News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Suits

Started by PRC, September 28, 2013, 10:57:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PRC

Having just come back from buying a new suit I thought i'd ask Languish... what do you look for in one?

Would love some opinions on the fit (do you like it snug or a little loose), fabric, cut & style, three buttons or two, colour, pattern (pinstripe, checked, plain)... let's hear it!

How much do you like to spend on a suit?  Can you get away with a $149 sale at Moore's or do you feel a need to spend $300, $500, $1,000 or more? 

Does your workplace have a "keeping up with the Jones's" type of requirement for you to always look sharp or be ostracized (I imagine the lawyer's deal with this)?

How many suits do you need?  If you wear a suit to work every day do you need five or ten plus?  How often do you feel the need to update?

Funky striped / coloured socks that match funky tie or black socks, simple tie? 

What about the shoes!?

Lot's of question's but that's just to stimulate some talk on this subject.   :bowler:

11B4V

Quote from: PRC on September 28, 2013, 10:57:09 PM
Having just come back from buying a new suit I thought i'd ask Languish... what do you look for in one?

Pants. I dont own a suit.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

PRC

Quote from: 11B4V on September 28, 2013, 11:10:51 PM

There's a surprise!  Not even for funerals?

dps

Single-breasted, 3-piece pinstripe is my preference, with 3 buttons.  I don't wear a suit to work, so I buy them mostly for church, funerals, etc., and since I don't need them for work, I can get by with a cheap suit, usually $200-$250, though the last suit I bought was over $500.  Prefer a tie with a bit of color, but no garish patterns or the like.

11B4V

Quote from: PRC on September 28, 2013, 11:17:17 PM
Quote from: 11B4V on September 28, 2013, 11:10:51 PM

There's a surprise!  Not even for funerals?

No one's died yet, so no.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Admiral Yi

Two button, a little room to move, ventless.  100% wool is best, but some blends look OK.  Some obviously look like crap.

When I was suiting up daily I had 3 suits and a blazer.  Wear it till the ass wears out or you lard up too much.

Only black socks.  No need to fuck with that shit in the morning.

I've always been partial to wingtips.

DGuller

You can't go wrong with an Adidas suit.

Eddie Teach

For special occasions, I'll wear a shirt with a collar.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Razgovory

I would dress in my native costume.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

PRC

PRC

Admiral Yi

If you're 6th generation preppie, you're born knowing how to match socks.

Barrister

Quote from: PRC on September 28, 2013, 10:57:09 PM
How much do you like to spend on a suit?  Can you get away with a $149 sale at Moore's or do you feel a need to spend $300, $500, $1,000 or more? 

Does your workplace have a "keeping up with the Jones's" type of requirement for you to always look sharp or be ostracized (I imagine the lawyer's deal with this)?

You know what - as a whole criminal lawyers are pretty shitty dressers.  There's a handful on the defence side who are dressed very well, but most of them look like crap.

I think I'm in the lower to middle range.  I buy Moore's suits (though not $149 specials).  I don't stand out, but I don't think I look like crap.

For American's - Moore's is owned by, and follows the same philosophy, as Men's warehouse.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

The Brain

Suits need to be rad.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

jimmy olsen

I bought a couple of hand made armani style suits from some back alley guy in Itaewon who's sold suits in bulk to Nick Clegg and other famous persons (he's got photos of them with him up on his wall).  Two for 450,000 won, but much higher quality than that. Makes worse jokes/puns than anyone on Languish. 
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point