News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

NCAA Football, 2014-2015

Started by sbr, April 10, 2014, 06:28:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Quote from: sbr on December 11, 2014, 11:35:09 AM
The hiring of Anderson is huge, imo.  As Berkut said, or didn't want to say, in terms of programs or 'jobs' Anderson didn't make a lateral move he made a backwards move.  He went from a perennial Big-10 contender to a team that is pretty hard to recruit to, has bad facilities, a questionable commitment to football and a below average donor base. 

The original though was that the OSU job was going to turn into a stepping stone program, which would be kind of embarrassing for a Pac-12 school.  Bring in the new young hotshot from the Mountain West or whatever, and have him bolt for a better job and more money at the first sign of success.  But there is a chance that Anderson may have taken this job because he wants to be there, which would be a good thing for the Beavs.

This is all very much speculation because I haven't even seen a written interview with the guy yet, so who knows.  But why else would you leave Madison for Corvallis?

Oh, I totally agree this is a slide down the totem pole, profile-wise.  But this may also be the right move for him in his life.  Big 10 ball is a microscope, and OSU has its own expectations with the Civil War, but the first person I thought of thinking about this move was June Jones.  Not everybody has a Saban or Meyer ego, and sometimes people fit better in smaller ponds.

dps

Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on December 11, 2014, 11:38:24 AM
They did announce a $40 facilities upgrade this week

That probably won't get them as far as they imagine.  :P

I guess they're buying Anderson a new coffee pot for his office.

alfred russel

Quote from: CountDeMoney on December 11, 2014, 11:44:56 AM
The hiring of Anderson is huge, imo.  As Berkut said, or didn't want to say, in terms of programs or 'jobs' Anderson didn't make a lateral move he made a backwards move.  He went from a perennial Big-10 contender to a team that is pretty hard to recruit to, has bad facilities, a questionable commitment to football and a below average donor base. 

The original though was that the OSU job was going to turn into a stepping stone program, which would be kind of embarrassing for a Pac-12 school.  Bring in the new young hotshot from the Mountain West or whatever, and have him bolt for a better job and more money at the first sign of success.  But there is a chance that Anderson may have taken this job because he wants to be there, which would be a good thing for the Beavs.

This is all very much speculation because I haven't even seen a written interview with the guy yet, so who knows.  But why else would you leave Madison for Corvallis?

Oh, I totally agree this is a slide down the totem pole, profile-wise.  But this may also be the right move for him in his life.  Big 10 ball is a microscope, and OSU has its own expectations with the Civil War, but the first person I thought of thinking about this move was June Jones.  Not everybody has a Saban or Meyer ego, and sometimes people fit better in smaller ponds.

A factor could be that Wisconsin right now is an almost impossible job to have. Wisconsin isn't a large state, and the school is decidely in the second tier of the Big 10 in terms of tradition. I'm not sure winning there is any easier than at Minnesota and Illinois, but you are following Barry Alvarez and Bret Bielema who kicked ass. If you do an absurdly good coaching job over an extended stretch, you are just meeting expectations.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Ed Anger

The Big Ten west is a dumpster fire right now.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Ed Anger

Ed Anger's Army-Navy prediction:

Army 24
Navy 21
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

CountDeMoney

MadImmortalMan

Navy finally waking up. Was that a 20-yard sack?  :lol:
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

MadImmortalMan

The gloves that make a picture when you put your hands together thing is getting annoying already.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

CountDeMoney

You know, for two branches of service that rely so much upon air power, you'd think they'd have figured out the forward pass by now.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

lustindarkness

Thanks to the Navy I was not able to watch the Army Navy game. <_< And I was so busy that by the time I logged on to the interwebs to get the score, the game was over with!  :mad: Go NAVY, beat ARMY.  :)
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

MadBurgerMaker

PDH

Jesus the Wyoming coach, Craig Bohl, is being tossed about as a dark horse for some of the jobs.  Sure, he won 3 straight FCS titles with NDSU, but he was 4-8 at Wyoming in year 1.  Give him a couple of years here to make Wyoming mediocre again before hiring him away.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

sbr

Good for Marcus.  Great player and great kid.

It's pretty cool to see a Duck win the award, but it was pretty clear that this was going to be the result for at least a couple of weeks now.

sbr

And how in the HELL does Troy Smith have the largest margin in Heisman history.  :lmfao: