News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

New York City is America's unhappiest town

Started by garbon, July 25, 2014, 04:10:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on July 28, 2014, 01:07:21 PM
The geographic center of population in 1940 was still in Indiana. This is because most people were coming over for jobs in the settled east, not to be pioneers in Indian territory.

Bunch of wimps!  Real men lived in hollow trees while fighting off wolves all night.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

CountDeMoney

Quote from: alfred russel on July 28, 2014, 12:27:41 PM
Also, for all the abuse he gets, Tim has more than a little of that pioneer spirit in him. He needed a summer job, so he took a gig as a door to door salesman in the deep south. Now he has moved to korea to spread knowledge of our language and customs to a foreign people.

He's teaching an entire generation of South Korean students shitty taste in movies and even shittier English.  Yahoo.

Jacob

Hey garbon, are you familiar with Humans of New York?

alfred russel

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 28, 2014, 02:08:44 PM
He's teaching an entire generation of South Korean students shitty taste in movies and even shittier English.  Yahoo.

The kid is scoring more asian ass than the marines deciding who to let onto the last helicopters out of saigon. He is doing alright for himself.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Syt

I have tremendous respect for Timmay. He left his home for an alien country with strange customs and unintelligible language and then went to Korea. Not many who have the guts for that.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Valmy

Quote from: alfred russel on July 28, 2014, 02:19:36 PM
The kid is scoring more asian ass than the marines deciding who to let onto the last helicopters out of saigon. He is doing alright for himself.

He is?  Huh.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Valmy

Quote from: Syt on July 28, 2014, 02:28:16 PM
I have tremendous respect for Timmay. He left his home for an alien country with strange customs and unintelligible language and then went to Korea. Not many who have the guts for that.

:lol:

mongers

Quote from: Syt on July 28, 2014, 02:28:16 PM

:D
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

garbon

Quote from: Jacob on July 28, 2014, 02:14:26 PM
Hey garbon, are you familiar with Humans of New York?

I'd forgotten about it but yes, I peruse those photos every so often. I love that kind of stuff. :)

On a different note, I found this blog pretty funny before it died off (/it also looks to have expanded a little bit to other cities before its demise). I don't really know who takes these apartments though unless it was a really needed place at the last possible minute. For most of these, something much better can be had at same price, though likely needing a bit more effort to find (for instance, at time of posting, I was paying less than what that person was being asked for "Loft bed setup with workstation" in west village on page 11).

http://www.worstroom.com/page/12
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Eddie Teach

Everything's in Manhattan and Brooklyn. Does that mean the other boroughs are reasonably priced, or just that the people there don't have internet?  :hmm:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

derspiess

IIRC in Staten Island rent is slightly lower, but still pretty high.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on July 28, 2014, 04:30:13 PM

Staten Island is the best.  You get to take a boat to work everyday.  It is like being a Pirate.

derspiess

Quote from: Valmy on July 28, 2014, 04:33:48 PM

Staten Island is the best.  You get to take a boat to work everyday.  It is like being a Pirate.

I guess you get used to it.  The few times I did that (stayed at a hotel on "The Island" and went to the Big East Tourney in Madison Square Garden) seemed like an ordeal, though.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on July 28, 2014, 04:33:48 PM

My one co-worker in SI took a bus.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.