Another US school shooter - Portland, this time

Started by merithyn, June 10, 2014, 11:54:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on June 11, 2014, 12:54:29 PM
So would you just surrender if you had armed people break into your house & you weren't sure who they were?

If they just burst in the front door?  The chances of it being somebody besides the cops is pretty remote.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

grumbler

Quote from: Valmy on June 11, 2014, 01:16:26 PM
So would you just surrender if you had armed people break into your house & you weren't sure who they were?

If they just burst in the front door?  The chances of it being somebody besides the cops is pretty remote.
Nah.  better to engage in a gunfight.  If the wife and kids get killed in the crossfire, that's just the price of FREEDUMB!
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

derspiess

Quote from: crazy canuck on June 11, 2014, 01:13:14 PM
Quote from: 11B4V on June 11, 2014, 11:15:56 AM
It's all bravado, until your either full of holes bleeding on the the floor or peeing yourself.

And they were yelling "Police!".  Yep

That was not my scenario.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

crazy canuck

Quote from: derspiess on June 11, 2014, 01:53:56 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on June 11, 2014, 01:13:14 PM
Quote from: 11B4V on June 11, 2014, 11:15:56 AM
It's all bravado, until your either full of holes bleeding on the the floor or peeing yourself.

And they were yelling "Police!".  Yep

That was not my scenario.

If I had armed people break into my house chances are they would be the police and so my answer is still, Yep.

Even if they were not the police chances are if I tried to resist armed men breaking into my house either I, or more importantly, a member of my family would be injured or killed, so my answer is still, yep.

Sheilbh

If I had armed people in my house there would be LOTS of screaming. I mean hell that happens when a houseguest overstays their welcome.
Let's bomb Russia!

derspiess

Quote from: crazy canuck on June 11, 2014, 01:57:30 PM
If I had armed people break into my house chances are they would be the police and so my answer is still, Yep.

Really?  The police are more likely to do that than criminals?
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

garbon

Quote from: Sheilbh on June 11, 2014, 01:59:56 PM
If I had armed people in my house there would be LOTS of screaming. I mean hell that happens when a houseguest overstays their welcome.

Oh that never happens to me. I always make it clear from before their arrival regarding the date that I will throw their ass out.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

frunk

Quote from: derspiess on June 11, 2014, 02:00:29 PM

Criminals generally try to be quiet or target a house with nobody in it when they break into someone's house.  Announcing their presence and making a lot of noise (meaning that you know they are there) isn't good criminal style.  So yes, if you are aware of someone breaking into your house chances are it is the police.

crazy canuck

Quote from: derspiess on June 11, 2014, 02:00:29 PM

Yeah.  Do you really think criminals are likely to enter a house in the same way the police do it?  I suppose if that is true in your part of the world it explains your attitude on this subject.

Sheilbh

Quote from: garbon on June 11, 2014, 02:07:57 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on June 11, 2014, 01:59:56 PM

Oh that never happens to me. I always make it clear from before their arrival regarding the date that I will throw their ass out.
I just start making less and less welcoming food.

'It's Thursday. I eat lentils. Deal.' <_<
Let's bomb Russia!

sbr

citizen k

http://http://www.krem.com/news/local/Local-deputies-detain-wrong-guy-man-wants-apology-236486981.html

SPOKANE COUNTY, Wash. -- A recent college graduate is waiting to hear the words "I'm sorry" from two Spokane County Sheriff's deputies.

Conner Guerrero said the deputies were sneaking around his house, forced him on his knees on his lawn, and handcuffed him in front of his neighbors.

But deputies had the wrong house and the wrong guy.

"Just trying to enjoy my evening.  All the sudden, I see a flashlight shining through my doors..." said Guerrero.  "I'm thinking this could be a dangerous situation for me."

Guerrero said he assumed the two men outside his house were burglars.

"I come over to my door and I slap it to say hey someone is in this house and they're not going to let you come in here."

He said he then got the scare of his life.

"Right as soon as I opened this door, and it's dark outside - it's very dark and all I can see is a pistol."

As Conner ran for cover, he heard a man yell 'Sheriff's Office' and asking him to come out.  Guerrero said he immediately complied.

"I'm wondering why the hell is a gun being pointed at me right now!"

Conner said the deputies accused him of being an intruder on his own home.

"They directed me to take a knee, well both knees," he said.  "The gun [was] still drawn.

The deputies then reportedly took his ID, proving Guerrero lived there.

But he claimed when the mistake was realized, he was the one apologizing while the deputy said something that gave him chills.

"'You're lucky I didn't [expletive] shoot you,'" Conner said.

He soon learned the deputies were responding to a report of a suspicious vehicle but went to the wrong house.

The Sheriff Ozzie Knezovich admitted the mistake.

"We went to the wrong house yes...after that they handled the call for what it was advised of," Knezovich said.  "They showed up, it was a dark house, fresh tire tracks, they were looking for a burglar."

The Sheriff also said the way Guerrero reacted made the situation worse.

"You don't pound on a door, open it and slam it that way.  Put yourself in the deputies' position," said Knezovich.

The Sheriff added that the Spokane County Sheriff's Office issued an apology to Guerrero.   Guerrero said, however, he would not be satisfied until he received a personal apology from the two deputies.

Malthus

Clearly, a shootout would be preferable to demanding an apology.  :)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Razgovory

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on June 11, 2014, 11:39:18 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on June 10, 2014, 05:16:38 PM
I don't think that's why they all do it.  Most of them seem to be suicides where they want to take out a few people with them.  Thirty years ago, most of them would have just hung themselves or something.

I think people thirty years ago had more ability to recover their lives after reaching a point of desperation for some reason. Now, it's too easy to spoil your rep on social media or render yourself un-hireable with a silly mistake that back then would have been no big deal. Everything is magnified now, and that includes the desperation factor.

I doubt that.  I believe Suicide rates were higher in the early 1990's then they are now, long before Facebook.  Most of these are young men without criminal records and often aren't even out of school.  I think dissatisfaction of their social life is a far bigger factor.  However the difference is that instead of just quietly killing themselves they decided to take out the people they blame for their predicament with them.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017