News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

A Joyous and Blessed Colombus Day

Started by Admiral Yi, October 14, 2013, 05:31:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

I think we should ditch it.  There's nothing good about it.  Every place I've ever worked traded Columbus Day for the Friday after Thanksgiving.  Columbus has a very tenuous connection to the US, and he was a dick.

Caliga

I agree.  But I don't think it's a very good idea to piss off the Eyetalians.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

lustindarkness

I'm conflicted. If The Evil White Man had not landed on the island Boriken and raped all the pretty big butt Taino women, and then brought the african slaves to rape too, I would not exist. :unsure:
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

katmai

All i got from that is Lusti condones Rape.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Savonarola

In Detroit it was nice to have because it's also Canuck Thanksgiving.  Canadians working in the US, or Americans with family in Canada didn't have to take another day off.  :Canuck:
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

garbon

At my current job we get to pick two of 3: MLK, Columbus and Christmas Eve. My Canadian coworkers always have Columbus off so it makes for a light day.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

I'm a-fer it.  Columbus is the least threatening of all the explorers to celebrate the rape-rape of the New World.

"Happy Cortez Day" just doesn't have the same ring to it, and would be a helluva downer of a 2nd grade assembly skit.

DGuller

I think it reminds us of an important lesson about tolerance.  Sometimes not slaughtering the new people you meet to the last man can really backfire.

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Eddie Teach

Then Tim would just start coloring in Central America on his maps.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on October 15, 2013, 11:37:02 AM
Then Tim would just start coloring in Central America on his maps.

"Look, the Confederate States of Belize!"