News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Kickstarter games

Started by merithyn, August 13, 2013, 10:35:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

I've backed a handful of Kickstarters, but I'm well aware of the fact that there's not really a binding contract that I get the promised product. There's some good examples, some bad ones in the books.

I was a bit surprised by Tim Schafer's DoubleFine. They asked for a couple hundred thousands for a classic point & click adventure game. They vastly exceeded that, collecting over two million. And then they went out and said, "Oops, we're going to need even more money."
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Valmy

Quote from: Syt on August 13, 2013, 11:38:00 AM
I was a bit surprised by Tim Schafer's DoubleFine. They asked for a couple hundred thousands for a classic point & click adventure game. They vastly exceeded that, collecting over two million. And then they went out and said, "Oops, we're going to need even more money."

Well the problem is that once you start getting alot more money the project expands.  And of course Tim had a hard time controlling budgets back in the day as well.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: frunk on August 13, 2013, 11:36:13 AM
The best bet is established companies and studios that have a track record of success outside of Kickstarter.

This.  I have only backed two ventures from people I have not actually played a game made by them before.  And in both cases I am prepared to lose my money.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Grey Fox

My co-worker has a Pebble, that was semi-successfull. You can buy(don't) an Ouya too.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

merithyn

So beyond the funding aspect, is this really how you guys learn about potential new games coming out? I know E3 is the big one for console games, but my son said that PC games really don't get released there. It's pretty much word of mouth via Kickstarter or some other kind of funding project unless it's a big-name company who already has a vast following.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Valmy

Yeah Ouya turned out to be sorta buggy huh?  I do not really care about consoles but I know there were hopes for that one.

Valmy

Quote from: merithyn on August 13, 2013, 11:44:43 AM
So beyond the funding aspect, is this really how you guys learn about potential new games coming out? I know E3 is the big one for console games, but my son said that PC games really don't get released there. It's pretty much word of mouth via Kickstarter or some other kind of funding project unless it's a big-name company who already has a vast following.

Pretty much.  Virtually all the games I like are primarily being made by either Paradox or kickstarters.

frunk

Of course the counterargument for going with established publishers is the ongoing debacle with the Up Front reprint.  Well, it would be if it was someone other than Valley Games.

Jacob

From what I can tell, there are few safeguards. It's not infrequent to hear stories of kickstarters where nothing gets delivered, or where it gets delivered much much later, or where the various side benefits don't materialize. It's not necessarily even about fraud; in many cases it's also people with good intentions over promising or underestimating the difficulties of delivering on their promises.

Right now, I've participated in one kickstarter - the Reaper Bones (plastic miniatures) - and it was considered a big success, even though I got my stuff about six months later than I initially expected. As I said, there are many stories of failures and what appears to be scams out there.

Personally, I'd only kickstarter something from a reputable company where the reputational risk of failing to deliver is too high for them to take their commitment lightly. I may one day do some kickstarter stuff as an indie, but I'll manage it very carefully; hopefully the well won't have been completely poisoned by then.

Ed Anger

Quote from: Valmy on August 13, 2013, 11:45:49 AM
Yeah Ouya turned out to be sorta buggy huh?  I do not really care about consoles but I know there were hopes for that one.

Boy, I'm glad I held off on that turd.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Valmy

Quote from: Jacob on August 13, 2013, 11:48:50 AM
hopefully the well won't have been completely poisoned by then.

Well people keep thinking this will happen but it does not seem to be slowing down yet.

I have my doubts this will really happen.  For some reason I just get a huge rush from participating in these things.  It just costs me a few bucks and for the length of the kickstarter (and to a lesser extent leading up to release of the product) it is a crap load of fun.

Jacob

Quote from: Valmy on August 13, 2013, 12:07:46 PMWell people keep thinking this will happen but it does not seem to be slowing down yet.

I have my doubts this will really happen.  For some reason I just get a huge rush from participating in these things.  It just costs me a few bucks and for the length of the kickstarter (and to a lesser extent leading up to release of the product) it is a crap load of fun.

I'll be sure to let you know when (if) I do a kickstarter :cheers:

Valmy

Quote from: Jacob on August 13, 2013, 12:10:00 PM
Quote from: Valmy on August 13, 2013, 12:07:46 PMWell people keep thinking this will happen but it does not seem to be slowing down yet.

Please do :)

merithyn

Quote from: Jacob on August 13, 2013, 12:10:00 PM

No joke, Jacob. Please do let us know if you do so. I would easily support any of your endeavors.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...