Did the US make the correct decision to enter the First World War?

Started by Razgovory, May 24, 2014, 11:55:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Did the US make the correct decision to enter the First World War.

Yes!
16 (45.7%)
No!
14 (40%)
I don't know!
5 (14.3%)

Total Members Voted: 34

Razgovory

Been thinking of WWI lately, and wonder if the US should have stayed neutral or entered the war.  Wondered what the rest you folk think.  I think entering the war was a mistake, as I could see no real benefit for the US to enter the war.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Ideologue

Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Josquius

It lost them little and they got to play a full part in remaking the world- that they lost interest in this soon afterwards is where a problem lies
██████
██████
██████

jimmy olsen

100,000 Americans would have lived rather than dying while serving in the military and the Spanish Flu epidemic may have been completely avoided saving the lives of tens of millions the world over.

The Kaiserreich winning did not represent an existential threat to America the way that Nazi Germany winning would have.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

Agelastus

Quote from: jimmy olsen on May 25, 2014, 05:03:05 AM
The Kaiserreich winning did not represent an existential threat to America the way that Nazi Germany winning would have.

Short term certainly not; long term? I'm not so sure - the German plans for redrawing Europe's borders weren't far short of Hitler's in scope and with the addition of their Colonial ambitions... :hmm:

Say the Germans had grabbed the French Colonies in the Americas as part of the peace treaty and started expanding their influence in Latin America - could they have become an existential threat then?
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

Josquius

100,000 Americans would have lived rather than dying while serving in the military and the Spanish Flu epidemic may have been completely avoided saving the lives of tens of millions the world over.

100,000 dead Americans vs. what, a million+ more? dead people from other countries.

I've never really read about the Spanish Flu. What do you mean there? From what I know it seems unlikely that America being in the war was the difference that caused it.

The Germans weren't going to win the war by the time the Americans joined.
And as Agelastus says, long term a victorious Germany would be very dangerous to the US.
It would utterly dominate central and eastern Europe, that gives it enough clout to dominate the world. And they do have proven colonial ambitions.
Even if a German Empire dominated world wouldn't be the hell a Nazi dominated world would be, it still goes against American interests.
██████
██████
██████

The Brain

Yeah cause winning WW1 made the world safe from German aggression. :hmm:
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Tyr on May 25, 2014, 05:54:54 AM

100,000 dead Americans vs. what, a million+ more? dead people from other countries.

I've never really read about the Spanish Flu. What do you mean there? From what I know it seems unlikely that America being in the war was the difference that caused it.

The Germans weren't going to win the war by the time the Americans joined.
And as Agelastus says, long term a victorious Germany would be very dangerous to the US.

It would utterly dominate central and eastern Europe, that gives it enough clout to dominate the world. And they do have proven colonial ambitions.
Even if a German Empire dominated world wouldn't be the hell a Nazi dominated world would be, it still goes against American interests.
The Spanish flu, contrary to the name originated in Kansas and was spread by American soldiers to Europe.

The Federal Reserve would not have continued to issue loans to Britain if America had not joined the war effort, in fact it had ceased to so months prior. Without these loans Britain would have been unable to simultaneously finance it's own war effort while heavily subsidizing France.

1 Karma Chameleon point

grumbler

I have no idea what the point here is.  Is this an argument for, or against, US involvement?  It seems to me that the US wouldn't have lost 100,000 people if it hadn't entered the war (which was the question), while millions would have already died by the time the decision was made.

QuoteI've never really read about the Spanish Flu. What do you mean there? From what I know it seems unlikely that America being in the war was the difference that caused it.
You are probably correct.  The popular myth that the flu started in kansas is just a myth (though there was an early outbreak there).  However, the movement of troops and material to and from Europe probably explained why the influenza spread so quickly.

QuoteThe Germans weren't going to win the war by the time the Americans joined.

So, the Germans couldn't win, but it would be bad when they did?  :hmm:

Interesting theory.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Josquius

Quote from: grumbler on May 25, 2014, 07:12:49 AM
I have no idea what the point here is.  Is this an argument for, or against, US involvement?  It seems to me that the US wouldn't have lost 100,000 people if it hadn't entered the war (which was the question), while millions would have already died by the time the decision was made.
I mean that without America in the war the Germans would probably have been more inclined to drag out the war a bit longer, killing a lot more people than the 100,000 Americans that died (and the Germans they killed).
From a purely selfish American perspective that's no argument in favour of the US being involved, but from a global perspective I'd like to think their sacrifice was for the greater good.

So, the Germans couldn't win, but it would be bad when they did?  :hmm:

Interesting theory.
They weren't going to win but in a theoretical situation where they do, it wouldn't be great for American interests.
██████
██████
██████

Queequeg

Yes.  Should have entered earlier so that the Provisional Government in Russia had a chance.  The Ottomans and the Austrians were scum, and Germany was already well on it's way to going full retard. 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."