Highpoint of 20th Century American Culture?

Started by Queequeg, October 13, 2013, 03:01:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greatest decade of American culture in the 20th Century?

00s
1 (2.9%)
10s
0 (0%)
20s
7 (20.6%)
30s
2 (5.9%)
40s
1 (2.9%)
50s
5 (14.7%)
60s
3 (8.8%)
70s
3 (8.8%)
80s/Jaron
5 (14.7%)
90s
7 (20.6%)

Total Members Voted: 33

Eddie Teach

Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 13, 2013, 09:27:38 PM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on October 13, 2013, 09:25:34 PM
partly for television(which is still getting better and better as cable networks don't have to program for the lowest common denominator)

That's because you missed the '70s, when television sitcom writing was intelligent, and intended for intelligent people.

I've seen them on TVLand and Nick at Nite. Meh.

I don't really care for sitcoms that much anymore anyway.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Ideologue

Quote from: garbon on October 13, 2013, 09:27:10 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on October 13, 2013, 09:22:48 PM
To be clear, when I said it was better in the 1960s how people related to one another, I did mean "white people."

Clearly. After all, you are a Southerner.

I also meant Boomers and I hate those guys.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

garbon

Quote from: Ideologue on October 13, 2013, 09:36:39 PM
To be clear, when I said it was better in the 1960s how people related to one another, I did mean "white people."

My mother was a boomer, so shut your damn mouth.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

derspiess

My family entirely skipped the Boomer generation.  Thank God.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Neil

Quote from: garbon on October 13, 2013, 09:13:21 PM
Quote from: Neil on October 13, 2013, 09:10:42 PM
Quote from: garbon on October 13, 2013, 09:04:55 PM
And then denying what I really was. Sounds fabulous. <_<
You'd probably have been better for it, you selfish fuck.
Probably not. Instead of one small bout of depression, I probably would have suffered it my whole life. Particularly given the state of pharmaceuticals back then.
I'm sure you would have sucked it up and acted like a person.  That's what people did.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

garbon

Quote from: Neil on October 13, 2013, 09:42:58 PM
Quote from: garbon on October 13, 2013, 09:13:21 PM
Quote from: Neil on October 13, 2013, 09:10:42 PM
Quote from: garbon on October 13, 2013, 09:04:55 PM
And then denying what I really was. Sounds fabulous. <_<
You'd probably have been better for it, you selfish fuck.
Probably not. Instead of one small bout of depression, I probably would have suffered it my whole life. Particularly given the state of pharmaceuticals back then.
I'm sure you would have sucked it up and acted like a person.  That's what people did.

There was also a tendency to stick people suffering from mental illness in attics.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Ideologue

Quote from: garbon on October 13, 2013, 09:38:01 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on October 13, 2013, 09:36:39 PM

My mother was a boomer, so shut your damn mouth.

So is my dad.  He's great.  But so what?
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

derspiess

Anyway, the clear answer to the question is the 50s.  I'd love to have lived back then about as much as you types would like to send me back there.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

garbon

Quote from: derspiess on October 13, 2013, 09:58:44 PM
Anyway, the clear answer to the question is the 50s.  I'd love to have lived back then about as much as you types would like to send me back there.

I thought you lived there. :unsure:

CountDeMoney

Anyway, I voted 80s.  Both MTV and Reagan's 300-ship Navy defeated the Soviet Union in between commercial breaks before The Day After and The Cosby Show.  It was the high point of Pax Americana.

derspiess

Quote from: garbon on October 13, 2013, 10:08:37 PM
Quote from: derspiess on October 13, 2013, 09:58:44 PM

I thought you lived there. :unsure:

I do the best I can. 

Anyway, Seedy makes a compelling point about the 80s.  I remember a bit of the 70s, but outside of the Bid Red Machine and the Bicentennial there wasn't much there.  The 80s had it all, though.  If the question were "best decade to be in college" I'd vote for the 90s, but overall for the decades I've lived in, 80s is tops.

Ideologue

I feel like if I were born in 1960, I'd have a house, a wife, kids, no criminal record, and probably serious debt but that's a lateral move.
Kinemalogue

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ideologue on October 13, 2013, 10:19:12 PM
I feel like if I were born in 1970, I'd have a house, a wife, kids, and probably serious debt but that's a lateral move.

I was born in 1970, and I have none of that. 

:unsure:

Ideologue

Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 13, 2013, 10:20:31 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on October 13, 2013, 10:19:12 PM
I feel like if I were born in 1970, I'd have a house, a wife, kids, and probably serious debt but that's a lateral move.

I was born in 1970, and I have none of that. 

:unsure:

I meant 1960.  You know I edit.  We all know I edit.
Kinemalogue