The future George Zimmerman Acquittal Trial Megathread!

Started by CountDeMoney, June 20, 2013, 06:21:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on July 29, 2013, 01:15:08 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 26, 2013, 05:53:22 PM
Latina juror is making the rounds of the talk shows saying she thought Zimmerman was guilty of killing Martin but couldn't vote to convict because of the law, or somesuch.

That is interesting: a juror who actually managed to come away with some basic grasp of the standard of proof in a criminal case.   ;)

Weird that she feels the need to apologize, though.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Jacob

11B4V

How much is she getting paid for these appearances I wonder.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

fhdz

Quote from: derspiess on July 29, 2013, 02:06:05 PM
Latina juror is making the rounds of the talk shows saying she thought Zimmerman was guilty of killing Martin but couldn't vote to convict because of the law, or somesuch.

That is interesting: a juror who actually managed to come away with some basic grasp of the standard of proof in a criminal case.   ;)

Not really very weird at all. It's her coming to terms with the difference between legal guilt and obvious moral guilt.
and the horse you rode in on

garbon

Quote from: fhdz on July 30, 2013, 12:34:12 PM
Quote from: derspiess on July 29, 2013, 02:06:05 PM

Not really very weird at all. It's her coming to terms with the difference between legal guilt and obvious moral guilt.

:yes:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

DGuller

It does sound a little weird to me.  There is a difference between apologizing and expressing regret.  IMO, you should apologize only for things you would've done differently.  "I'm sorry I shot you" is an apology.  "I'm sorry I had to shoot you" is not an apology.

garbon

Quote from: DGuller on July 30, 2013, 12:37:28 PM
It does sound a little weird to me.  There is a difference between apologizing and expressing regret.  IMO, you should apologize only for things you would've done differently.  "I'm sorry I shot you" is an apology.  "I'm sorry I had to shoot you" is not an apology.

That sounds like an arbitrary distinction.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Siege

Why is it important that she is latina?
Aren't we a color blind society?
At least we were headed that way until Obama came along.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

fhdz

In both cases one is saying one would have done it differently given different circumstances.

fhdz

DGuller

Quote from: fhdz on July 30, 2013, 04:12:40 PM

In both cases one is saying one would have done it differently given different circumstances.
I disagree.  In the first case, one would have done it differently even in the same circumstances.  One is basically admitting that if one were to go back in time, one would've acted differently.

fhdz

Quote from: DGuller on July 30, 2013, 04:19:28 PM
I disagree.  In the first case, one would have done it differently even in the same circumstances.

Nobody gives a shit, because both cases are sufficient grounds for an apology.

DGuller

Quote from: fhdz on July 30, 2013, 04:24:49 PM
I disagree.  In the first case, one would have done it differently even in the same circumstances.

You gave a shit, so I responded.  Don't retrospectively stop giving a shit.

garbon

Quote from: fhdz on July 30, 2013, 04:24:49 PM

That's why I said it felt arbitrary.  Regretting something doesn't negate an apology situation nor does an apology situation negate regrets.  I don't really see that the two are remarkedly different.