News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Obamacare and you

Started by Jacob, September 25, 2013, 12:59:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What's the impact of Obamacare for you (and your family)? Assuming it doesn't get defunded or delayed, of course...

I live in a state that's embracing Obamacare and it looks like I'm set for cheaper and/or better healthcare.
9 (14.1%)
I live in a state that's embracing Obamacare and it looks like I'm going to be paying more and/or get worse coverage.
5 (7.8%)
I live in a state that's embracing Obamacare and it looks like I'm largely unaffected by Obamacare, other than the effects of the general political theatre.
6 (9.4%)
My state is embracing Obamacare, but I have no clue how it will impact me personally.
1 (1.6%)
I live in a state that's rejecting Obamacare and it looks like I'm set for cheaper and/or better healthcare.
0 (0%)
I live in a state that's rejecting Obamacare and it looks like I'm going to be paying more and/or get worse coverage.
1 (1.6%)
I live in a state that's rejecting Obamacare and it looks like I'm largely unaffected by Obamacare, other than the effects of the general political theatre.
7 (10.9%)
My state is rejecting Obamacare and I have no idea how Obamacare is going to impact me.
1 (1.6%)
The American health care system doesn't affect me, but I'm watching how the whole thing plays out with interest.
20 (31.3%)
The American health care system doesn't affect me and frankly I don't care.
8 (12.5%)
Some other option because the previous 10 were not enough...
6 (9.4%)

Total Members Voted: 63

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Admiral Yi

Quote from: 11B4V on November 13, 2013, 09:23:05 PM
Name terms.

The Burton Amendment grandfathering individual insurance that does not meet the standard of the ACA gets passed in both the House and Senate.

Even money, $20 American.

Keep a balance going until someone gets to $50 bucks, then pay.  Saves on the wear and tear and postage.

alfred russel

Quote from: DGuller on November 13, 2013, 06:14:31 PM
Sigh.  Idiots.

It really depends on what they pass.

If they pass a law grandfathering in only those specific programs that were in place when Obamacare passed, the grandfathering becomes void once terms change, and no new entrants are allowed into the plans, is that really so bad? How long can the plans endure under those conditions?
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

11B4V

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 13, 2013, 09:26:09 PM
Quote from: 11B4V on November 13, 2013, 09:23:05 PM
Name terms.

The Burton Amendment grandfathering individual insurance that does not meet the standard of the ACA gets passed in both the House and Senate.

Any amendment to ACA which, "grandfathers individual insurance that does not meet the standard of the ACA gets passed in both the House and Senate"

Agreed?

QuoteEven money, $20 American.

Keep a balance going until someone gets to $50 bucks, then pay.  Saves on the wear and tear and postage.

Sounds good. Postage??? You dont have paypal??
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Admiral Yi

Any amendment which does that, has to pass both houses by 12/31/13.

No paypal.

derspiess

Quote from: 11B4V on November 13, 2013, 09:21:28 PM
They're mad because their boyz signature legislation is a clusterfuck. Oh, and they have no arguement for his lies to the American people.

Yeah, but as Meri says, it's not really his fault.  I guess that means it's the GOP's fault somehow.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

11B4V

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 13, 2013, 10:06:47 PM
Any amendment which does that, has to pass both houses by 12/31/13.

No paypal.

Need to extend the date to 04/15/14???????

merithyn

Quote from: derspiess on November 13, 2013, 10:16:19 PM
Quote from: 11B4V on November 13, 2013, 09:21:28 PM
They're mad because their boyz signature legislation is a clusterfuck. Oh, and they have no arguement for his lies to the American people.

Yeah, but as Meri says, it's not really his fault.  I guess that means it's the GOP's fault somehow.

The lies are all him. The legislation, however, is a Congress-made clusterfuck. Something had to be done, however, so Obama signed it. Better to have shit than nothing. It can be fixed later.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

derspiess

Btw, I hear leftists and "independents" all the time saying "keep Obamacare but fix all the stuff that's wrong with it".  Yet you never hear much about what they propose to fix.  What is it you think should be fixed, Meri?

garbon

Quote from: derspiess on November 13, 2013, 10:39:05 PM
Wow.

There something to be said for that if you think it is at least better than what we have currently. Rome not built in a day and all that.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

derspiess

Quote from: garbon on November 13, 2013, 10:41:05 PM
Wow.

There something to be said for that if you think it is at least better than what we have currently. Rome not built in a day and all that.

I don't think it's better than what we had.  Plus, why the urgency to stack all that shit at that particular moment in time?  Oh, yeah-- there was a healthcare "crisis" or somesuch.

Caliga

Yeah, I never understood that either.  The whole healthcare 'crisis' thing seemed to come out of nowhere.  First the economy was a big crisis (which I think was entirely accurate to say), but then out of left field it was all OMG HEALTHCARE IS BROKEN WE NEED TO FIX IT NOWNOWNOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Before like 2008 nobody really talked about healthcare being so broken since Bill and Hillary's first term when they had tried to fix it. :hmm:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

garbon

Quote from: derspiess on November 13, 2013, 10:43:42 PM
Quote from: garbon on November 13, 2013, 10:41:05 PM
Wow.

I don't think it's better than what we had.  Plus, why the urgency to stack all that shit at that particular moment in time?  Oh, yeah-- there was a healthcare "crisis" or somesuch.

I don't know that it is worse and I guess people being forced to have it might gear us up for a more sensible system. I think I said before though that I don't know enough to say whether or not it is an okay basis.

I would think probably Obama's legacy was why it was suddenly important.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Maximus

Quote from: garbon on November 13, 2013, 10:50:20 PM
I don't know that it is worse and I guess people being forced to have it might gear us up for a more sensible system. I think I said before though that I don't know enough to say whether or not it is an okay basis.

I would think probably Obama's legacy was why it was suddenly important.
This, pretty much, although I think it's is many times better than what we had.