News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Suits

Started by PRC, September 28, 2013, 10:57:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ideologue

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on September 29, 2013, 11:45:12 PM
I have two suits, one a totally generic dark blue with faint pinstripes and a flat front, the other a light grey three piece (in theory, since I never wear the vest) with thicker stripes and pleats.  Purchased 2 for $300 at Syms, R.I.P. -- "The Educated Consumer Is Our Best Customer."

I expected to purchase at least a couple more suits, but as it turns out, day-to-day criminal lawyering in northern Vermont only calls for real suits when a jury's around.  I only lasted a week and a half in my suits until I'd had enough of comments about being overdressed. :(  Hell, the middle-aged State's Attorneys wear Converse to court sometimes. :blink:  So I bought some free-floating non-khaki slacks that I pair with a brown or blue-patterned sport coat and tie for most days.

That's pretty neat.  Not like that at all in SC.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Barrister

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on September 29, 2013, 11:45:12 PM
I have two suits, one a totally generic dark blue with faint pinstripes and a flat front, the other a light grey three piece (in theory, since I never wear the vest) with thicker stripes and pleats.  Purchased 2 for $300 at Syms, R.I.P. -- "The Educated Consumer Is Our Best Customer."

I expected to purchase at least a couple more suits, but as it turns out, day-to-day criminal lawyering in northern Vermont only calls for real suits when a jury's around.  I only lasted a week and a half in my suits until I'd had enough of comments about being overdressed. :(  Hell, the middle-aged State's Attorneys wear Converse to court sometimes. :blink:  So I bought some free-floating non-khaki slacks that I pair with a brown or blue-patterned sport coat and tie for most days.

Bizzare.

Even in shithole Nunavut or Yukon communities of a few hundred people, you're expected to show up for court in a suit.

Sure, there's the time I was half way through a trial when I realized I was still wearing snowboots (hey, it was cold and our courthouse was an old community hall), and the judge didn't really mind, but you couldn't just, on purpose, start wearing slacks and a sports coat.

And of course, for juries (or superior court trials in general) barristers robes are still required.  Let me tell you, nothing,but nothing, makes you stand out in a town like Watson Lake, YT like going out on lunch break wearing barrister's robes.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: 11B4V on September 28, 2013, 11:10:51 PM
Quote from: PRC on September 28, 2013, 10:57:09 PM
Having just come back from buying a new suit I thought i'd ask Languish... what do you look for in one?

Pants. I dont own a suit.

Blauer and Dickies can go with anything!

Grey Fox

I don't own a proper suit anymore. Would only need to wear it at a funeral & anyway I just sport a dress shirt & pants.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: Ideologue on September 29, 2013, 11:52:42 PM
That's pretty neat.  Not like that at all in SC.

In Charlotte, certain older judges would lambaste female lawyers for not dressing ladylike if they wore pantsuits. 

But then, one such old (white) district court judge had the bailiffs handcuff a young (black) attorney and drag him in when he was in a different courtroom while something was set for that judge's court.
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Brazen

There's a fashion in London for suits to have the jacket collar buttonhole and one of the cuff buttonholes sewn with red stitching. That was unique and quirky for just one guy, once.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Brazen on September 30, 2013, 09:23:34 AM
and one of the cuff buttonholes sewn with red stitching. That was unique and quirky for just one guy, once.

Yeah, I've noticed that in English clothier catalogs.  Figured it was some sort of "I heart Ken Livingstone" secret code or something.

sbr

How much time do you spend perusing English clothier cataloges?

CountDeMoney

A lot more time than I'd like, fuck you very much.

sbr

PRC

Any thoughts on having a matched handkerchief in jacket breast pocket... ridiculous or always a must? 

Barrister

Quote from: PRC on September 30, 2013, 11:37:38 AM
Any thoughts on having a matched handkerchief in jacket breast pocket... ridiculous or always a must?

I think it makes you look a little bit garbon-esque, but some guys seem to like the look.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: PRC on September 30, 2013, 11:37:38 AM

Not for work.  Save it for the cocktail parties.

Iormlund

I have a grand total of one suit. Italian, dark grey, no vest.

Jacob

I have three suits.

A slate grey Armani suit which was my mainstay "one suit" for years - weddings, funerals, etc. Sad to say, it's a bit tight around the waist these days.

I have a cheap black Japanese junior salary man suit - from Muji in fact - which I got great mileage out of. I'd never have worn the grey suit out to night clubs etc, but the black suit let me indulge in ratpack/ 007 posturing while out on town which was great.

I have another not too expensive Japanese suit. This one in a slightly fashionable (and thus easily dated) shade of blue with cream pinstripes. I tend to wear the jacket only most of the time, rather than the complete suit.

Technically I have a fourth suit - a vintage mod style suit from Savile Row from '67. I got it when I was 19, so it's a little too tight in too many places and it has a hole on the knee from a scuffle in the street outside a Selecter show on night; so I don't wear it.

Then I have a couple of sports coats - both quite summery: one with white and light blue stripes, the other tan.