Man burns self in middle of National Mall today

Started by merithyn, October 04, 2013, 05:20:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

merithyn

QuoteA man who poured a can of gasoline on his head and set himself on fire on the National Mall in the nation's capital has been airlifted to the hospital, police and fire officials said Friday afternoon.

The man, whose name was not immediately known, suffered life-threatening injuries, said D.C. fire department spokesman Tim Wilson.

He was standing by himself at Seventh Street and Madison Drive, in the center portion of the Mall, when he emptied the contents of a red gas can on himself and set himself on fire moments later, said Katy Scheflen, who witnessed it as she walked through the Mall.

She said passing joggers took off their shirts in an effort to help douse the flames, and the man was clearly alive as the flames spread. A police department spokesman said he was conscious and breathing at the scene. MedStar Washington Hospital Center tweeted that the man was taken there but had no condition update.

"There was not a lot people could do because it was a gasoline fire," she said.

She said he may have said something before he acted "but it was nothing intelligible." She said she did not see him holding any signs.

"I'm not aware of any signage or any articulation of any causes," said Lt. Pamela Smith of the U.S. Park Police, which is investigating along with the D.C. police department.

The D.C. police department has dispatched its violent crimes branch, which responds to cases in which a person suffers serious injury.

Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

mongers

I remember a good few year back wander around Westminster, as I got into St James Park a helicopter flew in low heading for parliament square, a man had just set fire to himself in front of parliament.

I may have passed him a few minutes earlier, if just a bit later I'd have seen his both courageous and sad protest. 

I was only when I got home and saw the news item, that I realised what had happened, always remember that day, my carefree wander in contrast to his careworn final day.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Ideologue

I'm surprised we haven't gotten more of these.

It's gotta suck that he survived, though.  That's why when were I to make a similar statement, I'm going for exsanguination.  Slightly less spectacular, but a lot more margin for error.  You don't wake up quadriplegic or missing your face.  It'd also permit the use of a written statement.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

lustindarkness

I said this had started, I bet more things already have but not made public.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

PDH

Quote from: lustindarkness on October 04, 2013, 06:12:00 PM
I said this had started, I bet more things already have but not made public.

It started long ago.  Society gets to a fucked up enough position that there is no out for too many people.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Razgovory

Quote from: Ideologue on October 04, 2013, 05:54:01 PM
I'm surprised we haven't gotten more of these.

It's gotta suck that he survived, though.  That's why when were I to make a similar statement, I'm going for exsanguination.  Slightly less spectacular, but a lot more margin for error.  You don't wake up quadriplegic or missing your face.  It'd also permit the use of a written statement.

If you want, I can help.  I'll keep away the first responders till you are dead.  We'd have to practice first of course.  Light just parts of you on fire to see if you can stand it.  You want to do Buddhist thing where the fire doesn't seem to bother you, we don't want you running around screaming.  That would detract from the message and make it look like you didn't think it through.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Eddie Teach

You need a safe word. Something like "Raz, stop pouring gasoline on me, you freak!" or "What are you doing with that lighter?"
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Ideologue

If I need help with a political suicide, I don't think getting a schizophrenic to be my second is the best choice, from a media standpoint.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

DGuller

Making a statement that no one around you understood, and then setting yourself on fire only to painfully critically injure yourself?  Talk about an epic fail.

Ideologue

Quote from: DGuller on October 04, 2013, 07:11:43 PM
Making a statement that no one around you understood, and then setting yourself on fire only to painfully critically injure yourself?  Talk about an epic fail.

Yeah, that was the lede I buried.  My first impression was "hell yeah," but the execution was weak.

Well, the good part about surviving is that he can take a mulligan, right?
Kinemalogue

Razgovory

Quote from: Ideologue on October 04, 2013, 07:02:57 PM
If I need help with a political suicide, I don't think getting a schizophrenic to be my second is the best choice, from a media standpoint.

Who else would do it?  You need someone who has already put a lot of thought into lighting you on fire.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Ideologue

Kinemalogue

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Ideologue

Kinemalogue