News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Suits

Started by PRC, September 28, 2013, 10:57:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richard Hakluyt

I wear them at funerals. Since I don't go to funerals that often I usually have to buy a new suit each time (and white shirt and formal shoes, but not the tie.....that is usually still there from the last time). I buy them at Marks and Spencers and get the 3rd cheapest which is quite sufficient to convey the appropriate impression of conformist respectability.

Josquius

Something machine washable. Having to go to the dry cleaners regularly is a pain.
██████
██████
██████

MadImmortalMan

I prefer a fitted cut to the jacket. It has to be wider at the shoulder than at the waist. Also I like high armholes. So I can raise my arms without the whole suit lifting up. Two or three buttons doesn't matter much, just never button the bottom one. I like two buttons a little more just because it's less hassle. Don't like double breasted. Don't like vests underneath. I saw a Korean guy in a bar in Seattle with a three piece, turned-up collar, stuffed-up sleeves and a watch chain dangling off his vest. I prefer a little more classic look than that. He looked like Scrooge McNinja.

I prefer a slight break on the pants, and flat fronts. No highwaters and no pleats. I do like funny socks sometimes. I'd say my sock arsenal is about 80% normal 20% brightly-colored.

I don't wear suits that often though. West Coast business culture and all that.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

garbon

I was hoping this was about the tv show. :(
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Ed Anger

I just get the suits at Jos A Bank and Men's Whorehouse. I once spent the cash on an Armani suit but it didn't amaze the locals and it is ill fitting on me now.

But damn, it was sharp.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ed Anger on September 29, 2013, 08:58:10 AM
I just get the suits at Jos A Bank and Men's Whorehouse.

I really like JA Bank's stuff..

Suits I like conservative, so blues, slate grays, a couple browns and elements of black, since you don't have to worry about the style clock;  not big on patterns or pinstripes (that's for shirts) so those should be subdued;  if you want to make an individualized "statement", save it for the shirt/tie/shoes combo.  Don't like the "latest fashion" bullshit like 4 button or wide collars, etc., as that can age a suit which--like Yi says--you should wear the wheels off of.

Personally, I like them loose-fitting for comfort and draping, not tapered unless you're really in shape;  even if you're not chunky-syle like me I think you should still use suspenders, if not for comfort than for appearance.  Nothing worse than suit pants all bunched up from a belt.

Pedrito

Single breasted, Three buttons, never close more than the middle one. And this one only if facing a low-twenties blizzard.

The front pleat must be so sharp you can slice a loaf with it. The flap must be no more than 3 cms high, and it must fall some millimetres above the shoe's heel. No flap is inexcusable.

Loro Piana fabrics are the best out there. For the summer, linen suits are acceptable only if one has le physique of Daniel Craig.

Hermes or Marinella ties, the smaller the drawings, the better.

Light blue shirt, no button-down.

Dark blue socks, shoes the same color as belt, never different from black or brown.

L.

Edit: suspenders are good, too; possibly black.
b / h = h / b+h

27 Zoupa Points, redeemable at the nearest liquor store! :woot:

Queequeg

Depends on weight, body type and age.  Generally speaking I'd try to avoid both the super-skinny lapel and low-waisted trouser trends, as they're both gasping their last breaths.  I despise Joseph A. Bank, but something similar (Brooks Brothers) is probably the best option if you're not going to make a habit of it.  I'd avoid three pieces or three butons-the first is trendy but easy to get wrong, and the second is still a little 90s at this point. 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Queequeg

Probably best to avoid doing anything really truly fancy if you're a total newcomer.  If you're youngish-thin, I think the retro-60s look is acceptable now in almost any context, and generally looks pretty good, and is hard to truly fuck up. 
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Queequeg

Capetan Mihali

I have two suits, one a totally generic dark blue with faint pinstripes and a flat front, the other a light grey three piece (in theory, since I never wear the vest) with thicker stripes and pleats.  Purchased 2 for $300 at Syms, R.I.P. -- "The Educated Consumer Is Our Best Customer."

I expected to purchase at least a couple more suits, but as it turns out, day-to-day criminal lawyering in northern Vermont only calls for real suits when a jury's around.  I only lasted a week and a half in my suits until I'd had enough of comments about being overdressed. :(  Hell, the middle-aged State's Attorneys wear Converse to court sometimes. :blink:  So I bought some free-floating non-khaki slacks that I pair with a brown or blue-patterned sport coat and tie for most days.
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

katmai

I wanna see Mihali in a suit like cousin Vinny
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Capetan Mihali

"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son