter. I doubt he will visit European capitals soon,hardly comparable in relevance. He might eventually go to Brussels to meet with EU and NATO there.

Legbiter

Quote from: DGuller on December 20, 2022, 06:10:39 PMZelensky visited Bakhmut. :o On the one hand, I really admire his courage, and I'm sure the morale effect is real from such visits.

Especially the morale effect on the Russians. They've been hyping the imminent capture of it, it's always just about to fall, dumb hohol pigs are getting slaughtered there, etc and then Zelensky shows up to be with the soldiers...
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Barrister

Curious that Zelensky, in visiting with Biden, still is not wearing a suit, but it sticking with what look like fatigues.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Barrister on December 21, 2022, 03:09:16 PMCurious that Zelensky, in visiting with Biden, still is not wearing a suit, but it sticking with what look like fatigues.
I think it's important symbolism that he is not visiting as a peacetime leader.

QuoteThe US is the leader of the West and especially Biden is Ukraine's foremost supporter. I doubt he will visit European capitals soon,hardly comparable in relevance. He might eventually go to Brussels to meet with EU and NATO there.
I'm not sure - I think he might and Canada too. I could be wrong but I suspect part of it is that the situation has stabilised, but he needs to rally people in support again. Ukraine isn't front-page news day in, day out; people aren't watching all the online content that he puts out. This is an important way to get Ukraine back at the front of people's minds.

But the other point is European leaders (and Trudeau) have felt able to visit Kyiv in a way that for whatever reason Biden hasn't been able to. So it's an important gesture of the relationship with the US.
Let's bomb Russia!

OttoVonBismarck

Kinda annoyed to see Zelenskyy at the White House in his casual clothing. Does he not own a suit? This isn't a petty functionary like Scholz or BoJo he's meeting, this is the President of the United States. Show some respect to the man and country almost single handedly keeping you alive.

Barrister

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on December 21, 2022, 04:17:36 PMKinda annoyed to see Zelenskyy at the White House in his casual clothing. Does he not own a suit? This isn't a petty functionary like Scholz or BoJo he's meeting, this is the President of the United States. Show some respect to the man and country almost single handedly keeping you alive.

I found it interesting and worth noting, but I hardly think it's a sign of disrespect.

As Sheilbh pointed out Zelenskyy portrays himself as being a war-time leader and is dressing accordingly.  Help him finish the war and then he'll put on a suit.

I would think the sign of respect is that this is the first known time he's left Ukraine since the war started, and the place he went to visit wasn't Berlin, or London - it's Washington to meet with Biden.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Maladict

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on December 21, 2022, 04:17:36 PMKinda annoyed to see Zelenskyy at the White House in his casual clothing. Does he not own a suit? This isn't a petty functionary like Scholz or BoJo he's meeting, this is the President of the United States. Show some respect to the man and country almost single handedly keeping you alive.

He wore a suit meeting Biden in 2021, it's not disrespect.

celedhring

Quote from: Barrister on December 21, 2022, 04:35:20 PM

I found it interesting and worth noting, but I hardly think it's a sign of disrespect.

As Sheilbh pointed out Zelenskyy portrays himself as being a war-time leader and is dressing accordingly.  Help him finish the war and then he'll put on a suit.

I would think the sign of respect is that this is the first known time he's left Ukraine since the war started, and the place he went to visit wasn't Berlin, or London - it's Washington to meet with Biden.

Yeah, I feel that the moment he puts on a suit it will signal that "all is well" and we're not there yet.