Man burns self in middle of National Mall today

Started by merithyn, October 04, 2013, 05:20:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HVC

Quote from: Razgovory on October 04, 2013, 07:53:02 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on October 04, 2013, 07:02:57 PM
If I need help with a political suicide, I don't think getting a schizophrenic to be my second is the best choice, from a media standpoint.

Who else would do it?  You need someone who has already put a lot of thought into lighting you on fire.
thats like, what, half of languish?
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

HVC

Quote from: Ideologue on October 04, 2013, 07:57:03 PM
I'M NOT SETTING MYSELF ON FIRE
see, this is a perfect example of your lack of commitment :P
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

fhdz

and the horse you rode in on

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

DGuller

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

fhdz

and the horse you rode in on

Scipio

My wife threatened to ban me from the internet, I've been laughing so hard.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

Crazy_Ivan80

did he get fined for smoking in a public place? Or is that still allowed there?

merithyn

He died. :(

QuoteBy Associated Press, Published: October 4 | Updated: Saturday, October 5, 3:05 PM
WASHINGTON — A man who set himself on fire on the National Mall in the U.S. capital has died of his injuries, which were so severe that authorities will have to use DNA and dental records to identify him, District of Columbia police said Saturday.

The man died Friday night at a Washington hospital where he had been airlifted, Officer Araz Alali, a police spokesman, said.

The man poured the contents of a red canister of gasoline on himself in the center portion of the mall Friday afternoon. He then set himself on fire, with passing joggers taking off their shirts to help put out the flames. Police had said he was conscious and breathing at the scene, but he was airlifted to MedStar Washington Hospital Center with life-threatening injuries.

Police are investigating the man's possible motives. Lt. Pamela Smith of the U.S. Park Police said Friday she was not aware that he had carried any signs with him or had articulated a cause.

One witness, Katy Scheflen, said she did not hear the man say anything intelligible before he set himself on fire. But she said she did notice that another man with a tripod was standing nearby and had disappeared by the time the police had arrived. It was not immediately clear whether a recording exists.

"He appeared to be waiting for something to happen. After it happened, he was gone," Scheflen, a Justice Department lawyer, said Saturday of the man with the tripod.

"I can't say what the connection was between them or whether there was a connection," she added.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Ideologue

Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

lustindarkness

Do they issue burn permits at the national mall?
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall