Highpoint of 20th Century American Culture?

Started by Queequeg, October 13, 2013, 03:01:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greatest decade of American culture in the 20th Century?

00s
1 (2.9%)
10s
0 (0%)
20s
7 (20.6%)
30s
2 (5.9%)
40s
1 (2.9%)
50s
5 (14.7%)
60s
3 (8.8%)
70s
3 (8.8%)
80s/Jaron
5 (14.7%)
90s
7 (20.6%)

Total Members Voted: 33

CountDeMoney

That was a lot of shark fins in the late 1800's, man.

Queequeg

Quote from: Gups on October 15, 2013, 10:59:32 AM
60s for music
40s or 70s for film
90s for TV
20s for architecture
30s for books
:hmm:
Actually pretty convincing.  I like that the 80s are kept out, too.
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Eddie Teach

Not gonna accept that our best era for music is one dominated by British bands.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

The Brain

80s for music. Who can stand against Puppets and Justice? Rhetorical.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Savonarola

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on October 15, 2013, 02:42:51 PM
Not gonna accept that our best era for music is one dominated by British bands.

It was the high point of Motown and Stax.  John Coltrane released "A Love Supreme."  Classical music started coming back from the awfulness of serial music with the beginning of minimalism; most notably Terry Riley's "In C."  Brian Wilson hadn't gone completely crazy yet.  Even if the Beatles dominated the charts, the Americans had a solid decade.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

The Brain

If "solid" is what America can hope to achieve then I don't want to be American anymore.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

The Larch

I'd say that Motown, Beach Boys, Janis Joplin, Bob Dylan, Jimi Hendrix, Joan Baez, Peter Paul & Mary, Grateful Dead, Ray Charles, James Brown, Aretha Franklin, Otis Redding, The Mamas & The Papas, Simon & Garfunkel, The Doors, MC5, Creedence Clearwater Revival, as well as Johnny Cash at his peak, Elvis and Sinatra already icons, bubblegum pop and dance crazes..that's way more than solid in my book.