Another US school shooter - Portland, this time

Started by merithyn, June 10, 2014, 11:54:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Anger

Quote from: derspiess on June 11, 2014, 08:39:05 AM
Quote from: Ed Anger on June 11, 2014, 06:09:08 AM
Speaking of Cops, my bro's department is issuing AR-15's to all the officers.  :menace:

Hope they do it the right way and issue one to each officer.  I heard of one county or department issuing one per car, so two partners have to share one.  Must be fun trying to aim a rifle zeroed for someone else.

One officer to a car/SUV. So everybody gets a rifle. :w00t:
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

CountDeMoney

Quote from: derspiess on June 11, 2014, 08:39:05 AM
Quote from: Ed Anger on June 11, 2014, 06:09:08 AM
Speaking of Cops, my bro's department is issuing AR-15's to all the officers.  :menace:

Hope they do it the right way and issue one to each officer.  I heard of one county or department issuing one per car, so two partners have to share one.  Must be fun trying to aim a rifle zeroed for someone else.

Only the sector's duty sergeant had the shotgun in his car.  Not so much a need to zero out a Remington 870.

Ed Anger

The SUV's the cops use now are bitchin'. A mobile war wagon.  :)

CountDeMoney

I'm sure they come in handy in Ohio, the front line in Homeland Security.

Ed Anger

Ed Anger

I'd like to run over Seedy's jeep with Ohio State's MRAP.

Ed Anger

While bleating out inspirational speeches out the speakers of Woody, Tressel and Urban. Eat that, Notre Dame boy.

derspiess

Quote from: Ed Anger on June 11, 2014, 09:18:39 AM

I get a kick out of the freakouts on Facebook whenever one of my friends posts that their local PD got one of those as a hand me down from the Army.  "And what exactly do they think they need *these* for???"
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

Landmines will no longer be sufficient to keep the po-po from your home.  :(
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Berkut

Quote from: derspiess on June 11, 2014, 09:50:53 AM

I get a kick out of the freakouts on Facebook whenever one of my friends posts that their local PD got one of those as a hand me down from the Army.  "And what exactly do they think they need *these* for???"

I think the militarization of the police is ridiculous. We should be freaking out.

What is bizarre is that over the last 30 years, violent crime has dropped considerably, but we keep arming our cops with heavier and heavier weapons, putting them in body armor, using SWAT teams for routine search warrants, and creating this culture where the police see themselves as practically at war with the citizens. It is Orwellian.

And for what? What problem is being solved by all this? It is done under the auspices of "Homeland Security", but the local university getting a SWAT team isn't going to prevent a terrorist attack. Turning the police into a para-military organization doesn't serve any purpose I can think of, other than selling more toys, weapons, and bullshit military gear.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Valmy

Quote from: Berkut on June 11, 2014, 10:06:01 AM
I think the militarization of the police is ridiculous. We should be freaking out.

What is bizarre is that over the last 30 years, violent crime has dropped considerably, but we keep arming our cops with heavier and heavier weapons, putting them in body armor, using SWAT teams for routine search warrants, and creating this culture where the police see themselves as practically at war with the citizens. It is Orwellian.

And for what? What problem is being solved by all this? It is done under the auspices of "Homeland Security", but the local university getting a SWAT team isn't going to prevent a terrorist attack. Turning the police into a para-military organization doesn't serve any purpose I can think of, other than selling more toys, weapons, and bullshit military gear.

Lets not forget giving them all black uniforms.  It is all the War on Drugs, and the money associate with it, driving this.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

CountDeMoney

That's because it's silly and unnecessary.

Malthus

Quote from: Berkut on June 11, 2014, 10:06:01 AM

In the US, this seems counter-balanced by an increase in deep distrust aimed at the cops, and bizzare legislation like the one where you can shoot cops wrongfully entering your house without being punished.

It is all very odd and bizzare to an outsider.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

derspiess

Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 11, 2014, 10:14:31 AM

That's because it's silly and unnecessary.

So you're one of *them* :hmm:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall