News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Remembering the Yom Kippur War, 40 Years Ago.

Started by mongers, October 08, 2013, 07:00:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

I though someone would post about the 40th anniversary of Yom Kippur War.

Al Jazeera had an interesting documentary about the first week, part of series telling the story of the war, with some rather interesting 'talking heads' from both sides. Also plenty of archive footage, which has been telecined rather well:

http://www.aljazeera.com/programmes/specialseries/2013/10/remembering-war-october-2013107122612930786.html

This first part is still airing today, the 9th and the 2nd part is available from the 10th.

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

11B4V

Probably the most militarily creative the Egyptians have been in 3000 years. At least for the first couple of days.  :P 
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Viking

Quote from: 11B4V on October 09, 2013, 12:28:13 AM
Probably the most militarily creative the Egyptians have been in 3000 years. At least for the first couple of days.  :P

i beg to differ, the idea that egyptians don't know that water plus soil = mud and the mud flows downhill is preposterous ;)

While I agree their missile defenses were inventive. The most creative they had been militarily is pretending that the 6 day war didn't happen and that they won the yom kippur war.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

derspiess

I was alive but I don't remember the Yom Kippur War.  I remember the 1982 Lebanon War and initially rooting for the Syrians because of my uncle.  He & my granddad helped set me straight on that  :Embarrass:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

jimmy olsen

What about the Mamelukes?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Grinning_Colossus

That would be more Circassian or Abkhazian military creativity.
Quis futuit ipsos fututores?

Queequeg

Quote from: jimmy olsen on October 10, 2013, 10:33:21 AM
What about the Mamelukes?
Tatars and Circassians.
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Queequeg

Quote from: Grinning_Colossus on October 10, 2013, 10:52:01 AM
That would be more Circassian or Abkhazian military creativity.
A lot of them were primarily or only Turcophones.
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Malthus

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Queequeg

Ya, I was going to post Ali but then remembered that he was Albanian. Egypt sucks.

Queequeg

That said, Ali's involvement in Greece would have been near-genocidal.  Though, oddly, the fear of slaughter by Egyptian intervention finally stirred European intervention in the Greek War of Independence. 

Siege

Quote from: derspiess on October 09, 2013, 10:40:24 AM
I was alive but I don't remember the Yom Kippur War.  I remember the 1982 Lebanon War and initially rooting for the Syrians because of my uncle.  He & my granddad helped set me straight on that  :Embarrass:

Elaborate.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

mongers

Quote from: Siege on October 11, 2013, 04:27:56 PM
Quote from: derspiess on October 09, 2013, 10:40:24 AM

Elaborate.

They're Palestinian-Americans.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Phillip V

Israel needs to fully annex Jerusalem and then establish themselves on both sides of the Jordan River.

Alarmingly, Jewish-Americans seem to be disintegrating.