Main Menu

Kickstarter games

Started by merithyn, August 13, 2013, 10:35:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

Quote from: merithyn on August 13, 2013, 12:28:32 PM
Quote from: Jacob on August 13, 2013, 12:10:00 PM

I'll be sure to let you know when (if) I do a kickstarter :cheers:

No joke, Jacob. Please do let us know if you do so. I would easily support any of your endeavors.

Sweet :cheers:

It's probably about a year out at this point...

I'll keep you posted, for sure.

Zanza

Only gave once so far (Project Eternity). Would have given to the new Torment as well but I missed that. Project Eternity looks promising.

Valmy

Quote from: Zanza on August 13, 2013, 01:15:27 PM
Only gave once so far (Project Eternity). Would have given to the new Torment as well but I missed that. Project Eternity looks promising.

Eternity, Wasteland 2, and Torment should all be awesome.  I eagerly await to see if my notions on this front are correct when Wasteland 2 comes out later this year :P

InExile and Obsidian seem to be poster children for companies who can make this work so their success is pretty key.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Josquius

It would be nice if a partial return on investment  if the thing sells was included  with kickstarter....
And the way groups who could get   money via conventional mean   increasingly tale advantage o  it... it is iffy
██████
██████
██████

garbon

Quote from: Tyr on August 13, 2013, 03:31:01 PM
It would be nice if a partial return on investment  if the thing sells was included  with kickstarter....
And the way groups who could get   money via conventional mean   increasingly tale advantage o  it... it is iffy

How about you delete that and try again? :P
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Larch

I've only participated in a Kickstarter campaign, but it wasn't for a videogame. It was a drive to print comic books from a webcomic I follow, as well as reprinting some old ones which were out of stock. It was wildly successful, it originally asked for less than 60k dollars and ended up making more than a million, which allowed the creator to publish and produce a lot more products that he originally intended.

Valmy

Quote from: The Larch on August 13, 2013, 03:50:31 PM
I've only participated in a Kickstarter campaign, but it wasn't for a videogame. It was a drive to print comic books from a webcomic I follow, as well as reprinting some old ones which were out of stock. It was wildly successful, it originally asked for less than 60k dollars and ended up making more than a million, which allowed the creator to publish and produce a lot more products that he originally intended.

Was it: Order of the Stick?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Larch

Quote from: Valmy on August 13, 2013, 03:59:41 PM

Was it: Order of the Stick?

:yes:

Lettow77

The only Kickstarter I have participated in was for Little Witch Academia, which did quite well. Poor Japanese scarcely know how to use Kickstarter, and it's really cute.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1311401276/little-witch-academia-2
It can't be helped...We'll have to use 'that'

Drakken

So you basically end up with you funding part of an business venture like it was charity, and the whole profit (including future profit from his creating snowballing further) goes to the creator?

That's why I distrust the concept of Kickstarter: I understand that it allows fans to see content made on intellectual property no one would have touched prior without that funding, but without rewarding this investment by dividends over the profit, which they should be entitled as this constitute in fact investment in all but name. Every cent of profit goes to the creator, while the payer ends with a product which, odds are, will end up like receiving the proverbial Halloween rock of Charlie Brown.

The Larch

Quote from: Drakken on August 13, 2013, 05:09:03 PM

So you basically end up with you funding part of an business venture like it was charity, and the whole profit (including future profit from his creating snowballing further) goes to the creator?

That's why I distrust the concept of Kickstarter: I understand that it allows fans to see content made on intellectual property no one would have touched prior without that funding, but without rewarding this investment by dividends over the profit, which they should be entitled as this constitute in fact investment in all but name. Every cent of profit goes to the creator, while the payer ends with a product which, odds are, will end up like receiving the proverbial Halloween rock of Charlie Brown.

No, I got a lot of books that I asked for and plenty of freebies to go with them.

Admiral Yi

I agree with Seduction Community.  Do it like venture capital.  Hand out shares of the upside for seed money.

The Larch

I doubt these things make a huge profit for their promoters, so splitting benefits wouldn't really be a great idea. This is an instrument for fans to support creators they like, not a business venture.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 13, 2013, 05:23:58 PM
I agree with Seduction Community.  Do it like venture capital.  Hand out shares of the upside for seed money.
Why?

The people who give money don't seem to desperately want that. They want to support people they like and be part of it. The people who get the money get to keep any profit.

It may not be for you guys but it's working.
Let's bomb Russia!