News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Sochi 2014 Winter Olympics

Started by Liep, February 06, 2014, 10:00:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tonitrus

Summer Olympics in the SH's "winter", especially places like Rio, will probably much more comfortable for the athletes.

viper37

Quote from: Barrister on February 13, 2014, 10:22:00 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on February 13, 2014, 07:09:02 AM
All the candidate city, so far, for 2022 all sucks.

:huh:

Bids are:

Krakow
Oslo
Almaty
L'viv
Beijing

Only Almaty is :bleeding: .  I'd probably write off L'viv due to recent political problems in Ukraine, and Beijing seems unlikely.  But either of Krakow or Oslo would be fine.
Oslo isn't cool enough, it's rainy this time of the year.

Quebec city is great, but we have no mountains high enough.  Besides, I don't want 50b$ govnmt money into this... :)
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Tonitrus

Anchorage or Whitehorse should be candidates.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Grey Fox on February 12, 2014, 08:01:52 PM
The hugging serve a purpose you know.

Yes, I know. But it doesnt work well in a hockey game.

alfred russel

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Barrister

Quote from: Tonitrus on February 13, 2014, 12:37:44 PM
Anchorage or Whitehorse should be candidates.

Whitehorse:

-almost certainly too small, not enough hotel rooms
-travel would be quite difficult.  While the airport runway is big enough to take even a 747, the terminal can only handle a handful of big planes at once
-Mt Sima, the local ski hill, isn't anywhere near high enough.  To get big enough you'd probably have to start a resort in the Kluane Mountains, which is a National Park (and yes, plenty of ski resorts exist in national parks now, but that's from a different time)
-It's pretty cold in Whitehorse in February.  It's -21C there today
-who is going to pay for it?  City of Whitehorse is too small, as is YTG (Yukon Territorial Government).  For Vancouver, most costs were underwritten by the city and province.  For Yukon, you'd need the Feds to step in, and I don't see them spending that kind of money on a region with so few votes.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on February 13, 2014, 12:50:49 PM
For Vancouver, most costs were underwritten by the city and province.  For Yukon, you'd need the Feds to step in, and I don't see them spending that kind of money on a region with so few votes.

More importantly the Fed money in Vancouver went toward infrastructure upgrades that were needed in any event.  like the sky train link from the airport to downtown.  The infrastructure upgrades required  for remote communities would be extensive and costly (see Sochi even without the corruption) and would be overkill for what is required after the games.

Zanza

Quote from: Liep on February 13, 2014, 12:08:35 PM
Also, Germany leads the medal race so far. They're just very good at luge, and it looks like they're getting another one in the luge relay. :lol:
If you add up the various German teams (GER, FRG, GDR, EUA) that competed in the Winter Olympics, Germany is comfortably the most successful nation in total medal count over all Winter Olympics.

Tonitrus

Anchorage could probably use the infrastructure upgrades...but the politicians there would never go for it.  Alaska as a whole could support it...but probably only by trying to tap into the Permanent Fund.  Also political suicide.

Tonitrus

Quote from: Zanza on February 13, 2014, 01:01:27 PM
Also, Germany leads the medal race so far. They're just very good at luge, and it looks like they're getting another one in the luge relay. :lol:
If you add up the various German teams (GER, FRG, GDR, EUA) that competed in the Winter Olympics, Germany is comfortably the most successful nation in total medal count over all Winter Olympics.

And the Swiss are probably best on a per capita basis.

Edit: Hmm, maybe Austria...didn't realize there were so many Swiss.

Zanza

No, that's without any doubt Norway. They have won more medals than countries like the USA or USSR+Russia and more than twice the amount of Switzerland.

Admiral Yi

Surely Norway must lead per capita.  Their entire population is a couple thousand.

Liep

Quote from: Tonitrus on February 13, 2014, 01:08:07 PM
Quote from: Zanza on February 13, 2014, 01:01:27 PM

And the Swiss are probably best on a per capita basis.

Edit: Hmm, maybe Austria...didn't realize there were so many Swiss.

Surely that must be the Norwegians, there's just about 5 millions.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Tonitrus

Yep, Norway.  For some reason I thought there were more Nords.  :P

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Barrister on February 13, 2014, 12:09:17 PM
Quote from: Liep on February 13, 2014, 12:05:52 PM
Kazakhstan can't be worse than China or Russia.

Sure it can.  It's more like Belorussia, than Russia itself.  Both China and Russia at least have nicer facades of democracy than Kazakhstan.

Also, it's muslim.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?