Sochi 2014 Winter Olympics

Started by Liep, February 06, 2014, 10:00:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grey Fox

Quote from: crazy canuck on February 12, 2014, 04:57:24 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on February 12, 2014, 11:05:05 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on February 12, 2014, 10:45:39 AM
Quote from: viper37 on February 12, 2014, 12:02:22 AM
It's a shame CC doesn't like hockey, he'll have to take a week off from this thread and olympic covering :(

Actually I enjoy watching Olympic hockey.  They play by international rules and thus there is no fighting.  For example I enjoyed watching the third period of the Women's game this morning. :)

Seriously? Your only grip with the NHL is the fighting?

No, but it is my biggest grip.  If they took fighting out of the league I would give it a second look.  To keep my as a fan they would also need to take out all hugging after the play is whistled dead.  I want to watch hockey, not bad wrestling and boxing.

The hugging serve a purpose you know.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

PRC

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 12, 2014, 06:59:04 PM
I think curling chicks look better than they truly are because the lighting off the ice is so flattering.

:D  That's awesome.  Probably true.

Syt

Projected temperature in Sochi today: 19°C.

Let's have one of the next Winter Olympics in the Moroccan Atlas mountains!
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Grey Fox

All the candidate city, so far, for 2022 all sucks.

Liep

The Chinese runner in the women's 500m short circuit final pulled a Bradbury and won gold. :lol:
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

derspiess

Quote from: Syt on February 13, 2014, 05:16:56 AM
Projected temperature in Sochi today: 19°C.

Let's have one of the next Winter Olympics in the Moroccan Atlas mountains!

I'm of the opinion the Winter Olympics should be held somewhere in the Alps at least once every two Games.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Liep

It's was even 12°C in the mountains where they held the cross-country. I think it's all the way down to 10°C now at the men's biathlon. :P
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Tonitrus

To be fair, i've always wondered if mid-February might be a bit late in the winter (outside of Northern Europe/Canada, of course) for the Olympic Games.  But I'd have to research Sochi's temps for early, mid-January to see if would have made any difference. 

But also, they probably would just have been breaking ground on the hotels in Sochi in mid-January anyway.  :P

Grey Fox

Every time we'll have Winter Olympics in Mountaineous region that are also on the sea we will have that weather.

Sochi is quite similar to Vancouver in that regard. I expect Pyeonchang to be the same.

Liep

Fourcade :D, best time yet and he simply takes off his skis and walks away looking completely unaffected. Everyone else is taking a few minutes just lying on the ground grasping for air.

Barrister

Quote from: Grey Fox on February 13, 2014, 07:09:02 AM

:huh:

Bids are:

Krakow
Oslo
Almaty
L'viv
Beijing

Only Almaty is :bleeding:.  I'd probably write off L'viv due to recent political problems in Ukraine, and Beijing seems unlikely.  But either of Krakow or Oslo would be fine.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Grey Fox

Quote from: Barrister on February 13, 2014, 10:22:00 AM

Bids are:

Krakow
Oslo
Almaty
L'viv
Beijing

Only Almaty is :bleeding:.  I'd probably write off L'viv due to recent political problems in Ukraine, and Beijing seems unlikely.  But either of Krakow or Oslo would be fine.

Third World
Best
Third World
Third World
Third World but can pull it off.

Tonitrus

Beijing?  Has a city ever done both Winter and Summer Olympics (after the split, of course)?

Valmy

Beijing?  Didn't we just do that?  China should put it on in the Himalayas.  Lhasa 2022!
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Barrister

Quote from: Grey Fox on February 13, 2014, 10:23:03 AM
Quote from: Barrister on February 13, 2014, 10:22:00 AM

Bids are:

Krakow
Oslo
Almaty
L'viv
Beijing

Third World
Best
Third World
Third World
Third World but can pull it off.

Krakow isn't third world.  It was a very lovely city.  My only complaint was that in 2009 a lot of the highways were shit, but they were building even back then.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.