Possible California ballot iniative to raise the minimum wage to $10, then $12

Started by jimmy olsen, January 17, 2014, 12:46:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 28, 2014, 06:33:02 PM
I'm thinking it's not their call.  Hopefully Mimsy can comment.
Maybe a body responsible for, say, upkeep of government premises - but again they've got to operate within their budget.
Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Sheilbh on January 28, 2014, 06:36:07 PM
Maybe a body responsible for, say, upkeep of government premises - but again they've got to operate within their budget.

Sure.

MadImmortalMan

Federal procurements are done under guidelines set out in the FPDS, which is managed by the US General Services Administration. (Think ministry of administrative affairs. :P )

Most departments of the government contract out their programs directly, but under the rules set out by the procurement office. You can actually check out what's out there and coming up for bid here.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Razgovory

I was under the impression that goverment contractors are hired through a bidding process.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

CountDeMoney

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on January 28, 2014, 05:18:36 PM
I'll tell you how it works.

You are company X and you want to bid on a contract to provide cleaning services for Federal Building Y. You go through the bidding process (which is arcane and I will not waste time with that right now), and you get the contract.

In the contract, it will have provisions for the amount of the contract, the minimum amount to pay each employee, what percentage of the contract must be spent on salaries, what percent on benefits, and often percentages for other things too, like cleaning products and equipment. It is through these contract provisions that Obama would have the ability to make the mandates. That's why he specified the going forward part.

Now, I've seen a lot of contracts over the years, and I have never ever seen one that mandated less than ten bucks an hour minimum. I have seen many with minimums much higher than that. I'm sure they probably exist somewhere. But the fact that I've never seen a single one, even for jobs like dishwashers and janitors tells me that it's probably damn rare.

Thing is, those GSA contract numbers are impacted by the Federal locality matrix, just like every other federal labor costs, e.g., why janitorial contractors for a federal building in Nebraska make a shitload less than janitorial contractors for a federal building in Washington, DC.

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

CountDeMoney

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 28, 2014, 07:47:09 PM
Thing is, those GSA contract numbers are impacted by the Federal locality matrix, just like every other federal labor costs, e.g., why janitorial contractors for a federal building in Nebraska make a shitload less than janitorial contractors for a federal building in Washington, DC.

Depends. Some of the biggest agencies I've worked with set the prices flat. Alabama, Massachusetts, doesn't matter. The more the control over things is centralized, the more that is the case.

For example most of the time, a particular agency will have several HQs across the country. Boston, Dallas, Philly, SF, etc, and they have territories they are responsible for. They will usually set the prices at that level and they will vary. Recently, and particularly since about 2009, the agencies have been taking procurement authority away from the regional offices and handling it from Washington. So now we're seeing a lot more of the one wage fits all approach.

We've got people asking to be transferred from San Fran and Mass to Arkansas and Alabama as a result.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

CountDeMoney

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on January 28, 2014, 08:46:39 PM
Recently, and particularly since about 2009, the agencies have been taking procurement authority away from the regional offices and handling it from Washington.

WHAT COULD HAPPEN

CountDeMoney

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on January 28, 2014, 08:46:39 PM
We've got people asking to be transferred from San Fran and Mass to Arkansas and Alabama as a result.

Hell yeahs.  You could live like a king in Alabama with the equivalent of a Massachusetts locality boost.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: garbon on January 28, 2014, 09:14:03 PM
Living like a king in Alabama? Meep.

Worked for quite a few generations down there.  Depending on circumstance, of course.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

Oooh, look what you can get down there for only $250K--

http://www.birminghamidx.com/listing.php?sid=1629861&mls=473924&site_id=675&page_current=1

edit:  that would make a hell of a law office.

edit, part deux:
http://www.birminghamidx.com/search_results.php?sid=1629864&site_id=675&class_id=1&type[]=ConvSingleFamily&price_range_low=200000&price_range_high=250000&listing_count=10

Some nice ass houses for $250K.  You just have to tolerate living in Alabama.

derspiess

Seedy, unless you could spend 100% of your time on an SEC campus, you'd go postal after living 2 months in the deep south.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall