Did the US make the correct decision to enter the First World War?

Started by Razgovory, May 24, 2014, 11:55:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Did the US make the correct decision to enter the First World War.

Yes!
16 (45.7%)
No!
14 (40%)
I don't know!
5 (14.3%)

Total Members Voted: 34

Siege

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 25, 2014, 01:56:09 PM
Quote from: garbon on May 25, 2014, 01:54:01 PM
Why does it have to be either or?

I'm sure Mr. Wilson would've been open to your alternatives at the time, whatever they may have been.

Likely not. I think my family was in MS
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: Siege on May 25, 2014, 01:59:16 PM
At this point, what difference does it make?

All the difference in the world, my good boy.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Razgovory

If we let the Euros bleed a bit more, European Imperialism might have collapsed 20 years early.  Imagine an Israel independent in 1929.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Agelastus

Quote from: Razgovory on May 25, 2014, 04:53:13 PM

If we let the Euros bleed a bit more, European Imperialism might have collapsed 20 years early.  Imagine an Israel independent in 1929.

I'm having a bit of difficulty imagining that given the demographic situation in Palestine at the time.
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

jimmy olsen

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 25, 2014, 01:42:22 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on May 25, 2014, 01:27:13 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on May 25, 2014, 12:01:18 PM
If they'd won and enacted their plans - especially after the first year - Germany definitely would've been a danger too the US.

Oh?

They were very, very interested in the Caribbean and Latin America, in your typical German military expansionist kinda way.  It's not news.
So what? Our navy was right next door and unlike the Soviets, the Germans wouldn't be peddling an ideology that would inspire the locals to join their side voluntarily.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

CountDeMoney

Quote from: jimmy olsen on May 25, 2014, 05:22:02 PM
So what? Our navy was right next door and unlike the Soviets, the Germans wouldn't be peddling an ideology that would inspire the locals to join their side voluntarily.

Fuck you, so what.  Go get gunned down by Katmai or something. 

Sheilbh

They were very, very interested in the Caribbean and Latin America, in your typical German military expansionist kinda way.  It's not news.
And they basically wanted the annexation or control of the entire North Sea coast, considerable British colonies in Southern Africa and the dismantling of the Royal Navy.

Given the comparatively piffling rise of Japan in the Pacific, it's tough to see how that shift wouldn't represent a danger for the US in the Atlantic.
Let's bomb Russia!

Agelastus

If they'd won and enacted their plans - especially after the first year - Germany definitely would've been a danger too the US.

Oh?

You really think that ideology is the sole cause of resentment towards the USA in Latin America? Particularly in the first half of the twentieth century in the aftermath of the USA's aggressive policy in the Carribean of the first two decades of the Century?
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be

grumbler

I presume that those telling us so assuredly what the Germans wanted out of WW1 are relying on Fischer?  I'd point out that his isn't the only opinion on the topic.  I think he egged his beer, myself.

Interestingly, the Germans were interested in a negotiated settlement of the war, even when Germany seemed to be winning, while the British and French were not (Lloyd George was especially contemptuous of the idea of stopping the butchery).  The conditions the Germans were to present had the Allies agreed to talks in Dec 1916 are not entirely clear (lots of secondary-source guessing but no primary sources), but the fact that the Germans were willing to talk peace after the fall of Romania is interesting.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Agelastus on May 25, 2014, 05:31:30 PM

Oh?

You really think that ideology is the sole cause of resentment towards the USA in Latin America? Particularly in the first half of the twentieth century in the aftermath of the USA's aggressive policy in the Carribean of the first two decades of the Century?
Sure, the elites would definitely try to get German support to counter the US. However there aren't going to be popular revolutions overthrowing the government and setting up Hohenzollern monarchies. 
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

Agelastus

Quote from: jimmy olsen on May 25, 2014, 06:51:56 PM

Oh?

Sure, the elites would definitely try to get German support to counter the US. However there aren't going to be popular revolutions overthrowing the government and setting up Hohenzollern monarchies.

And in a quest for influence in Latin America how is this going to make a material difference?
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be

Siege

Oh?

Yes. The elites in the Caribbean supported and in many cases called for US intervention.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Agelastus on May 25, 2014, 06:56:29 PM

And in a quest for influence in Latin America how is this going to make a material difference?
Fighting over the supports of elites is a lot easier than fighting for the support of the people.

1 Karma Chameleon point

Agelastus

Quote from: jimmy olsen on May 25, 2014, 06:58:36 PM
Quote from: Agelastus on May 25, 2014, 06:56:29 PM

Fighting over the supports of elites is a lot easier than fighting for the support of the people.

And this will cause a material difference how?

Latin America: Communism versus USA = Coups.
Latin America: Kaiserreich versus USA = Coups.
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be