Main Menu

Islamists capture Fallujah

Started by Syt, January 05, 2014, 12:31:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

So are you saying that they needed more....diplomacy?  :hmm:

Jacob

Quote from: KRonn on January 06, 2014, 08:25:22 PM
After all the effort the US and allies put into Iraq and it's coming to this mess. The US did not handle leaving well at all, too much politics to make sure to leave at nearly any cost. I don't want the US to go back in, but after all the lives, injuries and money put in there had to be a much better plan for leaving Iraq and in better condition. Push and bargain harder for a Status of Forces Agreement, as is done everywhere the US has troops. Iraq certainly needed the US, and had to know it!

Sec State Kerry now says it's Iraq's issue, that the US and the world told them that it was all up to them or some such blather, but come on, that smacks of trying to deflect from the mistake of how the US/allies left and it makes US leaders look foolish and impotent. To top it all off Iran has gained huge influence there.

Wasn't that the prediction right when the US went in?

DGuller

Quote from: Jacob on January 06, 2014, 08:27:50 PM
I don't know, I was too busy nursing my war boner to listen to such stuff.

Razgovory

After all the effort the US and allies put into Iraq and it's coming to this mess. The US did not handle leaving well at all, too much politics to make sure to leave at nearly any cost. I don't want the US to go back in, but after all the lives, injuries and money put in there had to be a much better plan for leaving Iraq and in better condition. Push and bargain harder for a Status of Forces Agreement, as is done everywhere the US has troops. Iraq certainly needed the US, and had to know it!

Sec State Kerry now says it's Iraq's issue, that the US and the world told them that it was all up to them or some such blather, but come on, that smacks of trying to deflect from the mistake of how the US/allies left and it makes US leaders look foolish and impotent. To top it all off Iran has gained huge influence there.

It was.  The "Iraq is now a mess and Iran gains from it", ship sailed long, long ago.  You know what Iraq needs?  Saddam Hussein.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

fhdz

Quote from: Razgovory on January 06, 2014, 08:54:35 PM

It was.  The "Iraq is now a mess and Iran gains from it", ship sailed long, long ago.  You know what Iraq needs?  Saddam Hussein.

:lol:

It's true, which sucks. :(
and the horse you rode in on

Ed Anger

Quote from: DGuller on January 06, 2014, 08:34:20 PM
I don't know, I was too busy nursing my war boner to listen to such stuff.

Stop stealing my stchick.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

DGuller

I thought your boner was of the murder variety, or did you get your hands on other boners as well?

Ed Anger

fhdz

and the horse you rode in on

KRonn

It was certainly a possibility obviously. But it was in reasonably stable condition, not so much under Iranian influence, and the worst of the radical elements had been chased out or put down. So I think it's quite valid to say that the US could have done much better as the Iraqi occupation wound down. It's more like making excuses for failure to wash our hands of something we put so much effort, blood and money into to let it go down the tubes.

Ed Anger

DGuller

Quote from: KRonn on January 06, 2014, 09:57:23 PM

It was certainly a possibility obviously. But it was in reasonably stable condition, not so much under Iranian influence, and the worst of the radical elements had been chased out or put down. So I think it's quite valid to say that the US could have done much better as the Iraqi occupation wound down. It's more like making excuses for failure to wash our hands of something we put so much effort, blood and money into to let it go down the tubes.
Yes, we should definitely flush more effort, blood, and money down the toilet, so that it wouldn't seem that the effort, blood, and money we already spent was flushed down the toilet.

Siege

Quote from: Ed Anger on January 06, 2014, 09:43:56 PM
War is murder.

I disagree. Murder is killing your fellow citizens.

Politicians have extended the term to cover enemy non-combatants, even though the enemy have not extended such to our civilians.
But we are American Soldiers and we fight how and where we are told, and win where we fight.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

KRonn

I didn't say we should flush more blood and money down the toilet! Leaving Iraq could have been done much better, to try for success rather than wring our hands while things fail. Just as some ideas, a US presence to train Iraqi troops and retain some influence in the country as an ally, would have gone a long way to help in the aftermath. And I'm sure the US leadership could have come up with good ideas. Rather than flush down toilet all we did in the first place. The US has many troops in many countries, still in the Balkans even.

Razgovory

Quote from: KRonn on January 06, 2014, 10:10:40 PM
I didn't say we should flush more blood and money down the toilet! Leaving Iraq could have been done much better, to try for success rather than wring our hands while things fail. Just as some ideas, a US presence to train Iraqi troops and retain some influence in the country as an ally, would have gone a long way to help in the aftermath. And I'm sure the US leadership could have come up with good ideas. Rather than flush down toilet all we did in the first place. The US has many troops in many countries, still in the Balkans even.

Keeping more troops in the country will result in more troops dying there.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017