News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Exodus International Shuts Down

Started by garbon, June 20, 2013, 08:25:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

derspiess

At least I finally got some kind of response with that.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

merithyn

Quote from: Tyr on June 20, 2013, 10:46:58 PM
Yeah, I think it is mostly a case of nurture over nature.
Though I would be willing to believe that the chance of a  kid being gay can be reduced through genetic tampering.

Oh dear god in heaven, shut the fuck up, will you, until you know what the fuck you're talking about?

If it were nurture over nature, don't you think these groups would have seen results instead of now apologizing for destroying lives for several decades?? It is not a choice. It's not a "teaching". It's who a person is, inside and out, from birth on.

It may not be genetic, but it is most assuradly NOT "nature vs nurture", you dithering idiot. Christ, it's ignorance like that that has held people back for so long. :glare:
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Eddie Teach

Quote from: merithyn on June 21, 2013, 08:59:29 AM
If it were nurture over nature, don't you think these groups would have seen results instead of now apologizing for destroying lives for several decades??

I believe these groups tend to work with adults or adolescents. And of course the theories on the "nurture" side typically don't say that people are gay because they were told it was ok or straight because they were told it wasn't. So don't see how the failure of these programs says anything of the sort.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

merithyn

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on June 21, 2013, 09:25:36 AM
If it were nurture over nature, don't you think these groups would have seen results instead of now apologizing for destroying lives for several decades??

I believe these groups tend to work with adults or adolescents. And of course the theories on the "nurture" side typically don't say that people are gay because they were told it was ok or straight because they were told it wasn't. So don't see how the failure of these programs says anything of the sort.

Sorry, but I know you're not that stupid, ie this trolling is obvious.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Valmy

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on June 21, 2013, 09:25:36 AM

What do the theories on the "nurture" side say?  There are predictable and reproduceable environmental elements that determine sexuality?  Hmmm...
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Eddie Teach

Have we located the "gay gene" yet that Raz can exclude it from his designer babies?

I'd say the evidence regarding homosexual affinity is inconclusive. But clearly homosexual activity highly varies depending on environmental factors.

Valmy

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on June 21, 2013, 09:47:12 AM
But clearly homosexual activity highly varies depending on environmental factors.

Low light and soft music?

QuoteHave we located the "gay gene" yet that Raz can exclude it from his designer babies?

The theory is that it is hormonal.  Thus it would be predictable and repoduceable and thus an actual, you know, theory.  Not some vague mumbo-jumbo.

Josquius

Yeah, I think it is mostly a case of nurture over nature.
Though I would be willing to believe that the chance of a  kid being gay can be reduced through genetic tampering.

Oh dear god in heaven, shut the fuck up, will you, until you know what the fuck you're talking about?

If it were nurture over nature, don't you think these groups would have seen results instead of now apologizing for destroying lives for several decades?? It is not a choice. It's not a "teaching". It's who a person is, inside and out, from birth on.

It may not be genetic, but it is most assuradly NOT "nature vs nurture", you dithering idiot. Christ, it's ignorance like that that has held people back for so long. :glare:
:lmfao:
You clearly know nothing of nature vs nurture.
As Mr.Wiggin says they're dealing with adults with fully formed personalities. Well beyond the point of nurture.
I'd say its the born this way, its in the genes, crowd that do far more to hold people back. Saying its all in the genes makes it sound like a simple problem for which an off switch can be found, as opposed to a really complicated part of a person's psyche.
██████
██████
██████

Neil

So, if it's hormonal, can we cure adult gays, or is the damage already done by then?  Would a cure have to be applied at a particular point in their development?
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Eddie Teach

I suppose theories aren't like assholes, in that I don't actually have one. I'm just skeptical of the conventional pc dogma that one's sexuality is already determined at birth.

Admiral Yi

You really need to take a chill pill Meri.  :huh:

Iormlund

I'd think with homosexuality being a tick box a lot of parents would choose a straight kid.
A lot of the time I don't think it would be so much that a kid is gay which is the problem, but that due to being gay the prospect of grandkids has been cut off. The line ends with them.

That's silly. If the technology is cheap enough for everyone to choose which embryo to carry to term, lesbians can use it just as well to have gay children with their own genetic material. And if you are gay, you can always use a surrogate mother.

Malthus

I think that what will happen is that by the time the ability to determine the sexual orientation of a child is determined, sexual orientation will no longer be the big important social marker it is today, and so few will care.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius