Supreme Court: Section 4 of Voting Rights Act Unconstitutional

Started by Kleves, June 25, 2013, 09:32:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

This cost argument makes you all sound like the conservatives wanting to defund PBS.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Razgovory

Quote from: 11B4V on June 28, 2013, 05:09:59 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on June 28, 2013, 04:52:59 PM
I had to pay 20 bucks to get my driver's license renewed.

What does that have to do with a free vote ID?

Unless the DMV is trying to make a profit, "Free" voter ID costs more then 5 dollars.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Eddie Teach

The DMV has a lot more expenses than just checking documents and making the card.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Razgovory

The DMV is the one going to be issuing a free voter ID card in most cases.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Jacob

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 28, 2013, 04:51:36 PMSeriously Jake, this is the kind of line that would have the MSNBC/Bill Maher crowd roaring with laughter and high-fiving each other over the ridiculous inconsistency of those pinhead Republicans, but five bucks for each person who doesn't have a photo ID and wants one is chump change.

:lol:

Yeah... you're right.

Like I said, if voter ID laws see no significant change in voter participation then I'll cop to being wrong on this. On the other hand, if there is appreciable lower turnout then the pious noises about it being "easy" and "cheap" to make sure people have the required ID will seem like they were just cover to not feel bad about voter suppression.

We'll see, in due time. The proof of the pudding is in the eating, and the proof of the voter ID scheme is in the participation rates.

Razgovory

DGuller

Quote from: Jacob on June 28, 2013, 05:52:26 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 28, 2013, 04:51:36 PMSeriously Jake, this is the kind of line that would have the MSNBC/Bill Maher crowd roaring with laughter and high-fiving each other over the ridiculous inconsistency of those pinhead Republicans, but five bucks for each person who doesn't have a photo ID and wants one is chump change.

Yeah... you're right.

Like I said, if voter ID laws see no significant change in voter participation then I'll cop to being wrong on this. On the other hand, if there is appreciable lower turnout then the pious noises about it being "easy" and "cheap" to make sure people have the required ID will seem like they were just cover to not feel bad about voter suppression.

We'll see, in due time. The proof of the pudding is in the eating, and the proof of the voter ID scheme is in the participation rates.
I think you're being overly generous.  I can well see the attempt to suppress votes not succeeding, or even backfiring due to backlash.  Black voters may become so infuriated that they would vote when they didn't before, and get-out-to-vote systems can be put to work to ensure that everyone remembers to get an ID and have it on hand with them.  That doesn't get attempted vote suppressors off the hook.

I think we can make the verdict now, based on the fact pf how transparently weak and pathetic the advocates of these laws sound as they try to convince themselves and others that this is a legitimate action, and not what it really is.

garbon

Quote from: DGuller on June 28, 2013, 06:21:35 PM

Yeah... you're right.

I think you're being overly generous.  I can well see the attempt to suppress votes not succeeding, or even backfiring due to backlash.  Black voters may become so infuriated that they would vote when they didn't before, and get-out-to-vote systems can be put to work to ensure that everyone remembers to get an ID and have it on hand with them.  That doesn't get attempted vote suppressors off the hook.

I think we can make the verdict now, based on the fact pf how transparently weak and pathetic the advocates of these laws sound as they try to convince themselves and others that this is a legitimate action, and not what it really is.

It's rare but I think I have to fully agree with DGul. -_-
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Jacob

Quote from: DGuller on June 28, 2013, 06:21:35 PMI think you're being overly generous.

Quite possibly. I'm 35 minutes away from a long weekend, so I'm in a good mood :cheers:

garbon

Quote from: Jacob on June 28, 2013, 06:24:50 PM
Quote from: DGuller on June 28, 2013, 06:21:35 PMI think you're being overly generous.

Quite possibly. I'm 35 minutes away from a long weekend, so I'm in a good mood :cheers:

Lame on Canada. Couldn't even get their own fucking month and had to mooch on Amercia's.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Berkut

Quote from: DGuller on June 28, 2013, 06:21:35 PM

Yeah... you're right.

Indeed. Failing at suppressing minority voting doesn't make the attempt ok.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Jacob

Quote from: garbon on June 28, 2013, 06:29:54 PMLame on Canada. Couldn't even get their own fucking month and had to mooch on Amercia's.

No reason not to copy a good thing; and a long weekend in July is good. Of course, so are long weekends in most of the other months we have stat holidays (10 in BC).

Jacob

DontSayBanana

That poorly-worded poll test made me think of the Color Study that DEVO put up a couple of years ago.  I'd link it, but it seems to have fallen off the Internet. :(
Experience bij!